Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Another thing also to keep in mind , Humans like structure , humans hate chaos and instability . My belief is that unless there is a full nuclear exchange , SHTF is not going to be like a ” Mad Max , Road Warrrior ” situation , especially in developed nations . Economic collapse seems to me to be the most likely event . On the street , that will be as ugly as Mad Max , but I dont believe it will last longer than a year or two at best , before there is once again a centralized authority , once again in control . That authority could take many forms . Depending on how the Federal government plays its cards , it could result in either regaining control , or start a civil war , resulting in the ultimate break up of the United States . For me , I think the US needs to break up , a few political analysts also see that as a possibility for the future as well . Just my 2 cents . , either way , good luck to all .

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Robin – no and I won’t either. I don’t like Facebook and all that data collecting. And, although I love cats…there are only so many cute cat pictures/videos I can take in any one day. It’s a neat idea…but…well as I said I don’t like Facebook and what they do.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

Prepping is still seen as a bit “weird” in the UK, something you see on that TV programme Doomsday Preppers-its seen as entertainment not factual, and hunting is anti social to “the masses”, prepping is only done by a few select preppers in the privacy of their own homes and opsec is the word, don’t tell the neighbours they’ll think your “paranoid” and a bit “odd”!!!!

British Survivalist.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Telling other folks that you are prepper is kinda temptation, because both, you want to help other folks (family, friends…) by telling them that, and helping them to be prepared too, also we feel “smart” because we realized that something bad gonna happen and it make sense to be prepared.

Here being prepper or survivalist is kinda weird too, which is funny because not so (very) long ago people were forced to kill neighbors to survive or to buy few cans of food with gold necklaces.
    But people like to forget bad things, not many of us want (or have skill) to learn lessons from hard times.

And what is more important people naturally want to trust that system gonna work, and system gonna take care about everything, and bad things simply gonna not happen.

One of the good lesson from hard times is that I simply now have problems to trust people, especially when it comes to the preparing for SHTF.
    On the other hand I do not see that as a real problem.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Selco wrote:</div>And what is more important people naturally want to trust that system gonna work, and system gonna take care about everything, and bad things simply gonna not happen.

Yep, and its bullshit that people slander your experiences on other forums because they cannot handle reality.

Respect 2 Selco, for having big brass balls and creating this community of black sheep.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

What I do if I suspect someone might either be a prepper or be receptive to prepper ways is to drop a couple subtle hints and if they seem to bite I carry it a step further, but that very rarely ever occurs.

Profile photo of Vep
    Vep
    Survivalist
    member4

There are no longer anymore the good deals on buying a used firearm like there used to be. The demand is so high it’s crazy.

One thing I got sick of was scared and worried relatives who’ve suddenly ‘gone prepper’ trying to bum a free gun off of me, figuring that I had ‘lots of them and wasn’t using them’. Yeah, I get guns for free off of my gun tree. One of my observations is that those who haven’t really bought guns before don’t understand how much they cost. Of, course, there was also the, “I’ll come hang out with you,” crowd. That wasn’t going to happen either.

I told everyone that I had gotten out of ‘prepping’ and guns altogether and I overtly sold into the recent panic most of my guns and ammo, bragging to all of my relatives about the money I made from it.

I discreetly stowed out of view what I needed and what I had already planned to keep. I lacked the room for all of that stuff anyway for quite some time now and had most of it in storage.

What I quietly kept was a couple of firearms, enough ammo to transport and stow discretely, plus some portable reloading and casting gear that stows very compactly.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Vep, the good news is that to the extent the relatives have gone prepper, the less they’ll be coming to you anyway. I stopped talking to anyone in my family about this stuff long ago. I had grown weary of my prepper ways being a source of amusement when we had family gatherings. After he died I found out that the only brother who didn’t join in had quietly done a little prepping himself. Not much but it was something. I saw this when I cleaned out his house. My son is totally in sync with me and so he and I talk. My daughter & her hubby politely ignore me on this topic but I recently sent them another pitch on what they need to be doing and why. I think I’m going to buy them a Big Berkey for Christmas whether they think they need it or not. Interestingly, all of my brothers have guns. In fact I was the last of the 5 brothers to get armed. I often wonder what it is that lets some of us see what most in our families just cannot see.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Few people want to believe bad things can happen to them. Most people can’t handle change in their lives and will endure ridiculous conditions just to avoid change. Accepting the potential of a disaster and preparing for it is psychologicaling impossible for them.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

MB, Brother, I believe there are two reasons why people don’t “see” what we here see. One is denial in which the person simply refuses to accept that a threat is real, while the other is avoidance in which a person knows a threat exists but chooses to ignore it as it is too difficult or painful to acknowledge as it would require them to make dramatic changes in their life to deal with the threat.

In the end, I agree with you that trying to change someone’s mind about becoming a prepper is pointless. We cannot begin to save everyone we would love to save, so as preppers we have to accept that and do what you have done which is to move on, focusing on our survival along with anyone who shares our belief in the coming collapse.

What will be hard for many of us is that after the collapse, many of us will be approached by people we know, maybe even family members, who want to join your group once they are forced to admit that a collapse has occurred. My personal opinion is that taking in people who are totally unprepared will lead to our own death and those with us who took steps in advance to be as ready as possible. Each of us will have to decide how to deal with that scenario if we are faced with it. It is not pleasant nor is it easy but we should be mentally prepared to deal with it as it is a real possibility.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

On a lighter note, I recall a joke that holds a lot of truth in it. The joke is “How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb? Answer: Only one but the light bulb really has to want to change!”

I have often pondered on the ability to truly change people’s minds and have concluded that if one really learned how to do that, you would be capable of achieving anything.

MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Ghost, I don’t expect any of my siblings will be showing up on my doorstep. The closest one is 5 hours away currently, which after SHTF could be an insurmountable distance. However, if any did show up, I wouldn’t turn them away. I just couldn’t. Because of that I just keep adding to my already substantial preps.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Socratic method seems to work, and its basically the same thing you just described ghost.

these days i find it easier to talk a lot of inconsistent bullshit, so that when people go to google and come back to tell me i am full of ****, they will have inadvertently moved in a positive prepping direction.

most people refuse to look through the window tho, for any reason, its important to know when you find a person or group of persons like that.

i don’t care what people prep for so long as they prep, whatever conclusion you come to about the state of the world is fine by me. and if they consider me a tin foil hat, so be it.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Kos, interesting approach. I am in complete agreement with you in that I care not what others think of me as I am confident in what I am doing.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.