Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Darin Prentice
    Darin Prentice
    Survivalist
    member4

i suffered a heart attack some years ago so im on bloodthinners and such… i practice my slow breathing and control much of my functions by pacing my movements with my breathing. anyway im on my gold claim and packing out a trash pump on my back. {cottonwood river valley, in the cariboo mountains, central B.C.} and i stepped into a shadow beside the path, nothing was there and i fell 30 feet against a tree, the 100lb pump crashed into my head against the tree and split my head open, tore muscles and ligaments down my whole left side. there was fog for a moment, i move each finger and count them, recite where i am and what im doing, automaticaly i asses my body damage, a flap of skin the size of my hand covered my forehead, i had clean neoprene gloves so i put it on and folded it back into place and held it in place. with hand on head, i decide to ditch all gear and try to make it to the top of the mountain range as light as possable. some real slow going, trying not to hyper ventilate, and keep my pulse regular. a couple times things got spinny, almost past out. eventually i made it to my car, i drove to the highway, yes still holding my head together. about twenty minutes later i made it to our secondary camp, and being out of gas i grabbed a jerry can and filled the car. at this point an hour has passed the blood dries down y left side, the sky was brighter, fog was thicker, getting dizzy… so i breath and control. my partners showed up at that moment and i had to laugh. they said they werent sure if i was walking dead and didnt know it. well after a essential first aid assesment from them, they drove me to a hospital 50 miles away. the nurse said that for the medication im on she is very surprised i made it out alive. me too…. i value my survival to meditation, knowledge of my own body and functions coupled with basic survival skills. a strong frame of mind helps too. i could write a book on this but for now thats my story… be confident and dont doubt your ability. you know what you know, even if no one understands. PREPARE, PRESERVE, PROTECT….

Prepare, Preserve, Protect...

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for sharing the story Darin.
    Scary experience, but you made it, staying focused and not panicking.

Profile photo of Ox
    Ox
    Survivalist
    rprepper

It’s amazing how fast a regular day turns to a steaming pile of puppy ****, isn’t it? The reason you made it out and survived is because of your mind. You have “it”. Meaning the will and the fight inside your mind to overcome harsh things.
    If your mind is set your body will follow whether it wants to or not. Well done! Many people would have turned to despair and layed down to give up.

This is what it’s all about – those who will survive are those who have “it”. Someone with nothing and “it” will live longer than someone with everything and no “it”. However, most people don’t know if they have “it” until a situation presents itself that forces them into an unknown part of themselves. I think some people may be surprised at what they’re capable of and others will be ashamed of themselves because they aren’t as capable and tough as what they thought.
    People who think they know these people will be surprised as well. Think of a meek, mild mannered housewife and stay at home mother stepping up and overcoming all odds vs. a rough ex-military man who just says “screw it” and gives up. You never really know, do you?
    Keep up the good fight.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

That sounds intense! Shows again how life changing and threatening events can happen every day. What did you do when you felt you were about to pass out? Just stop and slow down?

I agree Ox, there is much more in most of us than we can imagine. I like hiking and mountaineering because of this because you push yourself out of your comfort zone and just keep going.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Darin,
    Glad you made it out!
    You had the will to survive, which is almost more important than any survival skills we can learn.
    Hannah

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.