Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of lci115lewis
    lci115lewis
    Survivalist
    member3

While I am not as old as Old Sarge, I too remember a time before the internet, cable television and the home PC. I was born before Man walked on the moon, but by less than a month, so I don’t remember that. I collect any information I can on survival/outdoor skills that I can, but I will pass that information along to anyone who needs it when I know I have information that will help them, so I am not an information hoarder.

I work at a large University doing computer support for computerized classrooms and instructional labs, my wife puts up with my prepping, but she is not on board with everything. She fully appreciates the financial benefits to buying staples in bulk, it is amazing how much we save every week on the weekly batch of chili using dried beans instead of canned, a 50 pound bags lasts 4-6 months, 50 pounds of grits does our Sunday breakfasts for over a year. I don’t worry our children with specific concerns but I try to teach them what I know in subtle and fun ways. They like to wear their web gear on walks and hikes now, gives them places to carry water bottles, snacks and any interesting things they find while we are out. I am trying to setup their bug out gear to go into the web gear they carry (the 4 year old has one of the SKS chest harnesses since the web gear does not adjust small enough) as rapidly as possible by standardizing the web gear and what is carried where for all of us.

Unlike most prepping “instructors” I really appreciate Selco’s philosophy, like precious metals only have value for the same reason money does, because human beings have decided they are are valuable. Food, tools and other supplies have value because they have a function. How much simpler than that can you get? I don’t know if I could have survived the year he went through, but I would like to think I would do everything I could to make sure my family survived, no matter the cost to me.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Nice to meet you and welcome !!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Great to have you, Lewis! Like your situation, my husband doesn’t see any value in preparedness, but he DOES like the financial benefits of my planning (like bulk staples’ impact on our grocery bill, versus traditional fare), so hey, I will take what I can get! I hope one day he has absorbed enough via osmosis to be interested. :) It’s great that your kids are learning it; that was how I learned, and I can’t overstate how important it was, to start out that way rather than try to catch up!

Popz
    Popz
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome to the group Lewis!

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Thanks Lewis, and welcome to the community!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.