Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Amanda posted a topic about her experience with oral rehydration mixture. This reminded me, don’t think it’s been brought up here – above is another medical DIY you should print and be familiar with. See/print attachment PDF from Seattle Children’s Hospital.

Sterile distilled water can be used in CPAP machines (if you need a source for off-grid use of CPAP see Sunshine Works and talk to Ron) and should be used in sinus use Netti pots (please don’t use tap water) to minimize the chances of infection. You can also use it for cleaning wounds.

Sterile saline solutions are good to clean wounds and other stuff . (But if I wore contacts I would NOT use it for cleaning them as has become popular – see this from the FDA – and know I have a friend that got a bad eye infection who had been making her own). And this isn’t meant to be used intravenously which is what many people think of when they hear the term.

Sterile 0.9% saline should remain the cleansing fluid of choice in the hospital setting. This is based on a more convincing physiological argument that favours the use of saline and the lack of convincing evidence to support the routine use of water. The research does not exclude the use of water and the author feels that it can be used to cleanse wounds where normal saline is contraindicated

This from here

Basically in this study above the also recommended, if used on a wound, to gently warm it – see article for details and reasons.

Years ago I had back surgery to remove bone chips/fragments from the lower 7 inches of my spine (tail bone up) from a riding accident. Lots of inner stitches and then the outer stitches. They wanted me to lay in the hospital on my stomach for something like 6/8 weeks at least for it to have a good chance to start healing. Was NOT happening. Basically I refused the surgery until the doctor agreed he would release me after the surgery if I still wanted to and could stand and dress and he would send me home with painkillers I would have been ordinarily given in hospital. Road home on my stomach – and lived on my stomach for some time – but I was at home. Problem was about 2 months in I was gingerly walking about and leaned sideways and down for some reason – and well – tore all kinds of stitches (not unusual given the area of the body). SO stitches removed (incredibly painful) the wound had to heal from the inside out. This was a very deep wound down to my spine – lots of tissue had been removed. Anyway, every day – twice a day it was irrigated with a mixture of hydrogen peroxide and sterile saline solution and then repacked with huge folded up gauze pads (eventually they got smaller). Thank God my sister loves me and we were living together at the time as I could not do it myself. My sister took a picture of it with an instant polaroid and I about fainted to see how huge and deep it was (although the pain early days made we not doubt it wasn’t “pretty”.

The peroxide effervesces (bubbles) and adds oxygen to the tissue and helps bubble out the debri and dead cells and the sterile saline also disinfects. Used cases of the stuff until the surgeon told me how to make my own. I use it all the time now to clean wounds, especially deep ones.

PS it took 12 months of this routine for it to eventually heal. Never forget it. Print this info out.

HTH someone some day

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

OH PS!!! The children’s hospital DIY missed an important instruction point so please pencil in. Sterilize the tongs (at least the lower half that will touch the container) ALSO!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thank you for this information tweva, very important to do.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.