Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Few weeks ago my old friend become new prepper. He is war veteran too, and because economic condition in our country, floods that hit the region etc. it was not to hard to come to the conclusion that prepping make sense.

I gave him few advices for start from the area of weapon, storage, obtaining some medical stuff and similar.

Actually his weapon knowledge is cool (his “armory” too) but his food storage system , and some basic survival knowledge are missing lot of things, so we gonna work there.

We need to work on few more areas, but he is promising a lot, he is definitely not under the wrong influences that can be found everywhere,maybe someday he could join my group if everything goes fine, it is slow process.

What would be your suggestions and advices to new prepper?

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco,

My personal belief is that his first priorty is staying alive and a shtf could happen before he is ready with everything he needs to gather.

He should conduct an analysis of his defensive capabilities leaving no parameter unexamined. Building structure, location & terrain,  escape routes, water supply, ect. Demographic study of his neighborhood. Develop solutions for each found issue. Develop a needs list and resources map of where to go first for unobtainium.  Have a plan for entry/escape for those items.

BI or BO solutions.

Start stocking his food, water & meds.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

In this regard, planning stage for shtf. Should you plan to move into and/or take over a more defensible building at the start of shtf if you know you are in poor position now?  It might be a commercial,  industrial or institutional site that affords better security.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Good thoughts.
    I found especially useful work on determining who your neighbors actually are, and what you can expect from them when SHTF based on your observation.Looks like game, but when SHTF those data are really important.

Also possible resources around you is very good homework. Immediate resources and possible resources.
    There are differences between obtaining resources concerning the level of SHTF (how serious situation is)

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Selco, Since he is a war veteran he knows how to defend him self with weapons and has some ideas on security. He is missing is food and water storage knowledge.

Start him on the cheaper foods first and build up from there. Have him start by storing rice and beans. Then add can foods that can be added to the rice and beans. Then after that he can start other foods(grains, pastas, can foods, etc).

On water you will have to show him the ways to filter water and were to find and store water.

This will be a start. I think that you need to go slow since if you go to fast he will feel like it is to much.

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

First Aid kit in the house – First Aid Kit in the vehicle/ add a map of area. Small bug out bag everywhere you go.

Simply add few items you normally buy (not fresh products) that is on special/sale every time you go shopping. That goes to stockpile when you get home. Cook out of stockpile often to prevent loss. (That tends to happen often in the beginning- not checking expiry dates while shopping / loss – not replacing old stock with new stock)

Gain knowledge & experience more than anything else. Read and practice. Simply try to fix things yourself, if not get the expert out, pay him  – but stay, watch and learn.

Enjoy your knew hobby…and lifestyle !

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Beginners beyond anything else, food, weapons, what is needed is perspective and balance

Most beginners go overboard with weapons, food, panic buying.

Perspective and balance give one the ability to avoid the panic, to look beyond the right now and see tomorrow.

They allow you to buy an extra can or two every time you shop rather than panic buying a pallet of stuff you will never eat/use.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Lot of beginners go with just weapon buying, OK I agree it is must have, but they just forget on other items that does not maybe look “so cool” but they maybe equally important.

Another thing that beginners forget (and some that are not so beginners) are skills.
    People simply forget that they actually need to LEARN as a part of prepping.

Malgus
    Malgus
    Survivalist
    member8

The only thing I can add to the above excellent comments is “Know your limitations”.

– Take a long, hard, honest look at yourself. Figure out what your weaknesses are. Concentrate on improving those.
    – Start small and build up.
    – Don’t fall for the “tacticool” crap. If it’s stupid, but works, then it ain’t stupid. So, go with what works. It doesn’t have to be black and have velcro to work.
    – Practice your fundamentals. Fire, shelter, food, water. Everything else will come after that.
    – If you have to move, go as light as possible. Ounces equals pounds. Figure out what you need, and then dump everything else. (Always hated humping useless crap around the countryside…).
    – Minimize your risks. Life is dangerous to a degree, but there are things we can do to minimize our risks… for instance, don’t do that (points at guy who got dead doing something remarkably stupid).
    – A “Hero” is usually the guy who is responsible for getting a lot of other people killed…
    – Try to look unimportant.
    – Go armed. Always. Even to the toilet.

There’s more, but meh… I’m gonna write all this stuff down one of these days…

The wicked flee when none pursueth..." - Proverbs 28:1

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Malgus I like your comment about knowing your limitations, physically,  mentally,  knowledge,  ability, etc. A person or group can plan for the weakness and find work arounds (or not), just don’t wait to find out when you need to do it and you can’t.

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Having learned the hard way about food storage and daily need after SHTF I suggest printing out some of the strings/subjects/answers and let him read them. Once done ask him if there are any he would like to talk about with you.

Robin

Jay
    Jay
    Survivalist
    member3

Fantastic points that everyone mentioned.

Most beginners go overboard with weapons, food, panic buying.

I would really want to highlight the point of “panic buying”. Once you realize that the floor under your feet can break away any second this can easily happen to a lot of people (and a lot of companies cash in on that). First I would say is take a step back and learn. Do research as if you would start a new hobby and make sure you know how to spend your resources wisely or you end up with a lot of crap you throw away sooner or later.

That’s why Im a big fan of food rotation and not much into the freeze dried food for a whole year idea, that is of course unless you eat them like regular food as well.

Alea iacta est ("The die has been cast")

Leopard
    Leopard
    Survivalist
    member8

To convince someone to change his/ her lifestyle and become a survivalist is very important. Not only in your family … and circle of close friends. If your neighborhood could all be prepared.. You will be able to survive, not only a natural disaster but the economy. To convince someone into the right mindset, you need to start with something familiar and ‘normal’ to have. Water in the vehicle, first aid kit, herb garden – all pretty ordinary stuff. Then lets go jogging or play paintball. What about saving some money and get a solar panel. And before you know it, you’ve got yourself a friend that think survival and buy a water tank.

Better not to scare them into preparing – make them realize for themselves

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.