Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bearcat
    Bearcat
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Please introduce yourself?

I’ve lived in Northeast Florida all my life, but have seen most of the Eastern US through a truck windshield, so most of what I’ve seen is the “bad” parts of town. Now disabled with serious health issues, which requires even more of my resourcefulness in prepping.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I’ve always been ‘prepped'; here in NE Florida hurricanes, tornadoes, and severe thunderstorms are common. Now that the threat from ‘civilization’ is actually greater than that from weather my prepping scheme has expanded exponentially to include personal defense, e & e, bugging out planning in detail, and many new skillsets.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

Turns out that my prepping efforts are almost useless to me; I can’t really bug out, so this is all for my wife & son who don’t have any interest in prepping now. They might wake up when TSHTF; I can hope. I’m preparing for food & water shortages with some standoff capability in case of civil disorder, and have a plan for bugout to a rural area 200 miles away, far from the Golden Horde migration routes. I’ve carefully selected this area for access to food and water, and am developing relationships there for sudden arrival.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

I believe in preparing for all you can, remembering that there are situations for which there is no preparation. I keep my resourcefulness hat on at all times.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

“Too soon old; too late smart…”

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

I figure I’m never more than 30 seconds from death anyway; if I haven’t already said it (and I make SURE I have recently) there’s no point in getting it out now.

See more at: http://community.shtfschool.com/forums/topic/add-your-prepper-profile/#sthash.L4r2EAH3.dpuf

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome to the forums Bearcat

Profile photo of Bearcat
    Bearcat
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Thanks, Selco.
    I have to say that you have provided a service to the preparedness community that is incalculable; your mindset, as well as your experience have awakened many of us to what could happen, and how to deal with it.
    Please keep up the good work!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum Bearcat.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome Bearcat. A question for you. The scenario of you being a prepper but wife & son are not is more common than not. Assuming your wife & son outlive you, how vested are they in your BOL? Will they maintain what you have put in place on their behalf? I ask because we now live full time in what was the BOL, and I know if I got hit by a bus tomorrow that my wife will sell it. In fairness she couldn’t begin to maintain this property herself and she’ll opt for a condo somewhere. My ideal would be a solution that holds onto the property so it is here for the kids come SHTF. I planted the seed that she could easily rent it out during the summer, foliage season, and especially ski season to family groups that need lots of space, for several grand a week.

Profile photo of Bearcat
    Bearcat
    Survivalist
    rprepper

MB, I’m pretty ambivalent on possible future scenarios. On one hand, it drives me nuts to see the indifference of the family to the inevitable. But on the other hand, I actually have seen these people rise magnificently to unforeseen challenges. So I just ‘keep on keeping on,’ as my 92-year-old mother says. While the family calls me “McGyver” for my talent for improvising in every situation, they also have come up with some astonishing solutions to problems.
    So I guess I’m casting my bread upon the waters…
    We don’t actually have a BOL at this time; preparing mostly for bug-in and/or evacuation grey-man style. We have a geographical location in mind, but no dedicated facilities there. Not a strong plan, but all I have at the mo’…

Profile photo of c
    c
    member7

Welcome Bearcat. :) That is a very interesting avatar image. What is it, if you don’t mind me asking?

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

welcome Bearcat. I am sure you will find many folks here from many different countries with a multitude of skill-sets and backgrounds. It seems as though we all are concerned about the same scenerios and have ideas to contribute. I am looking forward to yours. Ron S.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum Bearcat, I live in Miami FL so the prepping for storms is something we all do here in Florida. The time a SHTF you need to have the weapons for you and your son and wife. You really do not know if you will have the time to get out safe. Build up and store were you are at and prepare. Economical collapse is high on the list of SHTF civil unrest.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Welcome to the forums.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.