Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Proteus 55
    Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Hello! I am Proteus, 41, male, living in South East Europe and currently in Greece.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I was interested in survival for years but had not started doing any serious prep until about two years ago. The main reason was observing how certain trends around the world kept being repeated and anticipating some large catastrophe or SHTF scenario where preparedness was the only choice for survival.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

Due to the diverse challenges in these times, any SHTF scenario is plausible, so there must be measures taken in order to survive. Socioeconomic collapse, riots, wars…and all the things in-between.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

To survive while protecting my significant others. I don’t believe that a singular person acting as lone-wolf would get far. A larger group of like-minded individuals is needed to survive any kind of mess that lasts more than a few weeks. So with that in mind, the same principles of preparing the mind and gathering supplies for such an eventuality are part of my philosophy. No matter what equipment one has, if the mind breaks, it’s all for nothing.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

Sometimes survival by itself is not enough; although there are levels of pain, adversity and loss one is prepared to accept, whoever survives must not have lost himself/herself in such a way that makes survival meaningless.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

Accept it since it’s inevitable…and try to surrender using my faith in what awaits beyond. Whether I’m right or I’m wrong, I would be about to find out.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum Proteus.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Welcome, Proteus.

Cry, "Treason!"

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome here Proteus!

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

“No matter what equipment one has, if the mind breaks, it’s all for nothing.” – Proteus 55
    I will remember these words, thank you

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, and giving the deteriorating situation in Greece, we will appreciate first hand reports. Perhaps it is time to start a Greece thread?

Profile photo of Roadracer
    Roadracer
    Survivalist
    member7

Welcome Proteus. I look forward to your insights on prepping in Greece and how you are adapting to the situation there.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey Proteus…

Welcome. Interesting name. The shape-changer.

You said you’re from SE Europe but currently in Greece. Hopefully, if Greece goes China Syndrome, you’ll be able to make it out okay and back to wherever home is… nothing worse than being stuck somewhere that’s not “home”… especially when things go pear-shaped.

I’d be interested in hearing some anecdotal stories about how the average Greek is coping with the current situation. Not sure I would classify it as “dire” yet, but I’m betting you can see it from there…

Don’t be a stranger, and again, welcome.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Malgus beat me to the questions I was interested in hearing answers to. This is especially so due to the fact that how Greece handles their economic situation may be a foreshadowing as to how other modern countries handle it.

Welcome and I am interested in hearing your perspective, especially considering where you currently reside.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Greetings to all and thank you so much for the warm welcome. First things first, I am so impressed by the excellent pieces of advice and information in the site. Selco’s Blog is probably the best of its kind (I’ve never seen anything like it and as truly grounded in reason, practicality and true insight from surviving in hellish situations). I read several forum posts by other members and to be honest, I was truly impressed. It seems that even when there are differences of opinion, there’s mutual respect and tolerance and I respect that. Overall, that was the moment when I decided to join the community here. This site is exceptional, thanks to Selco, Jay and every member who contributes to make it so. I am sure that I will learn much being here. Thank you for welcoming me into the site. Looking forward to conversing with all of you.

Leopard, glad you liked the quote. It comes through experience, unfortunately. At times I cared for people with mental health problems and a couple of those were veterans from the Gulf. Also, from own insight on how a person becomes “paralysed” when the mind cannot adapt to the harsh reality through fear or other things.

MountainBiker, Roadracer, sledjockey and Malgus, I will be setting up a “News from Greece” thread as soon as possible. Looking forward to sharing what I experience. I will try to do so in a regular basis so that you have updates almost daily, for as long as it remains possible (unless there’s power outage or something like that).

Malgus, the name chosen is related to the ability to adapt through changing form, more even than a chameleon. It inspired me enough to choose it – I have much to learn and I consider myself simply a “beginner”. So the name is strong, but my own abilities are miles behind in comparison. As for home, well…I have no home. (I live in a house, yes, but not “home” as you mean it). The only thing that comes close to it is like-minded friends who you can count on when SHTF. That’s home for me. Everything else, so far, ended up disappointing me. I have lived in the UK for 9 years, and travelled to some European countries but lived the rest of my life in Greece. Yet, unfortunately, home was nowhere to be found “out there”. Perhaps it’s an inner landscape; one day I will have to walk the path to the end to reach it. But until that time comes, l am looking forward to speak with you all.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Proteus. I ,also, am looking forward to your observations of the situation in Greece. This is the closest most of us have to an economic meltdown on a monumental scale. Ron S

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Hi Proteus,

It’s great that you have joined us here in the forum, and wonderful to hear the threads you are reading are of use. I too, learn a great deal in this forum, and like all the others am very interested to read your thread on the situation and your experiences in Greece.

Look forward too hearing more from you!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Sorry for being late to the party, but welcome.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum.

Proteus 55
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Hello Ron S, Toby C, Whirlibird and Freedom, thank you for the nice welcome. I have started a thread on the news section of the Forum called “News from Greece” where I’m regularly updating with posts on a daily basis, as much as possible.

I was asked before about how I’m prepping in Greece. Although I consider myself in a reasonably good state of health I believe that I have much to learn and much room to improve, fitness-wise and knowledge-wise. Also, finances are limited during the last couple of years so my ability to get the right sort of equipment had to be tempered with resources. I have no special retreat with security, generators and all the perks and I’m not like Rambo. As a result, I would say that I’m minimally prepared for an end-of-the-world type scenario, however I’m more geared to survival in a SHTF scenario. That is my objective and focus at the moment.

My plan is to be able to be highly mobile so that I can relocate, having made unseen preparations inside the house I reside at the moment, with different sets of gear in different rucksacks depending on the scenario. My finances do not allow me to leave the city indefinitely right now. So I have focused on back-up plans with some other like-minded people for mutual assistance. With regards to food resources and expendables, we can survive maybe two months without resupply, maybe three if stretched to the limit. Water will be the biggest issue but there are tablets for that, if the power is cut off and if we have no water supply. However we don’t have for more than two months, so that’s a point to improve upon. There are survival plans in place for defensive positions in apartments if the worst comes to the worst. As for the bug-out contents they are more or less like the ones described elsewhere. Apart from food, isotonic drinks and medication/antibiotics/ first aid kit, there are special clothing that seem normal but offer some protection, kevlar gloves, reinforced knees and elbows, an assortment of tools, tomahawk, special forces shovel and quality knives to assist in the survival (whether outdoors or indoors..), rainproof coat, mosquito net, eye protection, particle masks etc. All these fit in two regular backpacks and one large 85 liter backpack that do not stand out. Improving defence training and fitness to improve stamina and some strength as well as right mindset and preparedness are areas that I’m working on. I found Selco’s Blog to be invaluable for that. The insights there made me scrap some of my former ideas and start anew.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.