Tagged: 

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

Name: SharpDog

I was born a Yankee and as soon as I could fly I moved to Texas. I’ve traveled around a lot mostly for work purposes and ended up in East Tennessee for the last 10 years or so. I’m a software developer.

I’m on the glide slope of life and looking for a soft landing, hopefully not too soon tho.

My interests are primarily my dogs, martial arts, outdoor activities and survival. I used to fight in MMA 30 – 40 yrs ago before it was called MMA. I’m also into tech.

I really can’t say how I ‘got into’ survival. I think I have always been in. My earliest memories are studying indians and indian lore, hunting, fishing, trapping and raising animals as a youngster. I was left to my own devices as a kid and naturally drifted in this direction with the help of a neighbor and good friend that was a bow hunter. My first paying job was breaking and training horses as a young teenager.

My survival philosophy would match my entire philosophy and would be:

“Have Fun, Don’t Quit and Win in the End”

If I was dying and had 30 seconds to live and could only say one thing it would HAVE to be a joke:

“That’s All Folks”

;)

Big Bears Don't Tree

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Haha, welcome SharpDog! :)

Do you like [mlink keywords=”Tom Brown” front=”” back=”” real=”” amzn=”1″ wiki=”Tom_Brown,_Jr.” main=”a” direct=””]? It is probably something right up your alley.

Can you talk a bit more about MMA back then? I occasionally watch MMA and some of the a little bit older footage of Bas Rutten but I’m pretty sure you guys went at it in a quite different environment.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Welcome Sharp Dog

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome SharpDog. It is good survival philosophy.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Welcome SharpDog

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

welcome

Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

welcome

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a seat and stay a while.

SharpDog
    SharpDog
    Survivalist
    member3

Absolutely I like Tom Brown, he was awesome.

Well, I started martial arts around 5 yrs old at the YMCA’s mainly as a cheap alternative to daycare for my parents.  Initially it was Judo and I progressed over the years to competing in international (ie. American-Canadian) tournaments.  By that time I was going to one YMCA for Judo and then taking the bus to another for Karate.  This was in the days before all that much child-napping and such.  By the time I got to college I was pretty good.

Turns out my college had a ‘Varsity’ full-contact Karate program where we would go to Philly every week or two and compete against other colleges.  In those days full-contact meant you wore a cup and a mouth guard.  No head gear or pads.  Head shots were severely regulated however in that you needed to demonstrate you could clearly see your target – no blind shots.  I think the two instructors were getting degrees or college credit or something, me, I was in in for the fighting.  I trained 7 days a week, 4 hrs a day boot-camp style … do 1000 of this kind of kick, these punches, rolls, take-downs, arm-bars, etc. The best 3 would fight, the next 6 or so would compete in forms.  All of the contestants were black belts.  Me and another guy alternated in the 3-4 positions right behind the two instructors.

I remember my first tournament. I went in against a guy named Kwame (who later became my good friend).  I looked straight ahead … right into his belly button it seemed.  I’m a shade under 6′ but he was well over 7′.  I felt like those 3 stooges shows where your feet are backpeddaling like mad but someone is keeping you in the ring against your will ;)

I did that for like 4 years before I graduated and had to get a real job.

I kept in it at a much lower level for about 8-10 more years when I just plain got too old to compete at that level.

Big Bears Don't Tree

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.