Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tracer
    Tracer
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

I’m Tracer, a 45 year male, I’m located in Belgium (famous for the beer and chocolates) but also location of the European headquarters. English is not my native language, but I do my best.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

Somewhere in 2005, it started after reading a book where someone mentioned a thrown back in the middle ages as result of a EMP.
    I kept thinking over that. Did we really depend so much at our technologies that an EMP could turn us into a caveman again? So I started with imaginairy scenario’s and tried to figure out what to do if “X” happened.
    It only lead me to the conclusion that most people wouldn’t get a change when electricity or water should be turned off, but also the fatal impact on the global economy, the ways to produce food, transportation, medication ect.
    Also invested many hours, days, months, in research how I could tackle this above conclusion,

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

It’s a basic thing that a lot of people seems to have lost. It’s about taking care of your own life and make your own decisions and not about letting someone else dictate you how to live your life. It’s about the freedom to grown your own foods (sorry Monsanto), to raise some animals, to gain some skills
    To be in the system, but not depend on the system.
    Also kind of a rebel thing, I don’t like to be pushed in a direction because someone says so.

What scenario are you preparing for?
    I think it’s difficult to name one, as there are so many problems going on in the world (financial collapse, war, virusses, …)
    But I started with a EMP scenario, and along the study al the other possibilty’s came along.
    Basicly it doesn’t mather. The mindset for whatever happens should be the same.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

For me it’s going back to how things where done before al the luxury took place.
    You can buy potatoes in the store, but if you have a small piece of land and you plant your spuds yourself, and see how they’re growing,than your close to nature and the result will be better than the store bought.
    Learn the skills, good for the confidence and persistence.
    I try to anticipate on what could possibly happen, but more likely it’s gonna be something else: go with the flow.
    I also try to spend a lot of time with familly and friends, no one can survive alone.
    All the rest is luck.

What matters for you?
    Familly, friends, norms and values.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

No one died from hard work,
    It’s easier to hide knowledge than a case of MRE’s (or whatever)

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

Depending on how much pain is involved :-)
    Probably singing Sinatra in my head: I did it my way.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Tracer!
    It is good to hear that: To be in the system, but not depend on the system

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

*smiles* Sinatra is a good way to end the day!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hello Tracer. Interesting to learn what made you begin on the path of becoming self-reliant.

I live in the country surrounded by farms. But so many in my country have lived their lives in or near the city, most no longer have any idea even where their own food comes from —or of course how to grow it. A few years ago we had a big wind storm with 100 plus winds called a derecho. Wind comes fast, hard and straight line at you, not all around. Even here out in the country, when the power was out for 3 weeks, many did not know what to do. And, it was 103F and very humid afterwards. Only the older farmers and those that are prepared were really okay. Without power most could not pump water from the wells to water the animals in the heat. I spent many days filling my truck with 5 gallon buckets of water to take to the neighbors I could get to animals; and, going through fields to collect animals that had run away/lost. Big old trees had fallen everywhere around. This made it impossible, even with gas in the vehicle, to go very far. Barns and homes were heavily damaged. If you had a chain saw and gas you could make a lot of money very quickly as people got more desperate to get out somewhere to buy supplies. And, this living only 1/2 hour from a town. We were fortunate that the community is close and we did not have looting as would be down near the city.

Thanks for reminding me of what my mother used to say, ‘Nobody ever died from hard work’. I think you are smart to be on your path.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Hejsa, Tracer! It was good to know you (Monsanto has added you to its kill file *grin.*) Seriously, nice to see folks from all over the world, and great to have you!

Profile photo of Tracer
    Tracer
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Hi Tweva,

You had quite some SHTF there!
    Strangest thing is that most people are mad at the powercompany when this happens :-)

This is exactly an example were the excersise in “what if” comes handy.
    An electric chainsaw is handier than a gas driven, but with no electricity, they’re useless.
    I have an electric one for the cutting chores at home, but I also have a small and big Stihl and some Aspen in storage.
    But somewhere in time even the Aspen will run out in a shtf.
    So I stocked spare blades for a manualy hacksaw, also good for trading and they’re not that expensive.

I have my own waterwell on the property, now runs on electricity, but easily transformed to manually, even the spare parts for the manually pump are in storage.
    Same with the graingrinder, sources for light, cooking, transportation,making fire, shaving, waterfiltration ect.
    I’m happier when I can cook in a Dutch oven, or over an open fire than using the kitchenrange, or shaving with a straight razor, so I’m feeling more in my element doing things the old way also.

You are very lucky with the close community and the will to help each other.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Mmm, Belgian chocolate.

Welcome, Tracer; I like the way you think.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Tracer. Your ideas are I look forward to hearing more from you.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Tracer,
    Glad to have you here!
    I look forward to hearing more from you and your perspective on things.
    Your English sounds fine!
    Hannah

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.