Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Scout
    Scout
    Survivalist
    member1

II am using my phone to do this and it is not letting me cut and paste etc. And I registered as “Scout”, a name I have used on other forums and for my radio show, but it looks lime there is already a Scout here. If that is the case, I will try and change it when I figure out how.

I am a male in the US, Texas, and I have been involved in being self sufficient all of my life. I have a military background and now farm and ranch as well as run a shooting company and have been doing a radio show that also covers prepping and self reliance for the last five years.

I started seriously exploring self reliance and prepping after I had a family and saw the results of a possible collapse during the events surrounding the hurricanes Rita and Katrina. I live well over over a hundred miles from Houston, and because of poor emergency planning by the city, supposedly no one was able to get out of Houston during the mad rush to leave the city(they were all stuck on the highways leading out). However, the obscure rural road that passed by my home was packed by vehicles fleeing from the hurricane.

This allowed me to see that had the other 7 million+ residents been able to escape the city, for a hurricane, or for any other reason, the situation could become life threatening from day one.

No rescue or other emergency vehicles could respond to anything even if they wanted to with the roads blocked by tens of thousands of vehicles, even on the back roads. No law enforcement would be able to respond to situations where individuals thought they had the right to do anything necessary to get their selves and families to safety and knew they would not be prevented from doing anything at all by LEO.

I don’t try to prepare for any one specific type event as there is no way to know what may be coming down the river, as far as any natural or man made cessation of services events, and they all lead to the same place in the end if they get far enough along.

I try to prepare, and get others to prepare for the most likely to least likely scenarios in that order. Most likely-three day snow storm, broken leg, broken arm, getting fired or down sized, flooding tornado, localized cessation of services.
    Least likely- comets, emps, complete national collapse, zombies, aliens, Dinosaurs….. Which can all happen, I imagine, just less likely and will all lead to the same place.

I try to put my preps on schedule to address the most likely while
    keeping the least likely in focus as a possible eventual out come.

One of my favorite quotes- “Hannibal ad Portas”, “Hannibal is at the gates” The Romans would tell misbehaving kids this to scare them, kind of like the modern boogeyman.

I think as individuals and groups looking at self reliance, we need to remember that there is always a Hannibal at the gates. It is just a function of whether he will bust them down today, or tomorrow or the next day. History shows us again and again, that despite all of our best laid plans, Hannibal has made his terrible entry into a nation, a state, a city or a community and laid waste to them, on a regular basis since the beginning of time.

Thank you Selco for providing the information you have learned at a terrible cost, and for providing a forum for folks to discuss it.

-Scout

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Eat your food – think of all those starving elephants in the Alps! :) Great to have you, Scout!

Profile photo of survival scott
    survival scott
    Survivalist
    member1

is your radio show online, website?

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Welcome

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

You are welcome Scout, and glad to have you here in forum.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Thanks for the info about the back roads being jammed like the highways. I suspected that might be the case in such a situation. This will have to be included in any escape planning.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome Scout. Experiencing what a simple breakdown of the infrastructure could mean is pretty crazy! The place where I lived was flooded for a few weeks in 2011 and so many things we take for granted were suddenly gone. A great wake up call.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Good to have you here, Scout… welcome.

You should post a link to your radio show… I’d be interested in hearing what y’all have to say…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Psalm127
    Psalm127
    Survivalist
    member1

I hear you on the roads, Scout. A few months back there was a traffic accident on Interstate 5 between Tacoma and Olympia that closed down the Interstate for several hours. You wouldn’t think it would be that big of a deal, but the secondary roads couldn’t handle the increased traffic. All the little back roads in the region were bumper-to-bumper stop-and-go for the rest of the day. I kept re-routing my vehicle further and further into the boonies to try to get out of the jam to no avail, it was just too many cars. Some people were trapped on the interstate for 6 hours. And this was just from a single traffic accident. Imagine what else could happen in this area that is prone to earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic activity. I guess the solution is just to stay well away from densely populated areas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.