Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MtB,
    Good advice, making sure you/family are being treated properly by Dr’s, nurses and staff is part of ensuring safety and health. Unfortunately it’s like trying to find a knowledgeable and fair car mechanic.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

This is why we do it all ourselves. I am finishing a Physician’s assistant (PA) in another year (Hopefully) and am currently a nurse. I was an EMT for years as well. I prefer Naturopathic remedies which we make ourselves, and nobody has been to the doctors in13 years and that was only to deliver. We are so much better off this way, IMO..

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I may have said this before but when I was a kid my grandmother did all the “doctoring” for us, unless we needed surgery, stitches, or vaccinations. My guess is she’d of done the stitches too if my mother let her. She had grown up on a remote farm in the Gaspe part of Quebec where there wouldn’t have been a real doctor. I wish I had known how valuable it could have been to learn from her, but I was only 19 when she died and such things never occurred to me back then.

Tukie, a nurse/PA/EMT background will make you a valued member of any community you find yourself in come a post-SHTF era.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

I am a firm believer in Mountain medicine. My old Chemistry teacher was one of the people they started talking to about making modern medicine. She was in on the ground floor with making aspirin…she lived in Appalachian mountains and they came asking about the willow bark and other plants to start researching …she was a fascinating woman. Still teaching in college at 85 years old.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tukie, I had to look that up about asprin.
    Aspirin was first synthesized by Felix Hoffmann, a chemist with the German company Bayer in 1897.

She could have made her own from willow bark though as a chemist.

The active ingredient of aspirin was first discovered from the bark of the willow tree in 1763 by Edward Stone of Wadham College, University of Oxford. Wikipedia

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

Thank you for that clarification. Maybe it was for mass production? She told us about it in class, they started with her mom when she was young, and she took over when she was old enough. She would tell us how they isolated the plant source and learned how to synthesize it.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tukie,
    Really hard to say without the ability to ask her.

Profile photo of tukie2
    tukie2
    Survivalist
    member3

I am pretty sure she has passed away…either than or she would be around 95 now.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thats to bad. A lot of people have huge stores of knowledge to share and only a little while to pass it on.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.