Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Would Putin commit suicide by letting his missiles fly against the United States? No. Rather, he would respond with a limited nuclear strike against a couple of European capitals — not London or Paris, but smaller ones, presumably in Eastern European countries that have only recently joined NATO. Warsaw, against which Russia has already conducted a drill simulating a Russian nuclear attack, first comes to mind. Or, say, Vilnius, Lithuania’s capital. The point is,
    I believe this is the problem.
    “Putin would bet on decision-makers in Washington, Berlin, London, and Paris not retaliating with nuclear weapons against Russia if it had “only” hit a city or two most Westerners have barely heard of — and certainly do not want to die for”

The outcome of Putin’s putative gambit is that NATO effectively capitulates. The alliance’s credibility as guarantor of security for its member states would be utterly destroyed, as would U.S. hegemony, which largely rests on the threat of using force. Putin would then be free to do what he wanted in Ukraine and anywhere else he perceived Russia’s interests to be threatened.

http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2014/09/04/putins_nuclear_option_russia_weapons

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, I believe this will not happen because a nuclear weapon is shoot in the air in the direction of eastern Europe the rest of Europe for the first minutes do not know if it is coming to them and this may start the nuclear weapons being shoot from Europe too! NATO may think it is going to them. They will not wait for them to land so they will shoot back. Just thinking out loud.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Very interesting concept, though it would be an extremely dangerous move on his part. What I have been wondering is why this Ukraine thing is dragging on for so long. It is clear that neither the US or NATO is going to stop Russia from taking as much of Ukraine that they want, up to and including the entire country, so why not just get it over with?

If I were Latvia/Lithuania/Estonia, I’d be nervous being between the Russian mainland and that little piece of Russian territory next to Lithuania. Maybe Russia wants a land bridge to that territory? The many ethnic Russians in the Baltics give him an edge if he pursues that route.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

MountainBiker, I also wonder about why Russia(Putin) has not just taken Ukraine already? Something is going on that we do not know.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free, The distances in Europe are so close that there is only a few minutes from launch to detonation. Not enough time to communicate the hazard to a politician and get orders back. Anyway it is like the bully in the school yard with no one that will hit him back. BTW I read a article about China making the same anaisys regarding an attack on Taiwan. They figure as long as they don’t directly engage the US (no attacks on warships) that the US would not risk intervention fearing a nuclear war.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Are we going back to the 1950’s propaganda again ? REALLY !

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Tolik wrote:</div>Are we going back to the 1950′s propaganda again ? REALLY !

Sure why not, I missed back then. What specifically do you find objectionable?

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Not objectionable , but any nuclear use by any side in this day and age , will bring down global wrath . It’s considered too bad , too uncivilized , too inhumane , etc ………….its the big no no . Putin is not an idiot , he knows this , and even on a small scale , any nuclear weapon used by any side , starts a chain reaction with all nuclear capable countries , they have to go on alert , and thats when things have a good possibility of getting out of control fast . Thats why nothing happened between the US and Soviet Union , too risky for either side , and why all sides go to great pains to keep things conventional . If dropping a nuke , even a small one , was that simple , we could have used that in Iraq and Afghanistan , and not had to be there for years on end . Just Sayin .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Agree with Tolik. There will be no nukes.

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

Also, it would offer an enormously “bad” example for “aspiring” nations, like Iran, for example.

It would simply mean, all those non-proliferation and promises of defence treaties are not worth the paper..

TPTB afraid of true, real, organic chaos that can arise. No, they won’t allow that.

P.S. Putin (as any other Muppet at Kremlin) is currently still under spell of that half-Tribal mummy in the zikkurat, nothing “real” will be allowed to happen until the mummy and its energy channels are neutralized.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.