Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

I hope this section won’t become a religious dispute between people here. I know that there are a few Christians here, as well as others who have other beliefs and perspectives, but it would be a needless fight for anyone to get into arguments about religion. While we may differ in many ways, and I am not ecumenical, we can perhaps be unified by a common interest in prepping and discussing many aspects about it.

I am a Bible-believing Christian and that shapes my perspective on preparedness. I am very experienced in many hard things in life. I’ve made a promise to myself that I will say the hard things when I need to.

I am mindful of some parts of the Bible that may be of help to other Bible believers, especially those who may wonder if preparedness is a way of not trusting and relying in God for their needs; a betrayal of faith, if you like. I offer those quotes here for anyone to read. I know not everyone will agree with me; this is for those who might like to know of them.

“Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!
    It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest.
    “How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep?
    A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest; and poverty will come on you like a thief, and scarcity like an armed man.” – Proverbs, chapter 6, verses 6-11.

While some teach this as an instruction to endless labor, I think the main point is to work for what you want to receive; to not think that working to prepare for our needs is to not trust in God. Just as a farmer doesn’t expect his crops to fall from the sky but plants seed and trusts to God for the growth, so any person should prepare for what they see as their future need. If we see hard times coming, we should prepare as best we can, and trust God for what we can’t control.

“The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.” – Proverbs, chapter 21 verse 20.

The foolish make no plan for their future, but the wise prepare for their future need.

The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and pay the penalty. – Proverbs chapter 27 verse 12.

Anyone who does not provide for their relatives, and especially for their own household, has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever. – 1 Timothy chapter 5 verse 8.

I believe that the Bible validates the position we should prepare for what we can see is coming, as well as for things that may come by surprise, such as a fire or a disaster.

We should also be mindful that our modern fast-food, refrigerated, electrified, way of life is a modern invention. Through most of history, and still is in many places in the world, people had to prepare and store, or they would starve. This wasn’t a matter of lack of faith, but of necessity and being wise. It’s our modern way of life that is the deceiver and is unnatural: being able to rely on going to the shops any day for what we want is product of modern technology that can easily fail if an essential function fails.

I believe that preparedness is a biblical position, and that prepping is not being unfaithful to God.

Bugs Bunny: "I speak softly, but I carry a big stick."
    Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

Elijah,
    Thank you so much for sharing!
    All of this is exactly on-point with my views on preparedness.
    I got saved in 2010, and in 2011 while I was still not really following Christ, I heard the Holy Spirit tell me to begin preparing for my family. This was the first time I really heard God’s voice (aside from my salvation) and knew I had to do what He said.
    I am now a fully-devoted follower of Jesus and a prepper. I believe the two go hand in hand for this reason:
    Who is going to spread the word of God in a post-collapse world?
    Definitely not the looters, thieves, murders, rapists, and gangs roaming around looking to take what you have and kill you.
    In fact, they will need to hear the word of the Lord!
    Many think discipleship ended with the original 12. It did not, and it will continue in a SHTF world in the most biblical sense.
    I am blessed right now to live in a peaceful city, state, and country where I can freely study the scriptures and arm myself with the Word of God so that when the day comes, I can pass those words on to others who can then pass them on and on.
    THAT is what Jesus intended us to do!
    Hannah

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

Thank you, Hannah, for your encouragement; you are kind.

There is an additional item I have recalled only now that’s not in the first post, and that is the belief by some that the Church will be taken out of the way (I expect you know what I mean, without me having to spell that out here) and will not go through such tribulation. They therefore conclude that prepping is pointless and also shows a lack of faith in God’s words.

My answer is that there have been countless shtf incidents throughout history, and Christians have often had to go through them; in fact, in many of them Christians have been especially targeted for death, as still happens today. Every year tens of thousands of professing Christians are victimized, beaten, tortured, imprisoned, mutilated or murdered for no reason other than claiming to be followers of Christ, but the media almost never mentions any of this and most people are unaware that it is happening.

The future event we await for the Church will happen at the right time, but for everything else we should prepare as best we can and trust Christ to intercede for us for the rest.

Yosemite Sam: "Oh yeah? Well I speak LOUD! and I carry a BIGGER stick! and I use it, too!" BAM!

Profile photo of sarge4741
    sarge4741
    Survivalist
    member1

Great posts, Elijah and Hannah! As far as the Rapture, I’m ready, brother. One thing that I have considered, is that maybe the Lord will not take all of his Believers in the Rapture…maybe He will leave some Preppers around in order to help and serve (and, no doubt, suffer) during the Tribulation period.
    – Sarge

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

I strongly believe in preparing for disaster and hard times. I also believe in self-defense. And, I’m not at all sure we will be taken away before the Great Tribulation. Remember, in Revelation, the martyred saints were asking “How long, O Lord?” and His reply was +/- “until your brothers that are destined to die, have died.” (Yes, it’s a paraphrase.) And I agree with Elijah, there are many historical episodes of suffering and death that believers went through. With all the suffering they endured, do we think that we will escape, home free?

Americans, especially, feel they are God’s “chosen” and therefore He will give them all the goodies they want and keep them safe from all harm. Yet, our deaths may glorify Him. We need to make sure our lives do, also.

1Peter 4:12, 13: Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you. But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.

Romans 5:3: Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance… WHAT! Rejoice??? Not in the USA! But Third World people accept that suffering is part of life, and they deal with it.

I think that this “comfort” and “safety” attitude is what will kill many people when things go down. They just will not be able to cope with pain and discomfort. To me, attitude is the first prep. I have seen other women with us on mission trips who could not cope with Asian toilets or lack of TP, much less ‘going’ behind a bush or building. . . But I digress. My point is that God does not automatically insulate us from the evil and discomfort of this fallen world. It is a fact of life as we know it.

If your will to live is strong, and your faith in God is strong, He will walk beside you through fire and flood, to hell and back, which He did for us, several times. He also gave us a brain. Use it. Prepare, train, improvise, adapt, live.

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

I think a lot of us will suffer as Jesus did. I cant say it doesn’t scare me, but I know Who goes before me! Christians being removed before anything bad happens just isn’t biblical (“whoever loses their life for me will find it.”) Until my Father decides its time for me to come home to Him, I’ll be here prepping, loving my family, and telling it on the mountain, over the hills, and everywhere!

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Amen, Hannah!

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Love this post! Elijah, I was waiting for you to mention the wise virgins and the oil in their lamps! Since you didn’t, I will add it to your great references. I have often thought of prepping as being a wise person and keeping “oil in my lamp” so that I will be ready when the need arises. It does not negate my belief or reliance on God; I do it because I think God expects us to be wise and keep our eyes open and our hearts listening to Him. We also need to be in the world but not of the world. I think of this in prepping. I am not like other people my age who are retiring and looking to slow down and start living the life of Riley. (Not you, Hannah!) You know what I mean.
    We had a neighbor who said she was a prepper, but it was just too hard to put in a garden…didn’t get as much as she wanted…got too much of what she didn’t want…it was too hot…it was too cold…the growing season was too short. The list went on. Bottom line, she said it was just too hard. That is where I pray for strength for the day as the Lord provides what I need when I need it. I just don’t waste my time on fluffy stuff. I like to communicate with people of like minds. Therefore, I am on this website.
    To make my long story longer, I am going to move ahead; and I ask God for wisdom every day. I ask Him to guard over my chickens (Yes, I do!) and my little plants growing in my garden (Yes, I do!) that they will grow to produce what I need to survive. I also ask for wisdom for how to guard it all when SHTF. That is a major concern I have. I would like some advice. I ask God and I ask others for good advice. I know that the right information will be there when I need it. My part is to always try to find the right thing to do.
    Meanwhile, I prep.
    libbylindy

Hannah
    Hannah
    Survivalist
    member6

libbylindy,
    Very wise words! I ask the Lord to give me wisdom and guidance each day and pray for discernment as our fallen world falls further into darkness.
    I love that you pray over your plants and chickens! What a great way to lay His protection over your homestead!
    Hannah

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

The discussion in this thread had moved onto other subjects sufficiently worthy of having their own thread.

Therefore the posts that used to be found here about new revelations, the Vatican, etc, can now be found in the Modern Visions and Revelations thread.

This thread can be used for discussions on the biblical position of prepping.

Cheers everyone.

Profile photo of Bug
    Bug
    Survivalist
    member1

My pastor has tried to talk me out of prepping, saying it’s fear-based. He says I’m living in fear, although I gave him a printout of a blog post wherein I explained my position with relevant scriptures. He thinks that I was just “trying to justify myself.” He said God will provide and proclaims loudly, “GOD is my provider.” I’ve told him that’s one way He provides for us, letting us know ahead of time what will happen so we can be ready. I gave him the example of Joseph and he said God told him to do that (saving grain) – did he tell me to? I told him it was just common sense, and he says we shouldn’t do anything unless God tells us to. There are many arguments I could use there, like scripture doesn’t say that God told him to prepare, He just told him what was going to happen and he used his common sense to do something about it. I’ve given up arguing with him though because he’s the type of person who will always win no matter what.

Even if we don’t have to do anything but sit out in the front yard and let God drop food in our mouths (like that is going to happen – even when He dropped manna, people had to go out and gather it, and it was considered work that they couldn’t do on the sabbath) what about everyone else whose prayers will go unanswered because of sin in their lives? Does he not care about them? These things are going to affect us in some way, at least in watching our friends and relatives suffer.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bug, This is why we must store not only for us but for them! I know this is very hard but God will know what you are up against so God will help you with this hardship and will reward you in the future.

The Bible is full of examples of God people preparing so there is nothing new about preparing for the future.

But always remember to save and store food not only for your self but for family and others that believe in God.

Profile photo of WhiteKnight
    WhiteKnight
    Survivalist
    rprepper

I believe that God guided me towards the information that I know… why wouldn’t he want his followers to last into the crisis? He needs his messengers to continue carrying the message when it is needed most!

elijah
    elijah
    Prepper
    member6

A note to anyone who needs to know:
    Please don’t post any new revelations or words of Mary in this thread; they don’t belong here and will be moved to the “Modern Visions and Revelations” thread.

I originally split all the posts here into two threads so that this one can remain focused on the Bible in relation to prepping, and that other things can be posted in the other thread. Thanks.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Bug,
    If I were you, I would not have anymore conversations regarding prepping with this person. Personally I would LIE to him and tell him I stopped so he doesn’t spread it around that you are prepping. A person with this much personal conviction will never be convinced to change their mind. There is no reason to talk to him about it, his views are only one mans opinion. I believe the Mormons are requested to have food in storage so at least one sect is preparing in other than a spiritual sense.

We can have the perspective of, God has provided for us now in abundance, take advantage of it before the lean times come. Joseph had the Pharaoh store grain in preparation for the drought shortage why can’t we do the same.
    (Genesis 41:37-57)
    “And let them gather all the food of these good years that come, and lay up corn under the hand of Pharaoh for food in the cities, and let them keep it.
    And the food shall be for a store to the land against the seven years of famine, which shall be in the land of Egypt; that the land perish not through the famine.’
    And the thing was good in the eyes of Pharaoh, and in the eyes of all his servants.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.