Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

I’m Jay, born in Europe but left about 10 years ago and lived in Australia, the US and South East Asia since then.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I have been into outdoor activities such as climbing and winter sports since my childhood growing up close to mountains and being a lot in the nature. So the wilderness survival part has been there all my life. I also did several week long solo hiking trips throughout Scandinavia and central Europe. Those are my best holidays, when I get away from everything and Im just alone in the nature.

Preparedness and the idea of self sufficiency came later. Thanks to the Internet and how my parents raised me (to always ask questions and be curious) I learned a lot about how our society works and of course I also realized how fragile the whole system is and that we are heading towards a cliff with full speed and without slowing down.

I was living in Thailand in 2011 when the devastating floods hit and that’s also when I found Selco’s thread on another survival related forum. I was just getting prepared for the flood (our house got flooded) and came across what Selco wrote. I spoke with him and we decided to start this website.

I left after the flooding was over and I was able to get to the airport in Bangkok and went to see Selco to do the interviews for the One Year in Hell Course. So I guess the Thai flood in 2011 was the time when I got much more serious into the preparedness part of survival.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

I personally believe in a slow decline with a couple of bad events (either natural disasters or human made disasters) that accelerate the decline. Another thing we will have to face, even if we get through the next couple of years without too much trouble, is that more basic jobs will become obsolete because of technological advances.

A lot of jobs can be performed more efficiently by software or other automated processes or machines that run 24/7. We see this already now and the pace of this development will just increase. Because of that we will end up with even richer elites and many poor people who are basically “worthless” for the system. This will lead to more social tensions, problems and chaos.

I prepare for a life without the system. I’m currently relocating to a more remote area with a close knit community that has all things in place to be self sufficient. My wife and me become “useful” members of that community by helping them selling their organic produce and also working with a local NGO that supports kids from troubled families in that area.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

I love the nature and being outside, so I really enjoy the wilderness and bushcrafting part. I like to learn new skills that I become a human swiss army knife and can make things happen with little tools and just knowledge.

I have also studied psychology for some time and believe in being self sufficient on a physical level by learning about survival and preparing but also working on the mental side of survival which is becoming more resilient. Freedom is the main core value in my life and this is why everything that gives me more freedom and independence appeals to me, regardless if it frees my mind or my body.

I also consider myself a decent and kind person that does not need any government or other authority to tell me how to live my life.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

“The bad news is we are falling, the good news is there is no ground”
    – Chögyam Trungpa Rinpoche

This quote by a Tibetian Buddhist monk is one of my favorite quotes because it clearly shows how random and chaotic life is. There are so many reasons to be worried and afraid because life often feels like we are falling, but if we realize we are not hitting the ground (and if we come to terms with death and dying and do not fear it anymore) then life can become much nicer.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

I guess I would say something that life was great and I would try to smile. Regardless why I die. This would be something like a last “victory” before I fade away.

Like Victor Frankl said: “Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.”

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks for your reply on my post, but most of all thank you for all that you do, to keep this site organized and going, and to disseminate this fantastic information that Selco has to offer! Much appreciated!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks! Running the site and talking so much with Selco has been a great learning experience for me as well. Im also pretty excited now about this community because I think we have a chance to build up a pretty straight forward, no bullshit, real survivalist community.

That’s what Selco and me are hoping for. But considering the quality of comments and email feedback we had over the last couple of years, this should work out!

Profile photo of Kiwi25
    Kiwi25
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi Jay, Thanks from me too for helping create the site and now this “community”. It is great to find out more about the “family” and learn more. Cheers, Kiwi25

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Hey mate, thanks for being the “keymaster”!

Cheers!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Yes I agree thank you for the invite and being the keymaster!!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Profile photo of Kollaps
    Kollaps
    Survivalist
    member3

Many thanks for helping bring Selco’s story and your own to a wider audience!

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Thank you, Jay, for sharing some information about yourself and about the life of Selco. It has been very helpful and full of insight that we will need when it is our turn to survive against all odds. It has given us an advantage. I thank you!

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Thanks everyone! :) Selco and me have some cool plans for the website. We will have more about this in the coming days.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.