Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of patjoe
    patjoe
    Survivalist
    member2

My name is PatJoe. My family now lives in the port city of Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on the Great Lakes. My family originally got into prepping because three of our friends were knifed to death in separate incidents when we lived in Toronto (the provincial capital about 65 kilometers from our new home).

They were all unarmed and were killed in their own homes by people they knew. Two were women with children and one was a wheelchair-bound old man with no legs. We tried to intervene in one of the knifings, but the victim had already lost too much blood, and expired anyway. Although we had medical training, we realized we needed self-defence training, too. It is illegal for most people to own weapons here. It might be possible to get a hunting permit after taking a course and spending $3,000 USD.

Hamilton is somewhat less violent than the capital because it is smaller (~520,000 people). We are more concerned about economic collapse and overwhelming pollution now. The steel industry has collapsed here, so we have a high unemployment rate and no social mobiliity. Air and water quality are often poor. Many children rely on the breakfast and lunch programs at school for nutrition. We work at jobs below our level of qualifications. We are trying to learn to grow our own food this summer.

We are concerned about having no retirement pension because of recent government changes. We are interested in making a permaculture homestead in a small town when we can afford to move.

anika
    anika
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I am so sorry to hear about your friends – what a tragedy to endure. Welcome to the forums, and looking forward to getting to know you better!

Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Gypsy Wanderer Husky
    Survivalist
    exprepper

Welcome from another canadian!!

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome here Patjoe, sorry to hear about your friends.

Popz
    Popz
    Survivalist
    member3

Howdy PatJoe. My condolences as well. That is way too close to home, figuratively speaking.

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Hi Patjoe, welcome to the community. Sorry to hear what you have been through. Its often when we face the ugly reality of life that we realize what matters.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.