Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Put yourself in the guards shoes. What would you do? Most of those guards are just like you and I. Several people in my family are or have been prison guards at the state penitentiary near where I live. I believe they might release some but most of the inmates would probably be shot and rightfully so. Think about this. Most of the guards at any facility live relatively close to the institution they work in. If they pick and choose who to shoot there very well could be an inmate left alive that watched a guard shoot a friend. What’s to keep that inmate from seeking revenge once he gets free. The inmate may not know where the guard lives but as he wanders away to try and go home, what if he does stumble across the guard. It’s not worth the risk. It is another one of those questions that is pretty much impossible to answer unless you are in that moment. As much as I hate to say it they should all be shot even though some “innocent” people may be killed. Better safe that sorry. I also think it would be easier to deal with emotionally if you shot them all as apposed to playing god and deciding who lives and dies.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

On one thread the talk is give all the felons the right to own guns and on this thread people want to shoot everyone felon or not to be safe.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

@ matt

Interesting…

They would shoot the inmates out of a sense of self-interest and self-preservation, and not some sense of altruistic “greater good”….

I applaud their honesty. Most people act out of self-interest. Few admit it.

Bravo.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

@ 74,

Seems contradictory, yeah? :)

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

No comment

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

In a SHTF time thinks do change, felons have not prepared, stored food etc. So you will think that they all will do anything to survive.

Profile photo of Vep
    Vep
    Survivalist
    member4

It depends upon what SHTF actually is. Most collapses tend not to happen overnight, and prisons tend to stay functioning in all but the worst situations. Prisons are where governments in a crisis like to dump those that disagree with them.

As things get bad, expect prison populations to swell with dissidents and ‘criminals’ who are really just political prisoners.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

@ 74,

You: On one thread the talk is give all the felons the right to own guns and on this thread people want to shoot everyone felon or not to be safe.

Me: Seems contradictory, yeah? :)

You: No comment

Me: Except we’re not advocating “shooting everyone, felon or not, to be safe”… are we? My comment was originally meant to tweak you a little, out of fun… no harm in fun, is there?

But, your intentional mis-statement aside, my position isn’t contradictory. It’s very simple.

If a person commits a violent crime against another person, punishment should be swift and merciless. If they don’t rate execution, and will be released eventually, then their suspended rights should be restored in full.

If they are deemed too dangerous to be trusted with all their rights, then they should not be released. Those who have not committed a violent crime, but are only guilty of violating some stupid regulation, should not be in prison in the first place, nor stuck with the stigma of “felon” following them around forever…

Which leaves, by default, only violent criminals in prison who do not rate execution. In a SHTF scenario, instead of releasing these individuals who we have already deemed too dangerous to trust on the outside, their life sentences are converted to execution – to be carried out immediately.

See? Not contradictory at all.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Vep,
    I think you have laid out the most likely scenario. I don’t doubt there would be various anomalies though. One thing about supplies, I don’t think the vast stores of food etc really exist.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Mal I had not considered it quite so bluntly as you put it but I guess shooting them would be in mode of self preservation. This facility is actually several units spread throughout the county. Things may be different in smaller facilities but the facility here is quite large with 15,400 some odd inmates. Some of the worst of the worst are here. I believe it would be a service to the greater good as well as self preservation. With that large of a number of inmates scattered throughout the county chances are pretty good you may run into one of them.

74 I did not weigh in on the rights discussion mentioned but one thing I do know is that often times criminals, once they are incarcerated tend to learn new tricks while on the inside. There are always exceptions but again we are talking about a SHTF situation not day to day life. If an individual is still inside then there is a good chance they have not reformed. I don’t think I could sleep at night during SHTF knowing there was an inmate free in my town who may or may not have straightened up and might be acting out against someone’s child or another member of my community. I would not want it on my conscience. My act of sympathy becomes my responsibility. There is no easy or right answer. There is just the safest answer.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“I don’t think I could sleep at night during SHTF knowing there was an inmate free in my town who may or may not have straightened up and might be acting out against someone’s child or another member of my community -” matt76

I’m not certain I can see a difference between now and after a shtf. I’m assuming you’re referring to someone your release instead of the state.

The other thread is way off track and irrelevant apparently discussing a parallel universe.

Profile photo of Vadim
    Vadim
    Survivalist
    member3

Damn if you do, damn if you don’t.

Russian (Tribal?) NKVD solved the problem easily in 1941 L’viv (Lemberg, לעמבערג, Lwów, Leopolis):

http://www.lonckoho.lviv.ua/arhiv/masovi-rozstrily-1941

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“Estimates on the death toll vary between locations leading to a total of 100,000 or more,[1] from nearly 9,000 in the Ukrainian SSR,[2] to 20,000–30,000 in occupied eastern Poland,[3]now Western Ukraine, to all Tartar prisoners in Crimea among other places.[4]Not all prisoner victims (150,000 of them in total)[3] were murdered; some were transported into the interior, others were abandoned or managed to escape because the retreating Soviet executioners logistically could not pay attention to all of them.[5]

The NKVD and the Red Army killed prisoners in many places from Poland (e.g. Białystok) to Crimea.[7] Immediately after the start of the German invasion of the USSR, the NKVD commenced the execution of large numbers of prisoners in most of their prisons, while the remainder were to be evacuated in death marches.[8][9] Most of them were political prisoners, imprisoned and executed without a trial. The massacres were documented by German authorities and used in anti-Soviet and anti-Jewish propaganda.[10][11][12] With few exceptions, the huge group of prisoners of Western Belarusand Western Ukraine was either marched eastwards or executed.[8] After the war and in recent years, the authorities of Germany, Poland, Belarus, and Israel identified no fewer than 25 prisons whose prisoners were killed—and a much larger number of mass execution sites.[8] Among the notable cases of such mass execution of prisoners were the following:”

Wikipedia

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

I don’t think for a moment in a SHTF situation the prison guards will just open the doors and let all the prisoners out. they may just lock all the doors and walk away, eventually the prisoners might escape but it may take some time, what then? there will still not be much food about and by the time they escape “the great die off” will have commenced.

British Survivalist.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

lonewolf, If you live close to a prison always think that maybe there is a prison guard that may let some prisoners out in a SHTF. They will not let all out but maybe some.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.