Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Ron,
    What you describe is a key method for hypnosis. The method can be used to help someone else over come stress. I was taught this method by a professor of psychology when my son was ill. My son was having difficulty receiving IV’s and would vomit at every session. I would ask my son to visualize a particular course where we rode dirt bikes. We both knew the nuances of the course so I could ask him to think about the jump coming up, or a rut that required a certain approach. The person doing the talking must use a low calm voice and allow the other person to see the vision. maintaining a constant flow like a story. We did this while my son was given the IV and it allowed him to ignore the process.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Ron, was this place in the middle of a National Forest?
    Robin

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Reading and, strangely, painting are huge stress relievers for me. Then of course, so is using a vacuum or mowing/bush-hogging. Anything where I know I will see an immediate effect/have a visual that something was accomplished. Painting (anything except walls with a roller), but especially on canvas just takes me away somewhere else. Reading? A book a day person for many years now. Not sure why reading relaxes me and visual stuff like movies/videos do not.

Deep breathing/counting relaxes me the most when I remember to do it – and if I remember to catch myself and stop before I fall asleep.

Learning to drop a curtain when needed between your feelings/emotions and what you are currently doing/seeing is a good skill to have as a prepper I think.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Robin, negative, not in a forest although it would be a beautiful scene there too. It was in North Texas. There was a shelter belt on the South side of the road and each little twig had a small stack of snow on it. Ron S

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Yes 74. This was taught to me by a Psychology Professor, Doctor Angermeir. He had been a member of the German Air Force during WWII and immigrated to the US in 1949. He was in Korea with the US Army, after which he received his Doctorat of Psychology on the GI Bill. He told us that this was a method he used himself as he was in a hospital in Munich recovering from wounds. When the Americans came into the hospital, they hadn’t anything to eat for over a week except for some hot water. When it became too stressful, he would visualize a particular time in his childhood. Ron S

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

74 wrote:
    Usually I listen to music while reloading. Even though reloading is repetitive, it requires concentration/observation to avoid mishaps that could be dangerous. If your mind is to pre-occupied or stressed when you start you could make a mistake more easily then if you are relaxed.

Yes, it will have to be music for ME!
    Visually, I will have to watch what I am doing… and not TV :D

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Books and music can be “life savers” and I am using booth a lot.
    I mentioned that in hardest periods to listen music was something like escaping to better time and reality, very precious.
    Not all of us react same to stress, but almost all react somehow, and need to cope with it.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

With my work I deal with the situation all the way until everything is calm again. Need to make very quick decisions and it might take a few hours before I can relax. If possible I will talk about it. And then most of the time, go to sleep. During the day I might go sit outside. Spending time around animals. Working of anger doing something physically helps within minutes. Help your left brain to get in touch with your right brain. Touch your left foot with your right hand. And then your right foot with your left hand. Music.. better still get up and dance. Or turn up the volume and soak in a bathtub.
    Keep your life as balanced as possible. Work hard. But also relax and rest often. Getting enough sleep is very important. Doing interesting and exciting activities when you are not working – build on good memories. THIS might just be the good times you might be looking back on.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.