Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome! Please introduce yourself? (Name, age, gender, location for example)

Hi there all. My name is Ron S. I am a 74 year-old male from Eastern South Dakota.

Since when are you into survival and preparedness and what made you get into it?

I have been prepping all my life although I didn’t know it, I just thought it was common sense. I was born a year prior to WWII, so my parents matured during the Depression of the 30’s. I was taught to make do, repair, or re-purpose as this was how my parents lived (monkey see, monkey do).

Why is survival and preparedness important or interesting for you? What scenario are you preparing for?

I am into prepping as a matter of survival, not only for my Wife and I but also for my family members. The more I know and can pass along to my children, Grand Children, and Great-Grand Children, the better all of our chances will be. I know that regardless of what happens, my Wife and I are basically stuck with bugging in. I have had 4 heart attacks and 2 bouts of Congestive Heart Failure and my Wife has to have assistance getting out of the house so here we will be. My preps are in order for us to be as comfortable as possible for as long as possible. We have been canning since the 1960’s and dehydrating food since the 1980’s and gardening longer than that (not as much now as my wifes health has gone south) but I have started doing a little container gardening so my Wife can help.

How would you describe your prepping / survival philosophy? What matters for you?

I know how fast situations can change. During the early part of 1960, when I was in the USAF, I had an acquaintance whos Father was the PostMaster of Havana, Cuba when Castro’s forces entered the city. He came home from school,and found that the soldiers were in his home and had his Mother and Sister. When the Father came home from work, they were all taken outside and he and his Father were forced to watch as his Mother and Sister were raped until they were dead, then mutilated, then his Father was dis-emboweled and mutilated. My friend was then turned loose and told that(this is what we will do to all the Elite in Cuba). In the space of two hours, his whole life changed.

Do you have some favorite quotes or words of wisdom you like?

I have two favorite sayings, Be as happy as you can but appear more so. Don’t sweat the small stuff, it is all small stuff

You are dying and have 30 seconds left, what do you do or say?

With only 30 seconds to live, I would ask them to tell my family that I did as much as I could to give them a chance and that I love them.
    I hope that this will suffice as I am not good enough on the computer to do all the other stuff, but I can sure fix it if it’s broke.
    Ron S.

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Welcome Ron.

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Good to have you, Ron. What a horrific ordeal for your friend and his family!

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Thank you. It was terrible for my friend. He asked me when we were going to bomb Cuba. When I told him that we probably would not bomb them, he said ” then I am going to get out of the Air Force, join the Marines and get assigned to Gittmo. That way I can go into town at my leisure and kill Castro’s soldiers.” The next week, he was gone.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome here Ron, I am sure it will suffice, and I am looking forward to hear more from you!

Popz
    Popz
    Survivalist
    member3

Welcome to the group Tom.

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Ron, thank you for your story – and for the story of your friend. That is precisely what I fear the US is coming to. I, too, cannot bug out and be running all over the country, living out of a backpack. That was for my younger years when I thought the whole idea would be a lark. Now, in my 60’s, it isn’t even a possibility! So we have to change our plans, but we don’t have to change our mindset – to survive.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Ron,
    Thank you for sharing!
    I can’t wait to hear more of your wisdom.
    Glad you’re here.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.