Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Hello, I’m Anika! I’m a 42-year-old female with a mechanical engineering background, formerly of the Midwest but recently transported to the Pacific Northwest (a prepper’s dream land!).

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I’ve been interested in survival skills since being born to a father who was a survivalist. We always had survivalist media around the home, and he was always drawing up plans, or taking us out for survival days in various seasons. I really enjoyed them, even at a young age. On top of that, my mother was a natural medicinal herbalist and gardener, so I got quite a number of my most practical and daily-use skills from her. Growing up without a lot of funds was certainly useful, in this situation, because every day was a “make do or figure out something new” sort of day, and I think that was very beneficial and influential.

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

Survivalism is interesting to me for all the reasons listed, and also because I am a frugalist and appreciate self-sufficiency. As to what scenario I’m preparing for, I hate to say it, but given the global economics, I am just preparing for life in general! Especially life after 65, when my income will be greatly diminished (but not totally, thanks to Dave Ramsey and similar practical economists lighting a fire under me).

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

Again, don’t consider myself a “hardcore” survivalist. I am educating myself about weaponry, because that is always smart, but also I think most important is what I can do NOW in day-to-day life, such as gardening, water conservation, machine repair, basic first aid – things that I can use in my suburban setting whether we get invaded eventually or not. I would say this is now a lifestyle for me, rather than just preparedness for an ambiguous eventuality. I do so appreciate Selco’s course and routine updates, because it keeps me mindful of possibilities, and awareness is key to developing an interest and eventual skills to make it through.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

Yesterday was the best time to learn self-sufficiency. Today is the second best time.

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say

I would hop into the Department of Motor Vehicles queue, because that always seems like an eternity.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

I am glad to have you here Anika.
    Best way of preparing is to live it, I am doing it too, it is my life, I just learn and do things that have sense. That is what real survival and prepping is about.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Haha good one, for your last things to do before dying. Welcome Anika, glad you got raised with the right mindset.

Even though the government (in Europe, dont know about what the US government says about this) promises to take care of people when they are old, its such a joke. We don’t even have enough children over there to come up with the money for that and who knows if tax in this form still exists in 10 or 20 years.

Learning about survival to be prepared for retirement as well makes a lot of sense.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thank you for fixing my titles for me! Glad to be here. :)

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

We will see how it goes once we launch the forum. Maybe the html markup is a bit too tricky for most people, but right now the plan is to fix things up and keep it better readable :)

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Hi anika. Growing up in a survivalist environment is something to envy. Those who grew up in the city have all sorts of bad practices that are difficult to unlearn in order to become good preppers. Growing up learning how to do all sorts of things to be self sufficient is a definite plus. Welcome.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Thanks, Elijah! I wasn’t always cognizant of the benefits, but I’ve come around completely. Someone’s profile was discussing Peak Oil, and my dad was really big on that, too, so it brought back a smile remembering how much I rolled my eyes when he tried to school us on it at one point while I was in junior high and only interested in clothes and boys! (I got a nice swat for that, believe you me! Definitely made me pay more attention, and good thing! :) )

Profile photo of Kollaps
    Kollaps
    Survivalist
    member3

Good to have you, Anika–here’s to parents who still teach their children gardening and other practical skills (my father, in my case)!

Profile photo of RedStone
    RedStone
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome Anika. Having a childhood background in life skills is a big bonus. It is amazing how much you know without even realizing it. Hats off to your parents and you.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.