Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

A friend sent me this article which made me scratch my head & wonder how folks might become more ‘psychopath-like’ in SHTF. How might one benefit from understanding this psychological phenomena in SHTF scenarios. The research also brought back various points Selco made in his SHTF course–how conditions of survival changed people and what they are willing to do to live.

‘Why psychopaths are more successful’ article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/10788449/Why-psychopaths-are-more-successful.html

“”It was through this research that he met retired SAS sergeant and bestselling author McNab, who in tests exhibited many of these psychopathic traits, including ruthlessness, fearlessness, impulsivity, reduced empathy, developed self-confidence and lack of remorse.
    There’s no one thing that makes a psychopath, Dutton explains. You want to think of those traits being like the dials on a studio mixing desk, that you can turn up and down in different situations – if they’re all turned up to maximum, then you’re a dysfunctional psychopath.
    Being a psychopath isn’t black and white; it’s a spectrum, like height and weight.””

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Ok now im scratching my head. He makes some very valid points.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I’ve long thought there are a lot more psychopaths around than people imagine, or that the official figures reveal. As long as things go well they try to remain hidden, knowing they must resemble others to be socially acceptable, but if things go bad they will do what they want, either to survive, or because they enjoy it and figure there will be no repercussions on them for their actions.

My opinion, of course, doesn’t amount to proof and I hope I’m wrong about their numbers, but having been on the receiving end of a number of them during my life I don’t believe I am wrong.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

People have they daily routines, their jobs, families, safety, car, gym, friends, barbecue, police protecting them, doctors healing them…
    And then one day all that is gone and they need to go out to find water to drink, food for their kids and defend their home, their world is finished, and some new world is came.

In that situation people change, some adapt, other not. And people react different. You never know how your first neighbor will react. Actually you can be prepared and ready, but still YOU can be surprised with some of your emotions and reactions when SHTF, not to mention how other people who do not know what world prepper means will react.
    So be prepared that even people who are “normal” will become not normal because it is not normal situation.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

This is true, but there those who change and do what they must because they are desperate, and those who never had a moral compass to begin with and see a crisis as an opportunity to let loose with who they are inside without fear of punnishment. What do you think?

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Of course, I often mention that there is whole bunch of people waiting for the S. to hit the fan to go out and fulfill their dreams, they actually waiting for it.

SHTF will be their time to rise.

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

My wife is a psychotherapist.  What disturbs her the most, is the number of young people that have no moral compass.  She is seeing more and more that exhibit anti-social narcissistic behavior.  I want what I want and I want it now.  If you will not give it to me, I’ll take it.  What’s disturbing is that many of these young people come from loving families that have done everything they can to raise productive members of society.

Now add the stress of a SHTF scenario, and you can see the disaster waiting to happen.  If mature adults, that have always been stable members of society lose their perspective, imagine how these young people will act out.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

As someone who lives with and associates with younger people (22-27 yrs) I can tell you that this behavior is quite real. People my age (and even more so in the younger ones of 16-20yrs) are completely without any sense of humility or societal awareness. Their creed is selfishness. Who cares about everyone else, as long as I get mine. They do not care about anyone but themselves, not in the least bit.

They’re also completely irrational. “I’m gonna go back to school since I didn’t find a job yet. That debt? I’m sure it will just go away somehow.”

In my generation, I am very much a lonely, near-extinct species. I am fortunate to have found a few friends that are like me.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I think that when SHTF, the majority will be in a deep shock for the first few days. They truly believe the system and the United States is completely invincible. But once that shock wears off, these people will be monsters. The guys especially so. The way the guys my age look at my girlfriend like a piece of meat now in civilized times… I can only imagine what they’ll be like when SHTF. I mean guys have always naturally been that way, yeah, but this is different.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

It is same everywhere WhiteKnight. People everywhere think that bad things not gonna happen to them, even if they do not trust blindly in the system.

We had 20 years ago war, when everything collapsed, but today here most of the folks do not want to think how it is easy for everything to collapse, So even here where society is pretty shi..y , even here where people remember very well what happened, they still believe (again) that nothing bad can happen to them.

It is in human nature.

Profile photo of Shinmen Takezo
    Shinmen Takezo
    Survivalist
    member1

I just purchased a house in a mountain community away from the big ugly cities…. and what I have discovered there is that 1/2 of these people are capital “L” looser/psychopaths. The descriptor in the OP suits many of them to a “T”.  They are not away in the rural areas because they are rocket scientists, they are there because they are the opposite of rocket scientists.  Fortunately the people who live immediately around our spread a have “jobs” and are real people… but I worry about when SHTF hits.  How many of the marginal psycho people are going to be coming door to door looking for cans of baked beans and bottles of Avian water.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.