Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

I am Rowan McDirk, 32 years old male andI live in Western Europe

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I had an interest in woods and survival since I was a kid, my world changed when i got the SAS survival handbook for christmas. Later I got interested in self sufficinecy and ancient crafts. I had supplies for a month since I bought my house but really started prepping when I got my kid. A father must be able to take care of his wife and kid, part of being a man I guess.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

Being able to take care of my wife and child if times get worse.
    Mostly economic collapse.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

Water, food, tools and knowledge.
    I also keep my body in good shape and recently got my master in reality self defense.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

Veritas et Aequitas, I try to live by truth and justice.
    Fortuna Favet Menti Paratae, Chance favours the prepared. Being prepared reduces the chance of freezing when it matters.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

Take care of my daughter

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Rowan!

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome Rowan!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Welcome Rowan

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

welcome

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Rowan I hope you find the forum here useful – don’t be shy about chiming in! Welcome here.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Rowan!
    Glad to have you here.

Ghost
    Ghost
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome Rowan

If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is usually the answer.

Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi Rowan, glad to have you here!

…and recently got my master in reality self defense.

What is it? Can you share some details about it?

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

It is a small school, the instructor has been training martial arts since he was 6 (he’s now over 30), was fed up with all the wrong things martial art schools sold and started his own club. He stands on having a small group to teach so he has full view on how everyone advances and no one learns wrong things.
    There are no grades or belts, it’s the old way, if the ‘master’ thinks you are worthy to teach you get your master’s degree/black belt. There is no strict program or moves, we see how each person reacts on attacks and improve the natural movements according to the body of the student. Everyone has a different way of countering attacks. Everyhing we know, learn on seminars, read or see on the net is stripped to the bare essentials and transformed in something that works without difficult and unnatural movements.
    The trainer has his eastern MA background, his assistant Systema and I had a Western Martial arts (swordfighting, spear/pole arms, dagger, some wrestling) and kick boxing background. We learn a lot from each other.
    The master 1 came as a surprise, I feel there is still so much to learn, but I’m very proud of it.
    Black belt was no end point anyway, it’s a sign that you know the basics, must learn further and have the responsability to teach the other studerts.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a seat and stay a while.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.