Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Howdy Selco…

Got a question for you.

During your time in the cauldron, how important a role did music play in keeping people’s spirits up?

What prompted me to ask this, is I was listening to some music that dates back to our own Civil War (“Cumberland Gap” – 2nd South Carolina Band, in case anyone is interested), and I realized that folks banged out songs on home-made instruments more to tell stories and keep morale up than anything else… the songs are filled with history and humor – sometimes what’s called “Gallows Humor” – and sadness and hope… and even a little bit of trolling, if you care to listen close. These songs were handed down over the generations and were recorded early in the 20th century, more for posterity than anything else…

Our own Civil War was a horrendous time… folks were dying like flies from everything imagineable – war, starvation, disease, ambush, feud, privation, murder and probably suicide… and the thing is, they knew there was no “help” on the way… they had to do for themselves, however they could. Music was probably one of the few ways to provide an emotional and psychological release – a pressure valve – otherwise, I think it would have been much worse than it was. I’m sure they didn’t think of it in those terms, but I think that’s what it was…

Music, coupled with strong religious beliefs, kept folks sane and kept them going… wondering if you all used the same methods to keep morale up. And if not, then what did you all do to keep morale up?

Thanks…

Oh, here’s the song that prompted this thread… found it on SpewT00b… I got the CD’s, but I hunted it down for y’all… and if you Yankees don’t like it, well Kirby Smith, Nathan Bedford Forrest and them boys kicked y’all’s ass pretty good, so neener neener.. :)

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Naw. Doesn’t do it for me. How about (sorry I don’t know how to embed the video itself.)

Of course for the last 400+ years none of my ancestors came from further south or further west than NJ, so maybe the cold has affected my genetic makeup……

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus and MountainBiker, love the songs, thanks guys for posting. I do think they are very important to keep the morals up when there is a SHTF time.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

We don’t realize it but music touch almost every aspect of our lives. Sound tracks for movies, sporting events yoh name it. Music has always been used to set our mood. How bout this one

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=50_iRIcxsz0

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

MountainBiker,

Okay Yankee…. how about this one? I got it on CD, so I had to hunt it down…

If you listen to this and not feel anything, then you ain’t got no soul… just a dried up sack of acid soaked gravel where your heart should be…

What kind of hardships would have motivated someone to write a song as mournful as this appeal to Heaven? To me, it sounds like a desperate cry for deliverance, for divine intervention… I can’t conceive of a life that hard…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

LOL, thanks folks. Great way to start the day! Seriously, my experience in SHTF conditions good morale is source of strength …fostering resilience. Music good one, stories, successful action (even ‘small’ successes)…

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Main task of the music in that time was to boost morale. It was used like “call” to fight, or to start and keep the “fire”, rage, and hate many times.

I remember in some rare situations that some song that I had chance to hear was almost like bringing the peace again. I mean to hear some familiar and good song was almost like medicine for soul, maybe memory from better time, or simply sign of hope.
    Years have passed from that happenings and war and fights, but I still sometimes need to turn off radio when I heard some song that had and have special meaning for me, that reminds me on something bad and sad that happened then.

Music have power, or better to say is music is power.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

OK Malgus, I liked that one. And so that you know, looks like my granddaughters are going to Southerners being they were born in NC and there’s no indication from my daughter and her hubby that they plan to come back to New England.

For anyone here that didn’t listen to the music that Leopard posted a while back, even though it is in Afrikaans and I don’t understand a word he is saying, I feel the power of the story he is telling and found myself wishing we had a patriotic singer of his caliber. I went and found other music by him and listen to it periodically.

Leopard posted this with a translation in the South Africa thread in News & Current Events forum. I pulled the video from YouTube and then added Leopard’s translation:

Every time you hear the thunder and the rain drops fall on the ground – that has just been lend to us
    You feel like a ghost because you stand alone
    In the land of milk and honey
    You know I would have built you a railway line
    From the northern dessert to the old Karoo
    I want to keep you safe

But who can I trust
    You know we cannot loose this way
    This is not what I want to hear
    Every time you hear the thunder and the rain drops fall on the ground that just been lend to us
    You feel like a ghost because you stand alone.
    In the land of milk and honey

You look at me, but your eyes are empty
    Your feet are not moving
    You know you need to leave
    You are broken down. Now, tell me
    Where is the land of milk and honey?

They are taking from us
    Our rights are broken down
    They think what we’ve got left
    We got just like that
    But it took sweat and blood
    Now it is going to eat our lives
    Do we fight for our human rights?
    So easily forgotten
    – See more at: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/south-african-news/page/4/#sthash.vHfIazvx.dpuf

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.