Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Welcome! Please introduce yourself?

You can call me RGR. (opsec and all that!)
    I am approximately 7+ years of age, in Dog Years.
    I am located in the relatively gun friendly state of Indiana. (U$A)

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I was slapped awake in Nov. of 2008 when the stock market clipped my retirement accounts for 33% of listed value.
    I searched out monetary resources to recover my “net worth” and the website Silverdoctors.com came in really handy in helping me. This is also where I first was made aware of Selco and SHTF School. We have a great prep-trainer @ silver doctors, his name is AGXIIK. He admires Selco’s work, but he is a great teacher of his own materials. The difference is EXPERIENCE. Most of us will not have Experience until SHTF.
    I feel for Selco, he left one big SHTF only to fall into another, but at least he is helping the rest of us!

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

I have a family. They are all depending on me. They are all at varying levels of awareness, but are on board.
    I am prepping for a probable BUG-IN with a less probable Bug-Out. Long Term SHTF and TEOTWAWKI. Maybe no “recovery” in our lifetimes. Not to what we call “normal” at least…

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

First, it was economic survival (money) I started stacking Silver. Best upside, affordable for me. But I could not sleep until I decided to prep/stack all items. Then I felt more at peace. Way More at PEACE. I also hope to help get society going again, with electricity mainly. I was told I should be an engineer, but as an electrician, I have practical experience and the ability to engineer it and make it work, too. Much Easier to “move up” a level than to get the practical experience from a higher educational standpoint. At least for me it is…

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

“One is none, Two is One, and THREE is a great start!”
    AGXIIK of Silverdoctors.com, with the “3” commentary added by yours truly… :D
    I also like Bible Quotes and Thomas Jefferson’s 2A quotes.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

Make sure I am at peace with the Lord and pass the “treasure map” to a family member!
    Best to try and live a life with NO REGRETS every day. I said try…

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks for the profile undeRGRönd, and thanks for all your contribution here on forums!

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks so much, Selco!
    I hope to work on a service badge here @ School,
    I can list items pertinent to my electrical experiences and some mechanical prowess.
    In fact, I will list a tidbit here and expand on it elsewhere.

I have a diesel generator.because they can get up to DOUBLE the run time of a gas generator for the same output. Plus, you can run (I have verified these) Used Motor Oil, and Vegetable Oils.
    I have not verified use with rendered animal fats and bacon grease, but a friend said his uncle uses goat fat in a diesel. A fantastic inflammatory agent is regular 87 octane gasoline, used at a ratio of 1:20 (1 quart in 5 gallons) with the Veg. Oil and Used Motor Oils. I have a fellow electrician that has done this very successfully.
    I personally would not be afraid of using bacon grease (filtered!) with a bit of gasoline added, starting at 1:20

The diesel engine, invented by Rudolph Diesel, was designed to run on vegetable oils, but these need refined, OR they need a pre-heater or the regular gasoline additive. I say Don’t waste your money on the refinery system, just add the gasoline or preheat. The refinery system strips out the heavier paraffin which contains a lot of heat energy. It either needs cut with gas or pre-heated. My friend with the Mercedes Diesel got over 50 MPG with the veggie oils! It was better than pump diesel!!!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

undeRGRond, Welcome to the forum, MOLON LABE!

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

freedom wrote:
    undeRGRond, Welcome to the forum, MOLON LABE!

Indeed!
    I finally decided to get armed in 2013 (I know, but better late than never!) My son was Top Shooter in his platoon of boot camp, USMC, and finally talked me into getting an AR15. I got it out the Saturday after Sandy Hook…
    I had a Hi Point C9 in 1995 but sold it for what I had in it. I have some HPs now, but others too ;)
    Great to be here! Thx FREEDOM!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of etxgranny
    etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

Welcome and good to have you join us here. I myself am new to the forums and still learning my way around.!

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome!

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Great to be here, Granny and Anselm!
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome to the forum! Always interesting to read how people came to prepping and survival. Having a backup for a backup is the way to go! :)

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Thanks Jay
    Nice website you have here, guys!

I like the pop-up achievements, really cool.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Glockerman
    Glockerman
    Survivalist
    member2

Hello from a newbie. What kind of diesel genny did you get? I’m interested in getting one.

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Chinese!

It was around $900 with delivery and everything.
    Lemme see if I can find a link

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

DuroStar Diesel generator.

I think it was 6000w continuous and 7200 peak at least.

OK, a link:

http://www.amazon.com/DuroStar-DS7200-Generator-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002U82A3U/ref=cm_rdp_product

I think DuroStar is out of the diesel business, too many failures?

I almost bought a used military surplus unit for $2,000 that would have ran the entire neighborhood ;)
    It was rated 25,000 watts nominal, meaning it can go lots higher!
    It had a user-adjustable governor, meaning it could be over-revved and make more power at a higher frequency. Or go “canadian” at 3000 RPM (50 hz) if you wish!

The main drawback to that unit is that it weighed 1500 pounds.
    But the fuel usage was about ½ of a portable diesel uses to produce a KW. Well worth it if you want to have a permanently installed unit.

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

RGR – welcome brother! Got a question about the gen – has anyone taken one apart yet? The reason I ask is that I researched the bio-diesel units that turn veggie oil into usable fuel for diesels, but I never heard of the 1:20 regular formula. Some of the articles I read on the subject said that the diesel engines developed severe gumming from the veggie oils if they didn’t have enough racing fuel mixed in. Any issues with the Mercedes? At $4 a gal here in CA, I’m looking at options again.

Those damn gun nut jarheads – give them a couple hours and they can turn little bo peep into a 2A warrior heading to 3 gun matches! LMAO! Welcome to the cult!!!

Semper Fi, K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

“Who You Callin’ ‘Lil Bo Peep”” :D

Seriously though, it was overdue. I got it out of lay-a-way right after Sandy Hook. It was still waiting on parts, but the former Ranger who built it said I should get it out before they instituted a gun ban.
    The overdue part? Me owning a gun.

The Mercedes using the veg/gas mix at 20:1 was likely aided by the fact that the Mercedes had a preheat system in place on the engine, according to my buddy. YMMV, as they say…

I would research my particular unit and see what could be done to run the non-refined fuels safely, but it seems the gas-additive and preheating would handle any problems. A simple exhaust heat recycler could be sufficient!

Great to meet you, Novus Ordo!

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.