Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of verde
    verde
    Survivalist
    member1

Here is a good article about the psychology of partners who have a different viewpoint about prepping. You might find this article useful if you are in that situation. Or it might be good idea to show this to your partner.
    Short excerpt:
    “Another common response is that one feels as if one’s partner is mentally ill or has “lost it” in relation to collapse or NTHE. For the reluctant partner, this can be terrifying, and for the prepping partner, the sense that one’s significant other believes they are going crazy is exceedingly painful. For both individuals, a profound loneliness ensues. Both partners feel that they cannot discuss and share the things that are most important to them with the other. In this situation, it is extremely important for the prepping partner to have other people to talk with about preparation so that the immediate family is not the only place for doing so. In most cases, it is more likely that the prepping partner will have venues for doing this than the non-prepping partner who usually feels embarrassed about telling anyone about the preparations that their partner is making. One woman told me that she was exceedingly concerned about friends and neighbors discovering the passion with which her husband was storing food and water and acquiring medical supplies in preparation for collapse. She knew that her husband wasn’t crazy, but she was certain that people outside the family would believe he was.”

http://guymcpherson.com/2015/04/loving-living-and-preparing-with-a-reluctant-partner/

Profile photo of namelus
    namelus
    Survivalist
    member7

another person who cares what others think. it is like worrying about how you are dressed and where you sit and with who you sit in life boat on the titanic, missing the point of get on the life boat.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

If they are reluctant is of no concern , opposed is a different story , as you can still do what you need to do with the reluctant ones . Find a woman that grew up in Mormonism , they wont think anything of it , even if they no longer practice .

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Good point. Reluctant is very different than opposed. My wife is reluctant and doesn’t want to talk about this stuff, but she doesn’t oppose what I do.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

Another good thing about that is , that after a while , it becomes a routine and they dont think much about it one way or the other .

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

It is important what both your partner and the neighbors think.

Yes even the neighbors.
    They will be the first ones you have contact with, will likely trade with (Mrs Capone can Al spare a cup of bullets?) and will be watching your place while you watch theirs.

and if I’ve torqued them off with my therapeutic rooster crowing at all hours, it may not play out like I would want.

And while I may like to till up the front yard and put in a garden, it hardly makes sense to devalue our home as well as theirs. Don’t make enemies where they don’t exist.

As to the significant other, if they are rolling their eyes at you, maybe its time to slow down and start sipping your tea rather than gulping it down.

My wife, not a prepper per se.
    But putting food back when its cheap, meat in the freezer by hunting, that’s all good. Heck she spent $2500 on camping gear recently, sure its glamping gear but I also appreciate a hot shower and cooked food without ashes in it.

A lot comes from what direction you take, what stimulus. Economic colapse? Nutter.
    Putting a couple months payments back against emergencies or job loss, good thinking.
    Snowbound for a week or more? Common around here.
    Putting enough back to not have to hit the grocery but every couple weeks, good planning.
    Making a war-wagon? Nut case.
    Upgrading the truck to better pull a trailer and installing a deer guard to prevent damage? Good thinking.

Appearances do mean something, you don’t fit, you attract attention.

Profile photo of L Tecolote
    L Tecolote
    Survivalist
    member8

Whirlibird, good advice!

Cry, "Treason!"

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Yes good advice. I sometimes cringe when I see people creating an adversarial relationship with neighbors over stupid stuff. It could come back to bite them when the SHTF. They don’t have to become your best friend but it is in your interest to at least get along with them. Similarly don’t become a thorn in the side of town officials over stupid stuff. Not every battle is worth fighting and sometimes winning a battle can cause you to lose the war. I have a neighbor a couple houses up the road who objected to my son and I doing target practice in the backyard. Where we were doing it had an open field down to her place without a noise buffer and she said it was scaring her horses. So we stopped doing it. One of these days I will build a target shooting spot back in the woods but until then I can go to the club I belong to. It’s my right to shoot on my own property but its not worth ticking off that neighbor.

Small gestures can go a long way too. Something I do whenever I make bread (excellent artisan level bread if I do say so myself) is I make an extra loaf and give it to someone, often people I only casually know.

I have 4 immediate neighbors. Three we’re very friendly with. The 4th we were too but the husband died and some white trash quasi-relatives saw an opportunity to loot the elderly widow’s estate. There isn’t anything any of us can do about it. The widow is of sound mind. The wife who embezzled from a former employer was 1st to arrive to care for the widow and when it was just her living there I’d shovel the ramp from the house and in front of the garage in case she needed to get the woman out of the house before she had a chance to shovel herself. Just thinking in terms of the widow’s safety is all. Then after the unwed unemployed daughter & her kids arrived, the druggie unemployed son, and the husband moved in too I stopped but I make sure to wave and say hello even if I want nothing to do with them. When the daughter got married on the property I checked what time it would be so as to make sure I was done mowing my lawn so as to not disturb the event with lawnmower noise. Not that I wish the widow ill, but I hope that clan is gone before SHTF, but if they’re not I’ve maintained a cordial relationship. They may drain the widow’s assets but they can’t get the house itself, so the white trash neighbors will be gone eventually. The real relatives that actually own the place are great and the rest of the neighbors look forward to them moving here. The actual owners want nothing to do with the white trash looters and so once they’re gone they’ll be gone for good. Until then I will get along with them from a cordial distance.

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

we don’t have anything to do with the neighbours, oh we wave and say hello but that’s as far as it goes. I don’t tell them what I have or what I’m doing. as far as wife is concerned she is with me all the way, dosent agree with everything I do or buy but dosent give me grief about it either, she even tells me what we need to buy next sometimes.

British Survivalist.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.