Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Thank you, everybody! I’m very humbled by the warm reception. You all seem like a great crew and I look forward to exchanging information with you.

lovelynightbird, when I lived in Amman, I stayed right on Third Circle before moving to “The Gardens”. Before I left I tried going to Israel to visit Jerusalem. Unfortunately I was unaware that you were not allowed to cross the bridges in a rental car. I had my passport stamped and ready to go, but I had to leave the car at the Jordanian checkpoint and take a bus. After thinking about it long and hard, I decided that I was not brave enough to venture, alone, into another country and rely on its mass transit. I aborted my mission and went back to Amman. I haven’t given up totally on my trip to Israel. Perhaps I could pick your brain about where to go and any traveling nuances at some point?

Mountain Biker, I live roughly seventy miles from Midtown Manhattan, but people traveled as far from the northern Jersey Shore area which is roughly one hundred and five miles away.

Flatlander, I remember Irene VERY well! It was only a year prior to Sandy. Even though we were hit pretty hard, Sandy was worse. We didn’t have to worry about the mountain folk coming down to raid us like we did with the Citiots during Sandy. I would absolutely love to hear about your experiences during Irene while staying up there. I mean, towns and highways were flooded or washed away and still haven’t recovered to this day.

Well, thank you again everybody and I look forward to interacting more with all of you! Cheers!

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Thanks Inshala. I just went to Mapquest and saw that I live about 90miles from Albany via the shortest route, so within the range of what you experienced. There aren’t any gas stations or food stores in my town but I suspect they’d just drive a bit further on to the town where I get gas and food myself. Fortunately Albany is nothing population-wise compared to the Metro NYC area.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome aboard Inshala!

I live in Western New York. Its is indeed mostly Red, with the unfortunate exception of the citiots of Buffalo. I’m in my twenties and will volunteer that I live North of Buffalo. Citiots… I like that term!

flatlander
    flatlander
    Survivalist
    member2

Inshala here is a write up of my Hurricane Irene experience http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/looking-back-at-hurricane-irene/

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Inshala – glad that you found us, you’ll be a great addition to the group! Look forward to your input and experiences learned.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

WhiteKnight, you’re more than welcome to use that term! As a matter of fact, tell your friends! lol
    I’ve never been to Buffalo, but drove around it a couple of times on my way to Niagara Falls. A friend of mine went to SUNY Buffalo and described it as a post industrial “Rust Belt” city. He even had his car broken into the first year he was there. They smashed out a window to grab some spare change that was visible. It wasn’t long before he transferred out to another state.

Novus Ordo, I’ve read a couple of your replies and you strike me as a wise man. I look forward to reading more of your contributions.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Yeah, some areas of Buffalo are tame, but others are absolutely crime infested. Just like any city I guess.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

It’s been nearly three years since I last checked in…how active has this site been and how many people do we have left? Since the last presidential elections, has their been a decline in concerns, an uptick, or has it been pretty much status quo?

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Drop off of sorts, people have come and gone,
    however some of the core members are still around.

Have to say, it’s the busy season for many and appearances are scarce some days.

Good to have you back, anything going on?

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Hey Whirlibird! Thank you for the reply and update.
    Yeah, I checked on some older posts and a lot of the people who I remember haven’t been active from about two and a half years to about two months ago. I guess everybody is taking advantage of the summer and prepping! (haha)
    Honestly, there has been tons of things going on which are my primary reasons for my absence. Mostly good things such as an addition to my family and career life changes have been happening. I’ll post some thoughts I’ve had on the days to come.
    Thanks again for the welcome back.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I would change the title from occupied ny to Insane New York. JSS

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

I explain why I call it “Occupied” NY in my profile.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Ihshala, welcome back. I arrived after you left. You bring back some needed energy. And I concur entirely about your view of NY. I left upstate nearly 50 years ago, and it was heading downhill already. I wouldn’t go back to NY for anything. I’m a UB grad, and attended my graduation about 1500 feet above everyone else (in a Cessna 150 LOL!). I tried to time it so I could add as much noise to the main speaker (responsible for the earlier Berkeley riots, and subsequently those in the SUNY system). I was told that my noise drowned out at least a portion of his speech and got a standing ovation by many. I have the photo to prove my observation point – including the fact that about 1/3 of the graduates’ seats were empty in the stadium because so many simply would not even attend their own graduations either. Terrible times back then, and the occupation only got worse as you so painfully know. And sadly, as I said in another post, there are areas I LOVED – like the Finger Lakes region, even places outside of Buffalo itself (which one west coast sports writer once called “the armpit of the east”). Nice perhaps to visit at certain times of the year, but I wouldn’t live in the State again for anything. The sad thing is, even my area has deteriorated dramatically, especially after the mass migration from Katrina, many of whom never left – they stayed to attach themselves here (parasites), and suck us dry. Every Halloween we sit and watch the tell-tale cars drive slowly by, canvassing the neighborhoods, but not following any children out collecting candy. Then the crime waves hit between then and shortly after all the Christmas presents are in the houses. It’s become predictable. We’ve got security equipment I never DREAMED I’d “need.” Now, I either need it, or I’m paranoid. I obviously won’t admit to my delusions, so …. ;-)

Best wishes to you and Brulen up there. We may be about to experience what you got after Sandy, depending on which side of Florida Irene chooses. It’s hard being stuck somewhere with very difficult choices to be made, regardless of whether one stays or relocates. But this country has come to that – it’s part of the paralyzing plan (a consequence of the Cloward Piven strategy).

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint GeorgiaSaint.
    Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Thank you, GS! It’s good to be back, but it feels like SHTF already and everyone bugged-out! (lol). I’ll try to check in as often as practical, but I don’t plan to disappear for as long as I did before. I love your graduation story BTW!

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.