Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

I’m 64 yrs old male living in Oklahoma. I love to garden, hunt, fish, read, photography, handload, and travel. Ex military, ex pastor, and presently run a small non-profit out of my house to help in any way I can the people of India. I am a Christian and conservative.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I have lived the lifestyle of a prepper most of my life, although did not go by that name. Grew up in a family that considered themselves self-sufficient, and believed in personal responsibility. My dad gardened, built his own house, and never called anyone to fix anything if he could do it himself. After living through a couple of tornadoes and hurricanes as a teenager, I decided that wasn’t any fun and wanted to be prepared in any way I could to survive whatever this life threw at me. I guess you could say I was “scared” into becoming a prepper.

I’m married, but no children, and my wife fully supports the concept of living a prepper lifestyle, but for a slightly different reason. She grew up in in a very unstable household. Always moving, and many times not knowing where their next meal would come from. So, here we are. Have had to start over a couple of times because of various crises and job moves, but still prepping away.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

I wanted to be responsible for my own life, and attempt to be prepared for whatever came my way; physically or mentally. As it turned out, that attitude has stood me in good stead for many years now. I have been through cancer, and I have lost both my legs, and believe me, attitude is extremely important if you want to make it through something like that. I love the feeling of being self-sufficient; not having to always go to someone else when I have a need. I was taught that part of being a man was to be able to take care of your family, and contribute to your community.

In the early years, I was concerned about natural disasters, but now I am extremely concerned about the direction our country has taken. The moral and ethical values of this nation have taken a drastic downturn, and the Federal government has become bloated and overbearing. Attempting to take over all aspects of our lives. The Federal government has been making many bad decisions, and the financial stability of this nation is deteriorating. I foresee it crumbling in a very few short years.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

Prepping for me is an attitude of taking responsibility for your own life and that of your family. Of being prepared both emotionally, mentally, and physically to deal with the inevitable crises that we all must face in this life. It is being able to contribute to your community and to society as a whole. We are not alone. And we must work to build a foundation that will support and protect the individual as they seek to pursue their definition of life, liberty, and happiness.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

“You are never too old to set another goal, or to dream another dream.” –C.S. Lewis
    “I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever.” –Thomas Jefferson

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

Do your best, and don’t sweat the rest.

Profile photo of dtrammel
    dtrammel
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Many of my relatives are from North Eastern Oklahoma, I myself was born in Muskogee (no cracks about an Okie from Muskogee please, lol), though I never lived there for more than a few weeks every Summer growing up, visiting the grandparents, its beautiful country.

Welcome to the forum.

bushrat
    bushrat
    Survivalist
    member4

Thanks for the welcome. Actually, we not from here originally. Moved quite a bit over the years, and finally settled here to retire. We enjoy it very much.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hi there, Bushrat! I used to live in Eastern Oklahoma, myself. Nice to see you here!

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Hi bushrat; I bet you have a wealth of practical experience to give about living the life in real terms.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Bushrat, glad to have you here, and I am glad you have that attitude and spirit after that events in your life.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

bushrat,
    Welcome!
    I can’t wait to hear more about your experiences.
    Check out the Religion & Faith section. You’ll find several fellow Christians there.
    Glad to have you here!
    Hannah

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.