Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GirlScout
    GirlScout
    rreallife

I’m GirlScout from Idaho. I’m 46, married. I’ve always been fascinated with SHTF scenarios and historical life. Like to think I’m better mentally prepared than some. I’ve just begun actively prepping this year. 90 days food storage, two weeks water, raised bed garden doing well, trading up on firearms soon <grin>. I collect functional antiques like oil lamps, cast iron cookware, canning supplies. Husband is not a prepper. He teases, but doesn’t discourage.
    I’ve been evacuated from my home before and been stranded in my car in the desert.

Good life lessons there. Decided there was no logical reason to be in the same situation again. I have GHB in car and my EDC is pretty solid. Working on BOBs for us, but bugging in is more likely. I’m working on hard copy database of Homesteading skills, emergency medical, etc.

I try to keep preps in line with most likely occurrences. In our area (my opinion), a grid down event or pandemic has the highest chance of happening. Water is a major concern. Hoping to set up rain water collection soon.
    Long way to go, but it’s a process.

~ GirlScout
    “It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
    ― Charles Darwin

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Hello GirlScout and welcome to the forums, yes there is nothing like real life experience to show you that it make sense to be prepared.

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

Welcome and just remember to keep adding a little bit every month.

Pinhead
    Pinhead
    Prepper
    member2

Welcome, sounds like you’re off to a great start.

"When government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Good to have you here, Ma’am… (yes, you’re a “Ma’am”, even though we’re the same age)…

Your husband sounds like my wife. No worries, he will come around, same as my wife did. If you dump all the Doom on him at once, chances are you won’t get a convert. Keep whittling him down, and he’ll be on board sooner or later…

Water issue – is drilling a well a possibility? We’re pretty much free to do as we please down here in Bluegrass country. A well down this way runs about $3,000 on average (drilling the well, capping and installing a pump)…. Even though we have a pond on the farm fed by an underground stream, it obviously is loaded with animal poo and other things… requiring filtering and purification before it’s potable. We’re toying with the idea of drilling a well on the high ground, both for drinking and for irrigation (though a rain collection system would be a plus, if only for doing laundry and other things requiring “soft” water..).

Again, welcome. And don’t be a stranger. :)

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

GirlScout
    rreallife

Thanks for the welcomes!

@ Malgus – I can live with Ma’am. :) Unfortunately, well drilling in this urban environment is not permitted. Storage and rainwater collection are my only options. I’m working on husband regarding a couple acres in the woods for a cabin, but that’s also a process…

~ GirlScout
    “It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
    ― Charles Darwin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

“A couple acres..”

I would argue for at least 10 acres. There is a book I’m reading – “10 Acres Enough”. About a guy who gets tired of the rat race, trying to keep his business afloat, sells everything and blows town for the country… buys 10 acres and makes a self-sufficient stand. He actually pulls it off, but not without some trials…

Highly recommended.

Shame about the well. Seems TPTB are bound and determined to milk us like cows for everything… “A Well?!? How DARE you try and not pay us for water!”

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    Don’t you guys use Miss? She could easily be
    Miss GirlScout like Miss Tweva

Welcome aboard GirlScout

GirlScout
    rreallife

The “couple acres” we’re looking at backs onto Forest Service land. :)

~ GirlScout
    ― Charles Darwin

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

“Miss” is usually reserved for single females of marriageable age…. usually. I’ve heard it used for married females before, though..

“Ma’am” is used for married females. It’s a politeness thing, not a social-pecking-order thing… it’s something you just do, like taking off your hat, opening doors for a woman or standing up when a woman enters a room…

It’s an old holdover, but it’s a bit of civility left over from the old world that I like to preserve… in sharp contrast to the barbarism our world is descending into…

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

GirlScout,
    It sounds like a nice place to be. In the current social/political climate confirm the activities you are allowed to engage in on the forest service land. I’m in Pennsyltucky and except for taking game in season or getting a permit to remove cut trees you can’t do anything but walk in the woods. I’d be scared of getting caught with an acorn in my pocket because they might confiscate my car for using it in the commission of a crime.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

On the Eastern Shore of Maryland, (it is a land where time stood still for 50 years) and should not be confused with anywhere metropolitan. All women are Miss “first name” Just like in the movie Driving Miss Daisy.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Yeah, well Marylanders are weird anyways… got that whole Mordor on the Potomac thing going on… :)

I’ll stick with Ma’am, because that’s the way my Mamma raised me..

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Girl Scout,

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome to the forum! Hope you find your time here educational. I certainly have!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.