Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kim in IN
    Kim in IN
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

My name is Kim. I am a 54 yr old wife of 35 yrs, mom to 4, all of which were homeschooled. Our youngest will graduate next year. We live in SE Indiana, USA on 11 rural acres.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

Living in the country, gardening/canning/dehydrating/hunting for our food is just a way of life. We began to think more about self sufficiency/prepping when the crash of ’08 happened. We realized then just how fragile our financial situation could be.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

Originally we were primarily concerned with recovering and protecting our finances. As we did more research and reading about what had happened in the crash and understanding all the possible outcomes of decisions made by our government that we had no control over, it became important to us to learn as much as we can about self-sufficiency and then eventually survival.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

We want to be able to provide our own food, water, and shelter. We want to be able to protect ourselves and our preps. I’m not sure if we have an actual philosophy, but we know we still have a lot to learn.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

A favorite quote for prepping: “A Prudent man sees danger and takes refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it”. Proverbs 22:3

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

In my last 30 seconds I would make sure that the family that are with me knows I love them and I’ve always been proud of them. I’d encourage them to stick together and work to protect each other.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Welcome Kim!! Nice to meet you, would love to learn more about the teaching aspect as I have a four year old as well as a 16 year old to. Even if the world gets bad, I want my children to be able to read write and do math!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Welcome…sounds like you have a solid footing to achieve your goals!

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Great to have you, Kim; I think the crash of ’08 opened a LOT of eyes… unfortunately, retail cashed in. I saw this price index linked which showed that there’s been a 34% increase in the cost of long-term-storage goods since 2008! Unbelievable! Here’s the link: , which also features an index for the price of fuel and basic goods (milk, burger). Eye-opening, indeed.

Edit: I can’t seem to get my link to work, though I’ve linked before. Here it is, in straight text:

http://grandpappy.org/einflate.htm

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Welcome Kim. Good to have you.

Like the others have said, the 08 crash opened a lot of eyes. Once you find out that Red Shield Ben just papered over the problem and funneled money to Wall Street, you come to the cold realization that you are on your own. The problem is still here, but grown to gigantic proportions… the next ‘crash’ will be for keeps.

I expect I’ll be bugging you about homeschooling… I am fed up to here (holding hand above my head) with this Common Core communist BS being foisted on my son… every day he comes home, I have to undo everything they’ve done, and then teach him properly, so I’m in a de facto state of homeschooling him anyways… other parents are almost in a state of revolt as well. I apologize ahead of time if I bug you about homeschooling too much… :)

Again, welcome.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of Kim in IN
    Kim in IN
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Thanks for the welcome everyone. We’ve been homeschooling for 19 yrs so far. Got one more to go. I was so excited to hear that today my Governor, Mike Pense was the first governor to sign into law that our state will ditch Common Core! Although it doesn’t affect my son now, except when he goes to take the SAT, I was really glad to hear that it’s over in my state. So many of the states are so addicted to the pretend money that is tied to it that they find it hard to say no.
    Questions about homeschooling are welcome! I lead a small homeschool support group in my town. I don’t have all the answers, but I’ve been around the block a time or two. We’ve graduated 3, all of which served or are serving in the US Military, 2 have college degrees and one of those is now in law enforcement. It’s hard work but it can be done.
    Thanks for the link Anika, can’t wait to check that out. Price hikes of basic prep supplies is one my hubby’s pet peeves. He feels like preppers make good marks for somebody else to profit off of. It’s capitalism at it’s finest, but I’m trying my best to learn how to prep without going broke in the mean time.
    We have so much to learn yet, and we are a single income family, so I’m really hoping that this forum will help me learn what I need to know and the most cost efficient way to get there.
    Selco’s website was the first information I ever read about prepping all those years ago.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Hello Kim and welcome here!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.