Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

We all have been very busy putting back nonperishable food items for a rainy day. I was looking for a source of fresh meat that would not cost a lot of calories to produce. After a little studying I settled on rabbits. Cows or other large livestock produce a lot of meat but they require a good amount of space and lots of feed. The reproductive rate on large animals is pretty slow as well. You also have to have a way to store the meat that is not immediately consumed. Rabbits on the other hand are family meal sized, have a short 32 day gestation period, have large litters and are ready for consumption in as little as 60-90 days. Another great thing about rabbits is they don’t take up much room. You only need about a 2’x2′ area per rabbit. We have built a portable pen that we can move around the yard so they can feed on the grass if we start running out of feed during SHTF. The byproduct of rabbits is useful too. It makes great fertilizer and does not have to be composted before use. The average female can have 4-6 litters per year. They are actually capable of more but it would be a heavy strain on her and would shorten her lifespan. The average litter is about 6-8 kits. If you did a conservative estimation of 5 per litter, one pair of rabbits could produce 20-30 in just one year. If you were to breed the offspring instead of eating them you could expect an additional 50 or so. I think they are a great option for anybody with even a small yard.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Yes they are a good option. I don’t have any and at this time don’t plan on it on account I don’t want to be tied down with animal care, but come SHTF, many of us will have rabbits.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Pigs are another one , more work , but they reproduce fairly quickly , and they will eat anything . SHTF disposal units , not as bad a s a goat , but not fussy either .

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Good point Tolik. Pigs will have “other” valuable uses during SHTF as well. We had considered pigs too. The only problem with them is how stout of a pen that is required to keep them in. I have read about a breed of pig called pasture pigs. They do not root but actually graze on grass. Our family actually bought a piece of property last year as a BOL. Turns out it has a pretty good herd of wild hogs running on it. We decided to forgo the pigs and just build a coral trap when SHTF. We can catch them as needed and they can forage on their own without us having to feed them.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

MB,
    You can actually set up a free choice feeder for them that will provide food for a week or two. You can also set up a watering system with a little lick fitting that will provide them with water when you are not there. I travel a lot for work and set mine up that way so no one has to take care of them while I’m gone. My kids still go check on them but it isn’t necessary. I think it is more for their own enjoyment.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.