Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of drunkmonkey
    drunkmonkey
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)
    Hi, my handle on this forum is Drunk Monkey (don’t let the name fool you) I just recently moved to sunny southwest Florida and I am a few years shy of 40. I know that I am an anomaly down here in Florida. When I talk to the old timers in the area they are all programmed like robots to ask if I have already retired… of course not I am under 40!
    I have a bachelor of science in agriculture (I’ve been growing trees all my life), served in the Army Reserve for several years as a heavy equipment operator in a combat engineer unit. I ran my own business for a while gaining loads of experience in masonry, electrical, plumbing, carpentry and I am an expert Jerry-rigger. If you need something to work I can make it work even if I have to beat it with a hammer.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?
    I was working at a tree nursery in Atlanta on 9/11 when we got news over the radio that a plane struck the WTC. See a few months prior to that, me and the future Mrs. had visited NYC in June and we rode in on the train from Hoboken NJ and arrived underneath the WTC plaza to spend a day sight-seeing. It made me sick to see the attacks and I then realized that life is short, so I am going to make damn sure I can hang till the end of the party.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?
    Being prepared is important to me. 5 years ago I was living in a northern rust-belt city. It was an early Sunday morning in October, the sun just begun to rise and I was still half asleep laying in my bed next to my wife. All of a sudden a loud crash hit my back door. For 3 seconds I froze while my brain was analyzing the sound of the door being smashed in. I then leaped from my bed and grabbed my 12 ga. from behind the door. I racked a shell and quietly headed down to meet the idiot who was trying kick in the door. Lucky for him and me I lived in an old house and the door was a thick 100 year old wood door with a heavy dead bolt. The guy never made it through and when he saw me coming he took off. Later when talking to the police I found out the guy made forced entry into 3 other homes that morning terrorizing the people that were home. When the police caught him he was high on PCP, a true real life example of how vulnerable we all are.
    Prepping scenario: a SHFT event followed by WROL and collapse of public infrastructure. God only knows what will be the actual cause.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?
    Over that last decade, my thinking has dramatically shifted. I moved from just buying crap to help me survive a few months to living a more self-sufficient life style. Growing some of my food, building what I need out of raw materials, scavenging stuff people throw out and practicing the art of keeping a low profile and blending in.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?
    My age automatically disqualifies me from having any true wisdom. My current favorite quote comes from a recent episode of TWD (yes, I like to watch zombie shows on TV) one of the survivors/cannibals said: “You are either the butcher or the cattle.” In my warped mind that makes perfect sense to me. Go into any big city or your local mall and look around at the masses of cattle roaming about. It’s a scary thing and I chose not to be part of the herd.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?
    I would like to think that I would say or do nothing, just accept the fact that I am going to die.

Profile photo of KOS
    KOS
    Survivalist
    member7

Hello and welcome.

Never be afraid to do the righteous thing, nothing righteous is ever easy.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome Drunk Monkey. It is good to see you here. There are lots of things to learn and not as much time as we would like, but these folks have interesting info to pass on. Listen, learn, and pass along your experiences so others may learn from you. Ron S

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome Drunk Monkey.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Welcome to the forum DrunkMonkey. And, don’t sell yourself short. I know some 10 year olds than are wiser and hvae more common sense than people 5 times their age.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, some younger voices and perspectives can help us old guys look at things in new ways, so jump right in.

Profile photo of Inshala
    Inshala
    Veteran
    member4

Greetings Drunk Monkey! It seems as though we are the same age group and generation. I wonder if this is a new trend?

Anyways…a like-minded friend of mine recommended this site and it’s pretty hard to stay off of it. There’s a lot of good information, advice, and opinions on here. I might have to tap your knowledge of agriculture in the near future since I have limited experience in that field.

Cheers!

"If I'm gonna die, I'm gonna die historic on the Fury Road."

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Drunk Monkey – welcome aboard! Look forward to your input on the forum.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of twobravo
    twobravo
    Medic
    rprepper

Welcome Drunk Monkey. I spent 20 years in Naples. Maybe you are near there?

Be good, or be good at it.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Glad to have you here Drunkmonkey!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.