Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of CCHGN
    CCHGN
    Veteran
    member1

Folks I’d like to present a YT video I made on “prepping and surviving”.

Survival is the ability to make ALL the RIGHT decisions, ALL the time

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks for sharing. I am interpreting your thinking to be mostly centered on natural disasters such as hurricanes where as soon as it is over the recovery back to normal begins, as opposed to a scenario where “normal” isn’t going to return anytime soon. Looking at the animals and listening to your comments it would seem you are self sufficient enough that you can personally handle a long term event. However there is a real difference between a short term event like a hurricane and what would be a long term event. That difference is the extent to which you can help others. You can carry your non-self sufficient neighbors for a bit after a hurricane but if the need is measured in years rather than days it is a whole different scenario. I am interested in your short term event vs long term event thoughts.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Agree with MB, short term event vs long term event there is a big differences which the long term will bring in more people that will need help. You are self sufficient which is great since 99% of the population is not.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Is this a pacifist prepper rant? I feel like I should go grab a copy of Animal Farm as an antidote.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

As one who was snowbound for weeks without power, I like canned food.
    We ran out of propane, the fridges and freezers were emptied, the fresh food lasted days not weeks.

Canned foods need not be full of salt, make your own to start.
    Or buy low or no sodium options.

Gardening? Depends on where you are,
    Here without a greenhouse, not only is your growing season laughable but living in the mountains we have something called rocks and poor soil. And there’s not a lot of practical options for winter/snow gardening.

Chickens? Theres a reason they’re called foul.

Water? Here in the mountains that can be a challenge. Without drilling down thousands of feet, and without a permit, aint gonna happen. The best source is a river a mile away, better to have drinking water on hand than have to go get some daily.

There’s a great thread on another forum about living 10+ months on preps after a job loss. Luckily the poster had put enough back to feed himself, his teenage kids and wife until he was able to get a viable job again.

This is your version of reality, it doesn’t necessarily relate to others.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

I’ll admit I didn’t watch the whole thing. As soon as he said no one needs to store food he lost me. He needs to rethink his worst case scenario. Not everyone can have 50 foul in the yard, I can’t have any agricultural animals. How do you get through a winter without storing food?

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

Winter disaster survival is the most serious of them all. There can be no mistakes. The consequences are usually lethal right away. Every year the deaths start right after the first storm. People trapped by snow, out of food, hypothermia, heart attacks, co2, fires. The first thing you do think of doing is checking out the neighbors, but then you realize they did nothing and you’ll be the one they will talk about if you help them. They will beat a path to your door because they were to lazy to prep themselves. The fact is property lines are our protection. Be friendly but follow the rules. People are creatures of habit. No one will support you in the good times, why should they in bad. Short term long term it doesn’t make any difference. Stay inside, read a good book for a week or two. Follow all the social rituals. Tell them tomorrow will be warmer. Shovel your sidewalk. Pretend your hungry… and eat the secret stash of food in your panic room quietly.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>I’ll admit I didn’t watch the whole thing. As soon as he said no one needs to store food he lost me. He needs to rethink his worst case scenario. Not everyone can have 50 foul in the yard, I can’t have any agricultural animals. How do you get through a winter without storing food?

He’s an anti-prepper. I kid you not.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Thanks for sharing. Homesteading vibe.

Brulen, Animal Farm is an interesting piece of work. Iol

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen, True.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

After my earlier comments I will add that the ‘homesteader’ side can be valuable. Especially if the event becomes the norm rather than an emergency.

Different viewpoints are welcome, that’s why its a discussion not a bunch of parrots squawking.

I still say that food storage is needed or beneficial.
    Summers bounty will go to waste unless preserved for later.
    And while freezing is the most nutritious, if the power goes out for a length of time, you lose everything.

Growing up we canned a lot of vegetables in the summer. January rolled around and those green beans and tomatoes were great.

Depending on where you are and resources available 20 years worth of freeze dried foods may make perfect sense to have, other times and places the whole homestead bit may be perfect.

CCHGN,
    Where I grew up, we butchered chickens and hogs every fall.
    Too expensive to keep over the winter, except a couple of laying hens and breeder sows. Canning was the only practical way of dealing with that volume of meat that was shelf stable.

Your comments?

Gents, play nice he’s new.
    Just because there are different ideas doesn’t mean anyone’s wrong, just different ideas at work.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.