Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of colin9h2
    colin9h2
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Hey everybody, my name is Colin and I’m from the semi-grand state of Florida. Moved here last year from New Jersey; a definite change of pace to be sure! Im in the Army National Guard and am switching to active duty hopefully within the next year.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

Fear. You see boys and girls, if you keep looking for that monster under your bed, sooner or later, you’re going to find it. And it’ll be more horrifying than you could ever imagine. I remember a long ways back, power went out in our area for about a day. Although minor in terms of the other stories you’ve read and I’ve read on this site, it was enough for me. We were severely unprepared in terms of necessities and planning. I was scared, no shame it that. Since then I’ve grown up and have become my family’s protector. Everything I do is for them. If something like this happens again or God forbid something worse, I’ll be ready. Best believe that.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

Being in the military has completely changed my though process. You prepare for everything. Always asking questions on what to do when things go wrong, and they always go wrong. On the plus side, it is a worthwhile hobby of sorts that definitely helps me sleep at night, knowing that my family will be ok if I’m not there to provide for them. Being an infantryman in the National Guard, we respond to these kind of disasters. We all have families too, so I’m preparing for the time that I will be separated from my family and will have to ensure they are ready to charlie mike if I can’t get to them.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

Physical fitness is the number one aspect of prepping in my book. It doesn’t matter how many bullets or beans you got in your closet, if you cant ruck that weight, you’re toast. Everyone thinks of this grand scheme where they and their group are gallantly surviving in some post shtf world. No one tells you about the stench, the fatigue, the moodiness, the lack of nutrition and basic creature comforts. “A sound mind in a sound body.” The ancient Greeks believed that one could not be achieved without the other. In less than ideal situations, your mind will either kill you dead or help you thrive where others can’t. Prepare from the inside out, works for me.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

“Few are willing to brave the disapproval of their fellows, the censure of their colleagues, the wrath of their society. Moral courage is a greater commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality for those who seek to change a world that yields most painfully to change. And I believe that in this generation those with the courage to enter the moral conflict will find themselves with companions in every corner of the globe.” – Robert Francis Kennedy. You may not think this guy wasn’t worth his weight in scat, but this statement rings true in the very essence of our American spirit. Always do the right thing guys, its what separates men from the monsters.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

Axios. General Gnaeus Domitus Corbulo said this when ordered to commit suicide by Roman Emperor Nero. Genral Corbulo shouted this to prove his loyalty to Rome and its people. It means “I am worthy”. Worthy of my family, my service to others, and the freedom that my brothers fight for every minute of every day. Axios.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Welcome aboard. Glad you are here.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome, Colin. I am sure that you will fit right in with our little group. Many of us here are prior service, and some are actively serving now. Although I am retired now, it will be interesting to see some of the viewpoints from the Military side.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome here Colin!

Profile photo of undeRGRönd
    undeRGRönd
    Survivalist
    member8

Hi Colin! Glad to have you with us

"ROGUE ELECTRICIAN" Hoping to be around to re-energize the New World.....

Cogito, ergo armatus sum

Profile photo of Amanda11
    Amanda11
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome, Colin! I stumbled onto Selco’s website recently as well, and this was the first one I’ve ever joined. The course, blog and forum have been incredibly helpful, and having a network of like-minded people to ask questions and bounce ideas off of has been priceless. In the last few weeks of being a member I’ve learned more than I had in the last year of learning solo. Hope you enjoy your time here, and I look forward to seeing your contributions!

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Welcome Colin. The Monster Under the Bed scenario makes me think of how as an adult I would think of it, which is to confront the fear and attack. I see the prepping response as being the adult reaction to scenarios that some people see as possibilities, while others ignore through their fear.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

Welcome to the forum!

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Colin, when I retired from Uncle Sam’s Canoe Club I swore I would never be cold or wet or both at the same time. Now I am planning on such a type of living after SHTF so lessons learned are being applied.
    Only good thing about you and a hundred and seven of your close friends living/eating and working within 600 square feet is everyone smells the same after 2 weeks of living in your clothes! Hopefully you will find this out while at Ft Dix during maneuvers and not in Iraq!
    Now that you have faced your fears and overcome the rest is downhill.
    Welcome
    Robin

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Colin, welcome

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Colin – welcome aboard from another of those .mil guys on the forum. My tour is just about up; but glad to see guys like you stepping up to the plate to take our place. Look forward to your input.

Semper Fi, K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.