Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Nitro
    Nitro
    Survivalist
    member1

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Hey guys, my name is Mike, I am 19, male and in Western North Carolina.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I’ve recently started acquiring many of my own things, not specifically SHTF stuff, but my own possessions and realize now just how easy it could be to lose not only the things that I own but also my family and friends with the unpredictable direction of our world. I’ve spent a lot of time with local Guardsmen (Being a mechanic/engineer/fabricator by trade, I’ve built and repaired vehicles for said soldiers while they served overseas) pulled 4 solid years of junior ROTC in high school with at least three semesters worth each year and a few of my good friends have small arsenals and are all more than capable with each and every device that they possess.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

My family is the most important thing to me, when the inevitable happens it is possible that my younger brother may not be old enough to properly think every situation through thoroughly, or that my parents may be in their older ages and unable to defend themselves physically or mentally (not to say that they can’t, but everyone does undeniably suffer from mental/physical degradation at some point) and I want to do everything in my power to make sure that my blood family is alive and well enough for us to conduct safe operation. My extended family, soldiers, important neighbors and very close friends will be my second priority after securing an AO, should the need arise.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

Honestly, the situations I’m preparing for are situations that I never want to see, but if I thought they were impossible then I wouldn’t prepare for them. As the old saying goes, it’s better to have it and not need it  than it is to need it and not have it. I don’t know what’s coming, but I want to be ready for anything. Like I mentioned earlier, What really matters to me is my blood family, securing an AO and checking in with my ‘Extended family.’ I know that my extended family is capable of operating without me, considering they are soldiers and well equipped weapons aficionados.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

In my last thirty seconds my family will understand the distribution of the last of my possessions and will be reminded of the love I have for my family and friends.

Guys I have a lot to learn here, but I can see already that this is a very knowledgeable group. That being said, thanks for having me, I’m excited to learn and build my knowledge, arsenal, preparations and hopefully relationships with possible comrades in the inevitable future.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Nitro/Mike – you live in a beautiful area of your state. Kudos to you for being aware and making plans. Welcome to the forums. Don’t be shy about chiming in whenever – we are all here, learning together.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Nitro,

You have a mature perspective for someone of your age. Someone near you must have helped you see the light.  Both should be commended.

Rowan McDirk
    Rowan McDirk
    Survivalist
    member3

welcome to the forum

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Welcome Nitro.

As Tweva said tons of things being talked about here, feel free to chime in where ever you feel comfortable.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Mike, it is good to have you here!

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome Nitro.

Profile photo of Nitro
    Nitro
    Survivalist
    member1

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I’ve been thinking a lot lately about all the possibilities and decided it’s time to start rounding up supplies, I bought my own first weapon on Friday, a 1930 Mosin 91/30. It’s not the first weapon I’ve had or fired, nor is it the best weapon out there, but it is the first I can truly call mine. I’ve been doing research on building bug-out bags and preparing mentally and physically for bug-out situations. I may be quiet for a few minutes while I intake information from here and posted around the web but I do plan on being around for a while.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hey Nitro, glad to have you here. Great first weapon you got there. The Mosin has a lot going for it. If you just start out and read about survival and preparedness online please keep those things in mind:

• Skills beat equipment because you always have them with you and they can’t easily break or run out of power (unless you do)
    • If you shop for equipment go for good quality essentials first (like the Mosin, a good knife and so on)
    • Don’t get too caught up in all the tactical stuff, just like Selco also said in his last post, urban survival is more about clean water than guns.
    • Practice what you read and learn. Practice matters a lot.
    • Just like the few pointers above, survival has a lot to do with common sense. Read a lot, practice a lot and be open to all sorts of solutions.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of Nitro
    Nitro
    Survivalist
    member1

Thanks Jay, I’m slowly ordering bits and pieces of equipment, water is always priority number one in any situation. As far as equipment goes it will all be military grade, primarily because that is what I’m most familiar with, I’ll continue ordering my equipment piece by piece so I can find out what I like and what I need to replace. Once I’ve found a good setup, then work with my family on equipment for them.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.