Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

I’m not sure what region you live in or what the insulation is like in your attic but if your attic gets hot enough you may not need much to heat your water. Here in Texas summer temps in an attic can reach 140. That’s plenty hot for bathing or what have you. You mentioned a fireplace. Is it a solid brick chimney or does it have a stovepipe insert? If it’s an insert you could wrap the stovepipe with some copper tubing and use that as your circulation loop. That way you would be able to heat water while you heat your home in the winter or if electricity is out. You could circulate the water with a 12 volt pump run on a car battery with a solar charger. If you have a insulated attic you could just spool a couple hundred feet of water hose on your roof durring the summer and use that as your loop. Just trying to help with some A/C free options.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

matt76, interesting info about the fire place pipe to heat the water.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

74 – if you could clone yourself you’d make a fortune – you have skills I will never have in my lifetime. Bless you!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Tweva,
    No clones but I have 2 kids. I haven’t made a fortune any other way so I might try that.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Matt76,
    I live where it gets cold in the winter, everything freezes.

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Some great plans, there Mr. 74!

The “Hot Attic” theory would need a radiator/heat exchanger.

Convective Flow might circulate enough, if hot enough.

Worth a try! No pump needed… ;)

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Finally got around to taking a picture of how some of my rain barrels are set up. I got them (Fiskars) at one of my stores for $20 each. The thing on the downspout diverts the water into the barrels of course. I have others that are just blue barrels I got from a friend who was moving.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I like the little shelf you put them on. These barrels look like they were made for spigots, nice feature to have.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Great setup. These water barrels look close to the color of the building which you will have a hard time seeing them since they blend in. The blue ones stand out.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Yes 74 – I attach one of those lightweight new hoses to water when I have to – or just fill a can from them. I did have to seal them with silicone after the first year as they were leaking around the spigots (maybe plastic shrunk?) The shelf is actually the back part of the deck of a covered deck beside the pool with a storage area for changing/equipment etc. The height worked great for gravity feed.

Freedom the blue barrels are no longer blue – they are painted the color of the building they are beside (I didn’t take pictures of them because there is a stallion down in that paddock right now I am keeping for a friend and that boy is not a friendly critter!)

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.