Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

I go by the name Elijah B. here. I have worked with an unidentified responsibility in a law enforcement and security field, as well as a microbiologist, and other things besides.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I came across the concept, as far as I recall, about a year ago from watching Doomsday Preppers. Even though the people shown in it had different views to mine, I could see the sense in becoming prepared for various possibilities. I have spent the year working to learn more on a range of subjects and assemble a cohesive plan.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

I am convinced that doing nothing and hoping for the best is a recipe for disaster. I see in prepping a chance to improve my chances if tough times come; I am convinced they almost certainly will. Prepping also gives me a challenge, as I love to think through ways of solving questions: what vehicle to use, how to set it up; what foods to store, how long is the use-by date; what meds to store, how to use them; where could I escape to if I had to; and so on.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

It’s apparent I can’t prepare for every possibility, but only for the most plausible things and what is within my reach. I see an economic collapse or fire as more likely than an earthquake, tornado or hurricane where I live. I don’t have the means to buy land to live on and must rent, so I am vulnerable that way. All I can do is stock up on supplies of food, water, meds, etc, and hope for the best for things that are outside my control.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

“Vegetarian” is an old Indian word for “Bad Hunter”.

The true mark of a civilization is in how it treats its most vulnerable members.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

1. Try to escape, and
    2. “Jesus Christ, I repent of my sins; receive me as you promised to do.”

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

“Vegetarian” is an old Indian word for “Bad Hunter”.

That cracked me up! Thanks for the laugh! :)

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Elijah B.
    Yep, doing nothing and hoping for the best is recipe for disaster, it is what most people do, we simply have to be different.
    I too like that old Indian word :)

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi Elijah and welcome to our little hangout here. Thanks for making me laught too! :) Good to see some light words when talking about such a “dark” topic as survival. It really doesn’t have to be so serious all the time.

Prepping also gives me a challenge, as I love to think through ways of solving questions: what vehicle to use, how to set it up; what foods to store, how long is the useby date; what meds to store, how to use them; where could I escape to if I had to; and so on.

This is also really the case for me. I like the planning and thinking part of preparedness. When I went to interview Selco I had so many “aha” moments (moments when I realized what makes sense and what not) that helped me to get the right perspective and build a foundation for my planning. I keep learning more of course and refine my plans on an ongoing basis (and even more important, put them into action).

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

Elijah, I don’t know where I posted what you asked about referring to King Solomon’s temple. What I had meant to send you was this:

http://www.ameu.org/Current-Issue/Current-Issue/2014-Volume-47/In-Search-of-King-Solomons-Temple.aspx

So I am answering you belatedly here in the hope that you will still see it.

I sent you those other articles because I had forgotten that this one had been published in “The Link”, the magazine of Americans for Middle East Understanding. I STRONGLY recommend the AMEU website as the finest source of information on all that relates to Palestine.

The magazine is published on the web, and it is free of charge. If you want to subscribe to the hard copy, they ask for $40 a year.

I hope that you enjoy the unbiased information.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“I don’t have the means to buy land to live on and must rent, so I am vulnerable that way” Elijah

I thought about this issue of not having the best biulding or location at the start of a shtf event and decided that taking control of a nearby suitable facility for protection is probably the thing to do. Squatters rights. Pick 2 or 3 places that will be empty after work hours/weekends and move in right when it starts.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Thank you Anselm.

Squatter’s Rights: it’s worth thinking about; thanks for the suggestion.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Elijah B – good to see you found us. Hope to see you active in the forums as time permits. I’m in the same boat for now; not enough income for any extra land – right now. I hope to remedy that very soon. Lots of good discussions here so don’t be afraid to ask anything.

Take Care, K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of Xocjm
    Xocjm
    Veteran
    member4

Welcome, I think you will find an abundance of information here to help you along.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Pick 2 or 3 places that will be empty after work hours/weekends and move in right when it starts. – See more at: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/prepper-profile-elijah-b/?bbp_reply_to=20641&_wpnonce=e877c654b1#new-post

I’m referring to an event causing total mayhem of course. i don’t think you would get way with thing in just a temporary or mild disturbance.

Profile photo of Anselm
    Anselm
    Survivalist
    member6

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>elijah wrote:</div>Thank you Anselm.

Squatter’s Rights: it’s worth thinking about; thanks for the suggestion.

Elijah, as regards getting land, this might be of help. Anything listed as an urban lot or as farmland is much more expensive than something listed as raw land or hunting land. Anything listed in a local community paper by the actual owner is cheaper than what is listed by a real estate agent. If you yourself place an ad stating what you need, you will be astonished at how many owners will come out of the woodwork who had not listed property which they were willing to sell. I’ve known people who had given up on an area but, the moment they put out their land wanted ad, they got eight or ten replies and found exactly what they had dreamed of.

Also consider this. The Book of the Apocalypse says that a few will survive in the desert. The word desert there means desolate place. It can be the literal desert, like the Mojave, or abandoned buildings in the middle of Detroit. As so many businesses have folded, there are perfectly useable buildings available everywhere at rock bottom prices. Sellers are more desperate than buyers.

So long as you bring sunlight indoors, either with mirrors or with fiber optic cables, you can grow food like crazy inside a building. I mean it absolutely does not need to be a greenhouse. You can buy a small building that used to be a dry cleaners or a VCR repair place, or a massage parlor and turn one of its rooms into a food forest. You can have raised beds in the middle going up classic stairway fashion; trellises; containers of plants hanging from the ceiling with vines dangling; and containers of plants climbing the walls hitched to supports. You can also attach poles with little holes from floor to ceiling and have food vines go up grabbing the little holes for support. So long as your roof is solid you’re in business; the crappier your little building looks from outside, the better.

If you rent, you can still grow a small but respectable amount of food in containers. The important thing is that neighbors don’t see it, or that they don’t recognize it as food — that they thing it’s decoration only, or weeds.

And, if you really can’t get a place for whatever the reason, don’t feel bad. Soon, it’s likely that no one will have property anyway. By A or by B, it will all be confiscated; call it asset forfeiture, sharing or what have you. The important thing is to learn to swim, roll with the punches, adapt …

All that we have prepared may turn out irrelevant. We are learnedly discussing which breed of apple is the hardiest, which rifle jams the least, whether a Kubota tractor is really better than brand XYZ and, in the end, the situation may invalidate all we know and all we have done. Here is the idea: we are aboard the Titanic and figuring out how to put these materials and those together as life jackets but, in a moment, we hit the water and, yes, we float, but the water is so cold that we shall all be dead in 13 minutes anyway. We shall not have drowned; we shall all have frozen. This is what I suspect is happening. Everyone is preparing for the drowning and no one for the freezing.

He will have the greatest chance to survive who keeps his mind most open and examines all sides of an issue, rejecting nothing “a priori”. The guys with the one-track mind, ultimately different variants of Mad Max, will quickly die. More than building little fortresses, we need to improvise and adapt.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.