Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of etxgranny
    etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

As a teacher of many prepping skills I set about putting together Preparedness Binders in the event I am not around in the future. I put together a one inch binder way back in 1992 that I thought was the perfect guide to use along with my lesson plans. Little did I know how extensive it would become? I like having and using my computer but I wanted hard copies. I took a subject at a time, read all I could, and tried it out before it made its way into my binders. It has turned into many volumes over time and I continue to add and update. These binders have a permanent place in our library.
    I print out the pertinent information, place it in sheet protectors, and catalog it in alphabetically ordered categories. I use colored paper to divide each subject for quick reference. On the binder spine I put the volume number and what subjects it contains; such as A-D. I include pictures and tips from our attempts, to aid the visual learners. Some subjects are so broad they get an entire 3 inch binder of their own. Below us a picture I hope LOL. If anyone would like more information I will gladly share what I can.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

We’d like PDF copies of everything.

etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>We’d like PDF copies of everything.

I could only wish I had it all on a PFD Whirlibird! I dont think my computer has that much memory lol. Anything specific I could help you with I will do my best! These binders span over 20 years of work.

Profile photo of Novus Ordo
    Novus Ordo
    Hunter
    rprepper

Granny – that’s awesome! Quite an impressive feat there. Yeah, too bad you don’t have a Kinko’s level scanner!!! I’ve collected a ton (upwards of 250GB) of electronic info so far, but haven’t near the time to see what works and what doesn’t so all I’ve done is organize it electronically. I have it in backups and would love to test and print out what is viable, but right now I just have copies in other than one location and can run a laptop off of a car battery/inverter. Hopefully I can share a bit when I get the chance to set up a standalone terminal.

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.
    - Thomas Paine

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>etxgranny wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Whirlibird wrote:</div>We’d like PDF copies of everything.

I could only wish I had it all on a PFD Whirlibird! I dont think my computer has that much memory lol. Anything specific I could help you with I will do my best! These binders span over 20 years of work.

Specifically, nope.
    But just thinking about everybody else here.
    The beginner could be aided immensely, the old hand reminded of things we always forget.

Me, I’m slowly converting all my old hard copies to PDF files. I keep an old hard drive and jumpers to keep it all on, packed away in a insulated container.
    But with half a dozen paper boxes full of staples articles and copies, this could take years.

We won’t even go into the books and gun/ammo information. If I never move again, it’ll be too soon.

Information I think everyone can always use:
    Food storage/canning, recipes for the same,
    Home living cheats, such as setting up a blanket covered tent inside during the winter so you aren’t trying to heat the entire room/house.
    The many uses of duct tape, baling wire, deck screws and zip ties.

I’ve been putting a couple of my ‘firearms classes’ in binder/cd form, both to help my memory and aid the kids as we progress but also so they are more easily handed out before a class so the students have a better idea of what we’re doing ahead of time.

etxgranny
    Survivalist
    member2

It was my intention with this post to help others organize their learned skills and knowledge into binders for their family’s and generations to come. I do realize that there are many levels of prepping and sometimes we forget that there are those who need basic information. As I am still learning this board and my fellow preppers who post here; I want to share the knowledge that has been my life for so long.. Not all people are as seasoned as others and one post does not fit all. No one person has all the know-it-all potential; I learn something new all the time.
    I teach a very basic class on what is needed for beginning preppers. I begin by asking them why they want to prepare and address their individual concerns. Most beginners just want to know they are not in this alone.
    It starts with Water, Food and Shelter. I recommend each person prepare a three day supply of each to start with and increase it by increments of a week, one month,3 months and so own. My reasoning for this method is so they do not get overwhelmed or burnt out over the task at hand. (Personally my group is required to have a one year supply of the essentials on hand along with ways to be self-sustaining.) Additionally, we store 3 gallons of water per person per day instead of the one gallon recommended. If you have the storage capabilities it is best to have more water on hand for food preparation and hygiene.

http://www.ready.gov/kit

The above link is for the “BASIC DISASTER SUPPLIES KIT” resource for those just starting out.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.