Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ox
    Ox
    Survivalist
    rprepper

As a long time scavenger/fabricator I’ve come to the realization that every time I see what others consider garbage or junk, I’m going over in my head different ways that garbage or junk could be used.

If you think in a primitive way you’ll be surprised at what this “junk” can be used for. If you have at a minimum a hacksaw with plenty of blades and some MAPP gas and brazing rods you can make almost anything from scrap or junk.
    It may not be pretty, but my philosophy is function first, looks later. Learn some basic lashes and knots for rope and cordage. This way you can tie almost anything together for shelters or storage. You don’t need to know the dozens of different ones. Just 4 or 5 of the basic easy knots and lashes will be just fine. There is so much information out there that can completely fry your brain if you let it.

Just remember: you don’t need to know everything about everything. A good dose of common sense and the ability to work with your hands goes a long way. Just as in living life – everything in moderation. The same goes for learning different skills and mindsets.

You don’t need to be an expert but you need enough knowledge to build upon to make yourself better and more efficient. The next time you’re out and about take a look at your surroundings and pretend you’re in a post SHTF world. You might be amazed at the nice treasures that have always been around but ignored.
    It will also make you feel better about things knowing that you’re doing this exercise and can pretty much bet those around you aren’t.

This equals better chances for you to survive post-whatever and them…not so much. Whatever you do, don’t follow the masses of “sheeple”. That’s how this country got how it is in the first place. If you’re on these forums you’re already different than most and it’s a good thing.

Keep up the good fight!

shadowfax
    shadowfax
    Survivalist
    member1

there will be no limit to the imagination when things turn crappy….EVERYTHING will become useful

Profile photo of lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Survivalist
    member6

Scavenging is part of my life NOW never mind after the SHTF, in this “throwaway” society there is so much stuff just tossed away.

British Survivalist.

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

In my opinion, in a grid down situation, there is no garbage. It’s kinda like the whole “maker movement/upcycling” way of thinking, in that “trash” can be used to make something useful. Which kind of leads into the tv show “The Colony”.If you haven’t seen it is well worth checking out, yes some stuff was pretty stupid and unrealistic, but it’s the concept of being able to build your way to success under harsh conditions while using limited supplies/trash.

There have been countless times in my youth where my friends and I have scavenged around and got a load of useful items to help build our little shacks and hid away places in the woods. Cordage, nails, screws, boards, you name it, we were able to find a use for it. And that is the type of mindset that people need to get. If we’re faced with a situation so grave that it’d be decades before we start to see signs of recovery, there won’t be ships coming over from china to deliver the newest stuff, and for sure the limited factories we have left in our areas wont be running (and will most likely be picked clean by us to repurpose the contents lol).

But being able to make new stuff, out of old stuff, is something we all need to start researching and developing. In my opinion, and for me in my situation, I see that as a more valuable skill than a lot of the wilderness survival skills. But that’s just me, and I’ve grown up doing both so I’m pretty good at it lol.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Toby C
    Toby C
    Survivalist
    member6

Couldn’t agree more! Many, if not all items, can be repurposed in some manner, it is terrible society is so conditioned to be as ‘disposable’ as it currently is…

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

When SHTF it is gonna be something like “going to the shop” , yes I agree, almost anything can be usable for something.
    In first period most usable stuff gonna be “stripped” and taken (weapons, tools, food, stuff from shops etc) as the time go people will realize that they can use also some other stuff ( fuel from tanks,batteries from cars steel plates and steel pieces from everywhere – for homemade protection and covers, carts for moving stuff etc)

At the end people strip door frames and parquet for fuel.
    Yes everything is usable, but since we are preppers here we gonna use common sense and scavenge usable stuff BEFORE non-peppers see it is usable actually.

People use to take cars in first weeks of chaos, abandoned cars or steel cars from people. Later they figured that battery and fuel from that car worth more then car, so use common sense.

And have some good tools!

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

I have to laugh, really LMAO…I’m sorry. But I was able to buy my farm and support myself, my sister, mother and 13 people for the last 25 years selling used stuff! A business that started actually by accident…just setting out to sell my own excess stuff one weekend day, before internet, CraigsList, eBay etc.Snow-balled. Been doing it almost half my life now. What we don’t accept to sell, gets donated to local nonprofits. What we don’t think/know they want we put in dumpsters. Have long-time dumpster divers have keys to dumpsters in exchange for taking out our ‘trash’ and keeping area neat. Even after they get through darn jerk people come wrap chains around the lock bar they then attach to pickup and try to bend the bar to pop the lids off. PIA!! If it didn’t cost me money or if they didn’t make a mess I wouldn’t care. But whatever…

I could write a fat book of what people do with stuff, say they are going to do with stuff…been a real trip. Maybe I’ll get out some memory sticks some time and post some pictures to inspire y’all.

Profile photo of libbylindy
    libbylindy
    Survivalist
    member4

Since I have begun prepping for SHTF, I have had a complete change of mind when it comes to reusing and refurbishing. Now I have decided to keep everything till my husband is about to go mad. Well, some day he will thank me – or he can have a bonfire after I am gone. Whatever! I save my plastic containers that they pack a bakery cake in and use the top for a planting container when I am starting my seeds. In fact, I do this with all the containers that I can get my hands on. I have garbage bags full of them and I scrounge through and get all kinds of stuff to reuse for all kinds of reasons. Waste not, want not. That is my creed when it comes to throwing things away. My old couch is just fine. I don’t need a new or different one. However, I did get a great find at a garage sale. They were selling an almost new sofa sleeper for $20! My husband said, “What are you going to use it for?” To sit on – to sleep on – what else. For $20? I will use it in my chicken house if nothing else. They might decide they like to sleep on beds!

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

There can be limits to what you scrounge.

My grandfather was a master at reusing every little piece of scrap and junk. Unfortunately in his later years, he also started collecting true junk not scrap.

Never to the level of “hoarders”, it was interesting to clean up after his passing.

My wife accuses me of the same thing, I take it as a compliment, I had a good teacher.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

If you save everything, you can’t find that one thing you need until latter when your done. Then it appears in front of you.

Profile photo of tweva
    tweva
    Survivalist
    rreallife

Well 1974t150v that could be a new thread by itself! Organizing and planning to prepare!

I am still wondering where the second sock goes missing so often myself.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.