Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dot. Roger
    Dot. Roger
    Medic
    member2

Hello Brethrens,

I have stumbled upon years ago about a genius named Geoffrey Pyke, who during world war two had an idea of making ships and armour from Pykrete. A mix of sawdust, wood pulp or even newspaper with water and than freezing them together as a means of protection.

I can tell you that the downside of such a system is only applicable in cold weather(freezing temperatures better said)

However, if there should be a situation where you are in a very cold climate with limited ressources and potential attack on your BOL, every inch of cover and protection is worth considering.

Let me know what you think of this idea and please share what and how you would make these work.

P.S Here is the link below of wikipedia and pykrete. On Youtube there are also videos which shows how impressive the material is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pykrete

Take care and stay safe,

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Interesting, may hold up if you are in a cold weather location. I am not sure how good it will hold up to a shoot of .223 or .308 or even handgun ammo. I would make a small wall of it and take a shoot at it to see how it holds up.

Profile photo of Dot. Roger
    Dot. Roger
    Medic
    member2

That would be interesting to know since half of the year is winter. So it can hold up. I know that Selco will be shaking his head with disbelief with what he is reading. But I believe the more you know and understand how things function, the better.

I am just curious by what everyone else thinks.

Keep me posted Freedom on how things work out. Thanks for commenting.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Roger,
    It will be a lot of work making blocks or poured walls for only half the year. You could expend the same labor hours on more permanent structures that last for years. Of course if you make 6′ thick walls and use hay bales for insulation on each side maybe they would never melt.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Such a ship was built. At the onset of WWII there was a gap in the air protection for Allies convoys. A Pykrete aircraft carrier was thought to be the answer. So a trial ship was built. The proposed area of operations would be in the North Atlantic were it stays cold. About the time they had all the kinks worked out along came fighters that could span the open water distance.
    Robin

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Interesting. While I agree with 74 that the effort might be better deployed on a more permanent solution, it never hurts to have more weapons in your arsenal so to speak. It could be that the need isn’t long term and the pykrete option can be more quickly deployed in an emergency than your other options.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.