Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

I’m posting this here because this just happened to one of my customers and people need to be aware of this practice. We had a customer leave the firing range at the store and they put there gun in the trunk left and stopped at a restaurant to pick up togo for the family on their way home. He wasn’t in the restaurant 10 minutes and when he came out his trunk was broken into and the gun was gone. Be aware of your surroundings when you leave the range watch to make sure that no one is following you!!!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Will have to keep you eye open all the time, times are hard, no jobs.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

freedom is right, being aware of one’s surroundings is always important. My wife and her friend were in New Mexico earlier this year and came out of a store at about closing time. This was at night in Albuquerque. They were fiddling around re-arranging stuff in the rental car before leaving and not paying attention to their surroundings. All of a sudden a guy appears out of nowhere and being too startled to really see who the guy is they think they’re about to be mugged, but it turns out it was a cop. He asked if they were OK and then told them that it wasn’t safe to be there alone at night. It could have turned out very different had it been someone other than the cop.

Coming back to gun thefts, I believe a good proportion of the guns used in crimes had been stolen beforehand.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Yes, all criminals buy there guns from other criminals.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

About 12 years ago a friend was getting ready to go shooting.
    He went back into the house for one last load of gear, came back out seconds later and they had snagged three pistols off the back seat.
    The back window of his jeep had been broken out to get in.

The funny part, he was a jailer for the local SO at the rime.

The PD actually tracked him down last year to return one of them to him. And despite his moving from NC to TX, they had no problem finding him and UPS’ d the first directly to him,
    They’re still looking for the others.

A couple of years back, a resident called the PD to report a stolen gun. Seems he kept a Ruger 10/22 in the garage, but it was gone. He couldn’t remember the last time he had seen it, or last used it. Best of all, he didn’t have the serial number and routinely left the garage door open 24 hours a day.

Security is up to you.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Good advice. Situational awareness. My dog usually stays out in the truck when I’m in the store or restaurant.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Whenever I head out to the range, I try to grab all the guns last when loading the car. I also pull my car up to the front walk and wait until I think nobody is looking before I quickly head out and drop them in the trunk. I take note of anyone who sees me. Good reminder though!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I think the Saudi’s have it right , thieves get their hand cut off . for other things it’s the head .

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Theft ticks me off SO much. You work your tail off to EARN something and some self absorbed FSA member comes by and just takes it… GRRR!!! Stealing something like a firearm has got to be the top of my list, though.

When I was deployed (many years ago) our babysitter stole 2 of my pistols along with lots of jewelry, watches, coats, appliances, etc. We were living in Kalifornia at the time so when they found my pistols, they would not return them because they were seized in a drug raid. Both were destroyed…… Such a waste.

I know that I don’t protect my firearms nearly enough at my home and I even keep a disassembled rifle in my truck with parts scattered in different compartments and locations. One of these days I need to upgrade to a safe at home rather than “security cabinets,” but money has been tight until I picked up a second job. I am sure I will get a couple small safes soon, though.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

+1 for Gun Storage Safety!

I’m thinking of hidden safes…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

undeRGRond that is a great idea, hid them in the back of a closet and build a wall that you can open up and the safe is behind. Also can hind a gun in a baseboard of a wall, make it were you can open the baseboard up. If you have a room with two closets you may find a way to hide the safe there and close the closet with a wall that you can open.

There are many ideas. Since you are an electrician you have been around construction sites and see the way they are built. There are many areas to hide a gun and some ammo.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Unused space and “chases” are good for a stash or cache of weapons.
    A chase is an access runway, like between an attic and basement. Wiring and sometimes plumbing is ran through a chase. More common in older houses and industrial structures. Having a closet that could be made “less deep” would be a big plus, but make sure that it is not “her closet” :D

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Keep a Truck Vault in the pickup and passenger vehicle when I need to take them with me. They are my responsibility so they are either on my person or in the vault when away from home.

Have a truck vault under the bed for handgun and shotgun, welded to the steel beam of the house in the basement, one in the barn for the extras. Around here the big safes surprisingly don’t always stop someone – they’ll steal the darn things when no one home. Lots of people around here have a long commute and are gone for hours.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Good Thinking, Tweva!

My family loved the drone/skeet story :D

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

you can make an armory… concrete walls metal outside metal inside with wooden floors everything in one once you subdivide room if you want the door to be non vault and nice looking get a http://surcelikkapi.com/en/index.php

make sure you have ventilation as a sealed room with vault door can suffocate you

failing all of that you can get a set of old government surplus lockers or filing cabinets…yeah the old stuff from 50 and drill inserts into the floor put a good lock on it so you cant open crappy lock with a piece of pop can or bolt cutter. we welded a job box housing over a new lock loop total cost $5 and 1 hour of work

you can make steel magnetic lock boxes and cut them into car seats especially ones that fold and you dont use to transport people so you dont violate any “safety” protocols have them open with a fob key and a hidden button. most thieves wont tear up car seats that is something personal not just for the sake of money. even if they find box they will have to unmounted it and cut through top when magnetic locks engage all the way around there is no way to open them making the box out of 1/2 inch steel pretty much precludes an easy cut want to be a real bastard carbon fiber the outside grinding wheels and torches will become a major pain or destroy whats inside.

bolt through the frame but use another plate on backside so if they try to pry it they will have to pry through a plate same size as the box with 4 heavy bolts… most will give up before that. weld the heads and bolts to the plate and plate to the frame. 2 day job

for super cheap method

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Lockable-Ammo-Case/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.