Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

I think that prepping is hitting critical mass, this year I have run into more people talking about it and world events than ever. I am even hearing second hand storys about large groups of preppers, and aggressive preppers all over b.c.

Still cannot get .22 lr ammo here from any store.

The thing that bothers me most about this revelation, is that people are not stock piling food. They are stock piling guns and ammo…

It may have something to do with the belief that they can run into the bush, shoot something and eat it… but from what I have seen of hunters all my life, they only ever hunt from there vehicles… and most cannot shoot consistently.

Which leads me to the conclusion that most of these types are going to end up hostiles.

One man we met way in the back country openly blew his friends opsec, saying he was massing gold and burying them in barrels, he scoffed at the idea and said that’s what his guns are for, betraying his friend. It may not seem like a big deal… but if one where so inclined, to stay around and drink a bit longer, a town, or email address might slip out. Contact list, facebook etc. Wouldnt take more than a day to figure out who is who. All public btw, anyone can do that, and thats just for starts… there are nasty skilled, smart people out there.

God save me from my friends, I can take care of my enemies.

I believe with a heavy heart, that my first and last line of defense is my anonymity.

I do not for a second believe naively that the authority’s don’t already know everything there is about me, stored on some server hub somewhere, (wonder what my score is…).

That anonymity is there mostly to protect me from the mob. (TY SELCO).

Because way to many people are talking in my neighborhood right now, words are firing freely, and I think that what the Amway cult called critical mass has just occurred. If that is so, then changes will become more rapid, like an exponential curve.

So, it beckons the question, if my privacy has been breached with my neighbors or friends, what to do? what to do?

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

KOS,
    This should have a new title “If my privacy (opsec) has been breached with my neighbors or friends, what to do?”

In a real SHTF you will have to either defend or run at some point whether your neighbors know or not. I would figure out what triggers each scenario. Then plan each with as much detail as possible. Just figure you will be early on the Let Get Jacks Stuff list. And maybe you will need to be proactive if they are threatening your security.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Living in an area where prepping is more than normal, it’s expected, I see things a little differently now/here.

While people here are lamenting the lack of .22, although it is occasionally on the shelves, they are truly concerned about the price of 7mmMag, and the like.

It’s hunting season here and when you are looking at $75 a box of 20 rounds, it makes one choke.
    And while I hear people complaining about the lack of .22, its most often the Boy Scout leaders, the range instructor and grandparents that want to take the kids out for the afternoon that are talking.

But then again, most people here hunt and have guns. They just aren’t planning on raiding. Goes against the ‘teaching’.

If they know you prep, run with it.
    Get them on board, get them putting stuff back for themselves.
    Anonymity has it’s place, but so does being community minded.

All my neighbors know what I do, where I work.
    Same for the deputy down the block, the doctors and teachers around the corner and the music teachers, and so on.
    We all know about each other, and we’ve only been here a year and a half.
    It’s nice moving into an established ‘community’.

It’s a different world here, when garage doors are open you see deer and elk hanging from hooks, gun safes and 4 wheelers abound. This morning coming to work I saw no less than 6 deer hanging.

Again, I say run with it. just downplay how serious you may be.
    Get them into canning, storage for storms and the like.
    Get them into buying extra and putting it back when it’s on sale, to same money not just for the sake of having 20 years worth of TP.

Scaring people is the best way to make them think you’re a kook and think you’re an outsider not one of them.

Another thing to consider, those guns and ammo.
    For various reasons people are gravitating towards them.
    Some like the Doomsday Prepper idiot who made plans to raid his neighbors, these uber-geniuses are a minority in my experience, at least where I’ve been.
    But a lot of people have realized that the .gov isn’t going to be there to protect them, to supply for them and this has many scared and buying guns. Bad things happen and people wake up.
    I’d rather help people wake up and become allies than the opposite.
    Others are just adding to what they have, because that’s what happens when shortages occur.

Many of those making large purchases remember 20 years ago, the ‘crime bill’ and what happened then.
    Shortages of primers, powder, bullets, loaded ammo, $10 magazines for $100, bans on various firearms and they don’t want to experience it again.

The problem? They waited until something bad happened and everybody was panic buying. Again.
    Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Those people were speaking the same way back in ’94.
    They’ll do it again during the next crisis.

Those that learn, either from experience or with help will keep putting stuff back little by little.
    Those that don’t learn, will either sell stuff cheap later or panic and do it all again the next time, and the next.

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

KOS, I have been thinking about operational security a lot too. Presently, I’m an open book here in Kamloops, BC. Most of our neighbors know we’re into permaculture, forest gardening, food storage, wildcrafting foods, local food security, emergency preparation, etc. But there are many things I just can’t discuss openly with anyone outside the family.

I think being concerned about social media and the internet is very rational. I’m always researching about how to disappear — or more achievable — reduce my visibility. Here’s one source I have found useful: http://www.howtovanish.com/.

I sort of see my time in Kamloops as trying to educate my community about these issues. But in many ways, I’m getting so far out there that I can’t relate to my community anymore. When I leave here, I’m going to ground. You won’t see me on Facebook, or if I use Facebook, it will be for fostering misinformation! That’s what howtovanish.com recommends. :)

I know many experts think it’s important to find community but I am starting to think that it’s impossible to find a suitable community. All I can do for the present, is try to kindle a love of freedom and liberty in my statist friends. That has not been an easy task.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Whirlibird, I like your common sense approach. It has been my experience that getting even hard core “conservatives” to start thinking like a prepper, when they have not yet reached the conclusion we here have that it is essential, is very difficult if not impossible. So again, your approach about disaster preparedness makes a lot of sense.
    I do have a question about weapons as it is so very important when the SHTF. I too see many people getting interested in buying a weapon which is a good thing. I have also assisted a trainer at a range to help people learn how to load, hold, and fire their weapon. My question is this. I still see people who buy weapons but who, once they buy them, put them in a safe or other location and do not train with them. In my experience, just the ability to fix a jammed case could mean the difference between life and death. So how do you get these people to understand that the skills necessary to turn that weapon from nothing more than a club into a high powered defense tool are critical if they intend to survive?

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

The thing about economic collapse , more often than not , it gives rise to one of two types of leader , either a Roosevelt or a Hitler . Pray we dont get the latter .

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

C lots of good country down there in kamloops. I am living around PG, a cesspool of crime and pollution. I do have four different directions of travel tho.

74, I hear that. I’ve known people to say that they will go for women if SHTF back in Edmonton. Just gonna try to keep myself in shih.

Whirlibird, I know 22lr is pretty decent cost/meat ratio, 7mm is not something I am familiar with. I am a gun noob, just got my license actually. I think its about 16 cents per round for 22. so That’s insane for 7mm, no way I could afford that.

Profile photo of cigg
    cigg
    Survivalist
    member1

Most people are ignorant in ignorance’s -the state of not knowing, similar to a cocoon stage, it’s a natural stage of nature of the people with a community. In one sense it’s real to the people involved as they invest whole heartily into it, in the other alternative sense it is also not real!
    The prime example is Selco himself as he was not involved with being a prepper, was invested into his community he thought that his sense of community was real, that society was real. Todays Selco is much different than the old one, a much more different version. Which is a problem many will face is there own ignorance’s as what they were taught was real, what they inherent was real. In one sense of now your reality is real, but when a functionality goes wrong into a chaotic pattern, than does a reality become unreal, unglued.

In our house when the power goes out the chaotic level goes right through the roof, back in the 1800’s there was no chaotic event and nothing was noticed or worth noting. Society is completely made up, literally fabricated of sown ideal ideas. We only have convenience at our disposal which makes everything seem to work without effort, gives us increasable amounts of time in leisure. That’s where the ignorance of being ignorant comes from in a natural disposition of having leisure.

Had I gone to Selco months before SHTF, and told him one day you have a SHTF club, a school about being prepared reaching millions across the internet, the old Selco would have thought this guy’s a nutt job!

The difference is always ignorance, no matter which way you shave it, boil it all down in a large pot the remainder is always ignorance, self ignorance will always be your worst enemy of not knowing, and what you do in your leisure time. How big will the collapse be, how long will it last. Even for the people who run government facilities will face the same crisis of ignorance, when there department ceases to function, the ability to facilitate. they lose there investment into something they thought was real in there reality. There entire life was based around it, everyone will be facing the same dilemma all at once, the leisure of life is now gone, what they thought was truly real vanishes, turns into stale bread and crumbles into little pieces as it pours around your grasp, not being able to hold on to any of it.

That’s the answer to your neighbors is there ignorance of being ignorant and the options available to you, most will not realize that you have bugged out already and reestablished your new living environment, mostly they won’t have hydro, internet, phone, water. There new dilemma starts turning from days to hours to just minutes, the leisure aspect of knowing is disabled, fight or flee Where the % number starts to becomes the multiplier of actual survival, when the dead bodies start appearing.

I have been playing a zombie game called 7 days to die, fun little game, pick the conditions and than your left with nothing and start at a spot, most times I die at the start because there’s nothing there or fall to the circumstances later on. Something to be said about being prepared, and the ability to make prep’s on the go, salvaging what you can. To me it validates the BOB bag where ever you go!
    Just a rant of my of thoughts before the great collapse:)

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

cigg, played day z a lot :D Wish they would make a zombie survival game, head shots only. These days I just play contract wars, zero cheaters great FPS.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Ghost Prime wrote:</div>Whirlibird, I like your common sense approach. It has been my experience that getting even hard core “conservatives” to start thinking like a prepper, when they have not yet reached the conclusion we here have that it is essential, is very difficult if not impossible. So again, your approach about disaster preparedness makes a lot of sense.<br>
    I do have a question about weapons as it is so very important when the SHTF. I too see many people getting interested in buying a weapon which is a good thing. I have also assisted a trainer at a range to help people learn how to load, hold, and fire their weapon. My question is this. I still see people who buy weapons but who, once they buy them, put them in a safe or other location and do not train with them. In my experience, just the ability to fix a jammed case could mean the difference between life and death. So how do you get these people to understand that the skills necessary to turn that weapon from nothing more than a club into a high powered defense tool are critical if they intend to survive?

Well, for one thing, I put on an inexpensive one day ccw/defense class.
    I also spend too many hours talking with people. Getting them to relate to what you are teaching is imperative. Put the information into a context they can understand.

$20 in dummy ammo goes a long way. I slip a couple into the mag while helping them load the gun. Suddenly they have to figure it out themselves, or at least listen to get the best results.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

KOS – This is a concern for me, too. I know several groups of people who have plenty of weapons and ammo, but I never hear any mention of food, water, or other basic necessities being added to their otherwise ‘normal’ purchasing habits.

My hope is that many of them are simply just like me, and playing their cards close to the vest with the exception of firearms collecting (which is something that can pass as “normal”). But my instincts tell me that I’m not only going to starving neighbors; but armed, skilled, starving neighbors. It’s been adding to my mindset that fleeing will be a better option. I can hold my own for the most part, I believe, along with a few in my group. But how well will I do when faced with shooting someone I called a friend only a week ago? I’m not sure I could.
    Opsec opsec opsec! Keeping your mouth shut is an enormous priority.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well I think like Whirly. Plus, thinking as I do, i figure that ‘someone’ besides me is going to have a hand in my fate when SHTF. And, gosh knows what we individually will be faced with. Will probably be different set of factors/scenarios for each of us – depending on where we are located, and many other factors. In other words, don’t forget the same ‘SHTF event’ won’t be experienced by everyone the same way.

You can’t save the world. Neither can you hide from it, despite what many may think possble. And, you can’t cure stupid.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

When people are willing to fight for resources as it will eventually come down to, the size of your group (tribe) and the ability to control your area defenses is the factor that will determine survivability. In a total collapse of civility people will by necessity revert back to the walled fort concept. All through human history this is the only protected method of survival against larger groups. This method is still used today by our troops in Afghanistan when they put up a FOB (Forward Operating Base). Small groups will either join other groups for mutual assistance or be eliminated by aggressors.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“$20 in dummy ammo goes a long way. I slip a couple into the mag while helping them load the gun. Suddenly they have to figure it out themselves, or at least listen to get the best results”
    Had a Gunny do that to me while I was shooting a 1911 for the first time. “Stop closing your eyes” was all he said!
    Robin

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

“Still cannot get .22 lr ammo here from any store”
    In the local WalMart yesterday afternoon I asked if there was 22lr in stock. Was told they had just sold the last box. 360 boxes came in last Sunday. Maybe more coming in today.
    Robin

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.