Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of holtzy1
    holtzy1
    Survivalist
    member1

Holtzy
    – Approximately 2 years ago I started really preparing myself and my family for emergency situations that I feel will become a reality in the near future. There are a number of strange things going on in the world today. I feel we are on the brink of a major life changing event. Whether that event will be an economic collapse, a World War, an epidemic or an unforseen event.

– My philosophy is to try and not focus on one certain aspect of preparedness. While I may not have everything I may need for a specific event, I feel this will allow my family to be prepared for a number of possible events.

– “We confide in our strengths without boasting of them, we respect those of our enemy without fearing them” – Thomas Jefferson

– While continuing to fight until the end, I would thank God for all that he has given me and ask him to continue to bless my loved ones.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome here Holtzy1, most of us also think that S. is coming.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Welcome, pull up a chair and stay a while.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Welcome to the forum Holtzy1.

Profile photo of holtzy1
    holtzy1
    Survivalist
    member1

Thanks everybody! Hopefully I can learn from all of you and in return try to provide any knowledge I may have.
    I would not consider myself an expert on anything, however, gardening is probably my strongest asset. I am what most would consider “a jack of all trades, master of none”.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

Welcome to the forum,holtzy1. I am looking forward to some posts about your gardening experiences.

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Welcome Holtzy1.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Holtzy – welcome aboard! I’ve only had my small raised garden in for two years so any suggestions or “how to’s” you feel like posting will be welcome! Look forward to it…K

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Profile photo of holtzy1
    holtzy1
    Survivalist
    member1

Sorry I have been away for a while. Novus Ordo, I too have only been using raised gardens for approximately 2 years. I am blessed to have pretty good soil and therefore did not use them for a number of years. One thing I did this year with one of my raised beds was built a frame for over the top. I simply took some 1×2’s, some plastic sheeting ( I recommend using the heaviest sheeting you can find or Plexiglas) and 2 hinges and turned it into a hot box/raised garden. I was able to start some of my vegetables early in the spring and will be able to hopefully enjoy some later into the fall. This year I tried it on mainly my onions. Obviously the height between the soil and the lid will determine exactly what you can plant. Although don’t limit it to much as the lid will remain open for most of the Summer. Also, if you try it make sure you include a way to secure the lid open. I did not early on and had to rebuild the lid when the wind destroyed the original. Most of my raised gardens are built from pallets I was able to acquire for free and scrap wood. I hope this gives you some ideas and GOOD LUCK!!

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

Welcome! Good idea on those gardens! Gardening is one thing I want to get a good handle on, and soon.

Profile photo of Ron S
    Ron S
    Survivalist
    member6

welcome holtzy1. I have been gardening for may years but can’t right now because of physical limitations. I an interested in hearing more about your hot bed designs. I had not thought of making raised beds into hot beds

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.