Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

A man being hunted by the FBI took his preps to the extreme.

Manhunt underway for Valrico 'prepper'

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Wondering is he was really a prepper or are they using the term to paint all preppers as extremist? Sounds like he Is a nutty bomber type.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I watched the news video but the FBI and the news media do not say anything about did they find anything illegal? They didn’t show if they found bombing material so why are they looking for him. They said he has a lot of weapons but they also said none are illegal so what has he done?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Free,
    Hard to say, but he probably was on a website posting statements they thought could be used to arrest him. Anti government stuff, blah blah blah you know what meen.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

74, go to the head of the class!
    Robin

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Looks like prepper to me, but why he would go publicly about some things and comments, not sure.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

The feds maybe picking on a prepper just for having a big month. But in the end they may find nothing to charge him with.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Yep, whatever gonna be, it is gonna show again wrong picture of preppers. We are gonna be weirdos.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews
    Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I saw that article too. I know how the vote will go! 5 to 4. Now which way I do not know. lol it is always 5 to 4.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

“Explosives” huh?

There was a time when all you had to do was go down to the local hardware store, show your drivers license and you could buy plain old dynamite. An “explosives license” was 25 cents, and you got them down at the local courthouse. That was back in the 1940’s…

Of course, things have changed. Now, if you want to play with things that go “bang”, you have to go through a very expensive series of classes, given by a bonafied instructor. The classes do not run all the time, so you have to make sure you are available when the classes are given. Otherwise, you are SOL. After you complete the classes, you have to beg permission from the Feds for an equally expensive license. Which is only good for a short time. And you can’t just re-apply for the license. You have to go through the classes all over again.

Not defending this guy. Just comparing “then” with “now”. Pretty much the only folks who can afford the classes and licensing are big companies with lots of liquid cash. Wouldn’t do to have farmers removing stumps on their own or digging holes the easy way… cuts into their business…

Sort of torn on this one… the country with enough nuclear weapons to destroy the world is worried about one old greybeard using meatball chemistry to mix up some stuff in his basement? I mean, yeah sure if they guy lives in suburbia, that would be an issue… but if he lived on 500 acres of land and was miles from anyone, well, who cares? If there’s an accident, he only takes out himself. They made Alfred Nobel move his operation onto a barge in the harbor because of a previous accident, so it ain’t like there’s no precedent…

And I’d like to know what kind of “explosives” he’s making? Nitro? Plastique? Plain old black powder? Be nice if they were a bit more specific.

And I’m not liking the smearing prepper types are receiving… FEMA tells us to lay in supplies of stuff “just in case”… then, when we do, we’re trash-talked as “outliers” or weirdos… and DHS is wanting prepper supply houses to snitch on their customers…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus,
    My grandfather on my mothers side used dynamite to blow stumps in the 40’s just like you’re saying. Freaked my father out when gramps clinched the blasting cap to the fuse by bitting down on it. They cleared about 20 acres that way. I found the left over blasting caps 25 years later sitting in the tractor shed.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The problem is explosives are highly regulated, especially after the Oklahoma bombing.
    ATFE will have a positive fit if you are manufacturing explosive devices.
    Fact is most if not all states have laws about it also.

Get the proper license, and it’s not hard or overly expensive and it doesn’t matter.
    Do it without the license and you are violating both state and federal laws.

Okay, straw purchases, purchases/possession by felons, manufacture of destructive devices, yup he’s not smart and has gotten himself and others over a barrel on this one.

Read the warrant and indictment for the information on this one.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

My toilet is highly regulated.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirl,

I beg to differ on the “not overly expensive” comment you made.

I’m all for doing things above-board. But explosives licenses are not cheap.

I already went over what the average Joe need to go through just to apply for one. Classes held only once or twice a year, sometimes in a regional area that might or might not be several hours away. The actual license might not be “that expensive”, but if you have to drive across the state to attend the classes, then that means you have to take out a room nearby for the duration. Fuel, lodgings, food, the classes themselves, etc. That can add up to quite a bit for someone not pulling per diem – someone not working for a big company that’s paying the bills… And you haven’t even applied for your license yet. Once you get it, it’s only good for a short time. I think it’s 3 years… might be only one year. I would have to look again. And when it expires, you have to retake the classes again just to reapply for the license. A far cry from the solid quarter and driver’s license down at the courthouse… it’s not “easy peasey Japanesey” and you’re done.

I believe they made it deliberately difficult for the average Joe to get a blaster’s license. Bad Guys don’t give a ****, so they won’t worry about a license. If you’re a Bad Guy and you’re cranking out stuff that goes “bang”, chances are you are up to something very not good and what’s one more charge heaped on top of the others you’re going to pull? Just like the weapons charges that get plea-bargained away first by the ADA, any paperwork violations – no ‘license’ – will be plea bargained away… only folks who obey the law fear those charges. Bad Guys don’t. And you know it.

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.