Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Still Waters
    Still Waters
    Medic
    member2

Hi all. I’m Still Waters. I’m 37 and located in Eastern Iowa.

I’ve been “into” preparedness for about 5 years ago and seriously prepping for 1 year now. I got into it for the same reason I think many people do – I have a family and a nagging sense that there’s something dangerous coming.

We’re not prepping for a particular scenario, but multiple possible scenarios. Primarily, we prep to be self-sufficient in any type of situation. As such we have regular “ongoing” preps and as new situations/threats occur to us, we take on some specialized projects.

Our prep philosophy is “move, adapt or die”. We’ve moved outside of the city, adapted our home to provide fresh water, heat and sanitation even if the power goes out, and we’ve establish a “fall back” location if our current proves too close to the masses for comfort.

We believe skills are the key to survival and that even children can possess useful skills if you encourage it. It also gives me some comfort knowing that if I don’t make it my kids have a chance of surviving on their own or bartering their admission to a group because of their abilities.

What we’re missing is a local group of like-minded people.

auribus teneo lupum

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Still Waters, glad to have join the forum.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome to the forum Still Waters!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

And excuse my being bold but what town is E. Iowa?
    I escaped many years ago myself.

Still Waters
    Medic
    member2

Dubuque, actually. What parts were you from?

auribus teneo lupum

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Washington.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum Still Waters.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome, Still Waters. I believe finding like-minded individuals is a long, careful process.You first have to be able to instill TRUST in another individual as well as to be able to become TRUSTING in that person. Ron S

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Hello and welcome.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of Ghost Prime
    Ghost Prime
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Still Waters. As for the local prepping group, most of us here feel like you do which appears to be that having a group of like minded individuals, similar values, and a love of Freedom is the best way to survive. You are probably familiar with the term “mutual assistance group” though it can mean different things to different people. One is that if you only have a small core group but build a network close to you of people you can trust, you can have similar benefits to a larger personal group, and have the added benefit of a wider perimeter for security. It does require the ability to communicate closely and to respond to threats in the AO, so that is worthy of your attention.

Anyway, we look forward to hearing your perspective on these important issues as we can all learn from one another.

For God, Family, Country, & Liberty!

Still Waters
    Medic
    member2

Thanks for the welcome, everyone.

Yeah, Ron, it’s like dating all over again. The whole big song and dance, trying to figure out if you’re going to get lucky or wake up alone and broke with raging hangover.

We’ve been assessing neighbors and friends, while still trying to practice opsec. We have a small group we trust and has some useful skills, but unfortunately they don’t stock supplies. We haven’t discussed prepping with anyone yet, but you can tell by what they spend their money on.

auribus teneo lupum

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome Still Waters. Creating that group of like minded individuals eludes most of us I think. This is why when I was relocating I tried picking a setting that would be conducive to forming a mutual assistance group post-SHTF.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Still Waters – welcome aboard! Glad to have you here – looking forward to your input. Concur with Mountain Biker – most of us are probably here more than we would be if we had that group of like minded people. But the larger we grow the more we find “neighbors” at least in the same locations.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Still Waters
    Medic
    member2

Yeah, it’s been interesting to say the least. There’s a local group here who touts themselves as preppers, but all they ever do is shoot guns and show off their tactical gear. My instincts tell me that the leader of the group has a God complex, and I don’t want any part of that.

Two years ago we moved out of the city, and I’m finding I like our setup here. We have 3 houses rather close to ours by rural standards, and while one of the neighbors is a real *******, he really only says what he thinks. I don’t like the guy, but I believe he’d be pretty useful.

I’ve found that the people who live out here are generally more prepper minded. They already grow food, have firearms and ammo, and don’t run to the store every other day or even every month. That and they’re already accustomed to hard work and looking out for each others’ property.

I hope if SHTF we can all band together. Still, it’d be nice to have some people I trust as part of the group in case my jerk of a neighbor ends up having a God complex, too.

auribus teneo lupum

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Still Waters, you are already doing an important piece of the process by sizing up the neighbors so that you know what their strengths and weaknesses are. You are as well making yourself part of the community so to speak. The nice thing about countryside living is that its OK to just help neighbors without being asked. I have 4 neighbors in my very immediate vicinity and we’ve grown close enough to two of them that they each have a key to my house. I recently was cutting some limbs and when I was done I went over to the 3rd neighbor’s yard with my chainsaw as long as I had it out and cut up a dead tree he had dragged to his burn pile area with his bucket loader/backhoe. In the past he’s just shown up with that bucket loader/backhoe when he saw me working on something manually that would go faster using his equipment. All of us get our driveways plowed but there’s always shoveling to do too, and when I’m done shoveling mine and I see the 4th neighbor hasn’t already done theirs, I just go over and do theirs too. There’s an elderly woman there with a live-in caregiver and I figure best she be able to get out in a hurry should there be a medical emergency (as has occurred multiple times). I doubt any of my neighbors are preppers but they have certain practical skills and the relationships are being built to allow for mutual assistance come a SHTF event. Even the elderly woman would have something to add. She’s the youngest of 21 children (got to love those French Canadians) and in her younger days when her kids were small she grew and preserved much of their food).

All that said, I’d love to have a real MAG with fellow preppers but it is an elusive goal.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.