Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Do you do this?

A couple of the young men to be in our group were here today and helped me with a list of stuff I needed to get done in preparing for winter (5 months away or so here). Cleaned the chimneys out, caulked and sealed a bunch of stuff, and hauled up 3 more cords of already split firewood out of the woods up to the woodpile by the house. A friend who was visiting thought we were crazy! But it’s only June! Yeah, but it is also warm and there isn’t 12″ or more snow on the ground either!

I checked online around here and a cord of split, seasoned wood is going for $250 unstacked! Imagine what it will go for if the Iraq/Syria thing gets worse. Think we should step up the wood splitting and start a sideline business! What’s it going for in your area?

One of my summer projects was I wanted a secure place to transfer frozen food to if needed – outside in case something happens and can’t use solar generator. Yeah for strong young men. Hauled a non-working chest freezer they found on craigs list for free, set it up near the appropriate door outside and built a cabinet to disguise it for me.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

I do think you are doing the right thing with collecting the wood and am glade the two young men helped you so much. If the grid goes down for any reason you will be looking real good with the wood.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Definitely put them to work, get them used to a working lifestyle. Even if nothing happens, they will be the better for it.

We had half an inch of snow last Tuesday, nights are still chilly.
    Need to call a customer who offered a mess of long dead trees that need cut nearby.

Where we moved from, $125-150 a cord, split and dumped.
    Here? No clue. The local timber company sells ‘drops’ and trims for $25 a pickup load, but its normally green cut and needs to sit.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Yes Tweva, actually we do.
    At my BOL me (and everybody else there) use A LOT firewood, so it is quite important and everyday job, and winter there can be pretty hard.
    Lot of that resources around us so it is not hard in terms of finding, yea by the law we should pay for that, but in reality nobody doing that. Area is just too big.

For those who buy wood, price here goes around $50 for cubic meter (split), but it can vary a lot.
    And if I understand 1 cubic meter is 0.3 cord.

Profile photo of etxgranny
    etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

Texas gets extremely hot in the summer but repairs have to be made and stock replenished. We do most of the outdoor maintenance in the spring or the early morning. I think my major summer prep is growing and harvesting our garden. Some produce is frozen and most is canned for later use. Gutters are worked on before our rainy season and fireplaces are cleaned before they are needed. I have been through a fire caused by creosote build-up so a thorough cleaning is very important. As for wood I have no idea how much it sales for here but am shocked by the prices you all have posted. We work on the count of 3 for firewood; 1 is seasoned and stacked, 2 is seasoned but in the barn, and 3 is seasoning.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

Last year I paid $175 a cord cut split & delivered (but not stacked). Not sure what this year’s price is but I have 4 cords on order for delivery Sept./Oct. My system is sometime after Labor Day I move roughly 2.5 to 3 cords onto my front porch from the main wood storage area. New wood then gets delivered Sept/Oct and is stacked in the main wood storage area which holds 8 cords. I then start the winter with about 10 – 11 cords. I use only 4 to 5 cords a year so I am always at least a year ahead of myself. After the 3 cords that I load onto the porch are burnt I then bring wood in from that storage area until winter is over. Come TEOTWAWKI, I’d have to get wood myself form my woods, but until then I’ll stick with the current system. Any trees that come down on my property during the year end up in my wood pile.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.