Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tuffhorse
    Tuffhorse
    Survivalist
    member1

Howdy, all. I am 55 years old, a retired US Navy Senior Chief with an Aviation background, now working in IT Project Management.

We live in a rural area of Missouri with 5 horses I have personally trained, 2 Great Danes, a Mastiff, a Jack Russell Terrier and a Mini Chin-Pinn that rules all the big dogs.

I grew up in farm country, and being prepared was just a way of life that comes natural. Having the ability to purify our own drinking water, have extra food canned/stored has always been common sense. We grow our own fruits and vegetables, raise chickens, hunt, fish, camp, etc. Our bug out vehicles are EMP proof and can go where an ATV can’t. The horses are desensitized to gunfire, but we have made it a point to practice with silent weapons recently, as gunfire would be a sure giveaway.

All our neighbors are preppers and we barter and share a lot of what we have. I traded a riding mower I wasn’t using for an AR build. Good trade.

Shooting range is out my back porch steps. Ample wild game and plenty of forage if you know what to look for. We are adjacent to an 11,000 acre state park and we know every square inch of it from horseback.

Now to go look around at other stuff here. Glad to be part of the community!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Welcome Tuffhorse
    You live…….where I want to!! Cant wait to here more from you!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hey Tuffhorse – a big hello from a fellow equestrian! Sounds like you are pretty well fixed up out there. Has hay been a problem out your way the last few years?

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Hello Tuffhorse and welcome.
    Looks like you are welly well prepared for lot of things, looking forward to hear more from you.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Nice to see a fellow Missourian (I am originally from there and loved it!) – welcome!

Profile photo of Tuffhorse
    Tuffhorse
    Survivalist
    member1

Thanks for the welcome! Tweva, hay has been quite plentiful here…I’m paying $30 for 1200 lb round bales and $4 for squares. My supplier still has over 100 round bales left and the pastures are starting to turn green, so first cut isn’t far away. I have to feed hay year round as I have nothing substantial for pasture.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Tuffhorse – you are so fortunate! Usually here in my part of mid-atlantic we get at least 2 sometimes 3 cuttings but last year the weather was so screwy all over the place that the farmers were late to get the 1st cut and up due to wet then the heat and mini-drought. Square bales going for $8 a pop here and rounders of that size, if you don’t have to get ‘em brought down from PA are about $70. As long as a longer drought doesn’t come up during spring/summer I’m okay into late fall. The winter I need a better plan I think!

Anything to be done about your pastures or just amount of horses? I figure I can turn them out next week or two and, thankfully, be done with the issue. Was a long, unusually cold, snowy winter here. Done with it! Have to bay quarter horses and a draft/hanovarian training to pull wagon/cart right now.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Tuffhorse. Glad to see you on the forum. My Grandfather immigrated from St.Jo to Kansas in a covered wagon. He didn,t remember much about it though as he was only four.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Tuffhorse,
    Welcome!
    I’m excited to hear more from you.
    How do your dogs do with gunfire?
    That’s always been one of my concerns for dogs after SHTF.
    Hannah

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.