Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

The Practical Handgun and the Truth.
    Have you ever noticed that as one ages, one tends to get wiser? I’d like to say I’ve become wiser but the truth is simpler than that, I’ve realized that my elders were often right and that certain facts and laws cannot be ignored.

Having entered my fourth decade recently, I’ve come to realize that certain truths are just that, truths. You can’t change them, you can’t argue them, they are what they are. Collective knowledge and experience filtered and handed down. Best to pay attention to them as much as you can, as you will be having to come to terms with them later in life.

The first truth is deceptively simple, there is no “Ideal or Perfect Handgun”. It’s taken me two decades to come to terms with this one. Having been a member of the gun of the month club, buying and selling, trading and horse-swapping for every type of handgun out there over the last 20+ years, I’ve owned, handled, worked on and used pretty much everything that’s come down the ‘pike’. Many were found to be ‘wanting’, others had some great features but were lacking in important places.

It all falls down to this. A handgun must be practical. So what does that mean? It means several things, and the most important part is that the handgun must be reliable, first and foremost. A pistol that jams every magazine regardless of ammunition used is nothing more than an annoying toy. A sloppy semi-auto that has little or no finish, rattles when it’s shaken, feeds anything that’s put into the magazine and has proven itself to be able to shoot into 4” from a rest at 25Y is a thousand times better than a 1″ pistol that doesn’t work every time and all the time.

After that, the handgun must be concealable. Why concealable? Because you may need to keep it hidden from prying eyes, neighbors that may not believe in handgun ownership let alone CCW, from the gaze of law enforcement officers who are well intentioned but ignorant of the laws and from the little fingers of your children and grandchildren. There is no safer place to store a loaded handgun than on your belt. You know exactly where it is, you know exactly if it’s loaded or not and if you need it, it’s right there.

Some models are too large to conceal, this generally means that they are either too large for defense or dare I say it, “too powerful”.Too large for defense? Yup, a .454 Casull is a great hunting weapon but has too much penetration and recoil to be used for practical defense. The same applies to the 8 3/8” barreled S&W’s, they’re easy shooting, light recoiling in comparison to the shorter barreled models of the same weapon but are impractical to conceal and hard to handle in a defensive or tactical situation.

The 1911 Colt and full size .40 S&W and 9mm semi-automatics are about the limit for most people to conceal on their person, and they’re also almost ideal in power and controllability for most people. The same can be said for the ‘mid-frame’ .357 Magnum revolvers like the 4” Colt Python and S&W Model 19 (66) and 686’s.

Most of the practical choices are not high capacity handguns, the thinner single stack models are both easier to conceal and easier to fit to a large number of people. If your spouse has smaller hands than you do, that should also be taken into consideration. Your weapon should fit you like a “glove”, falling into your hand like it was meant to be there. If you don’t have that feel, talk to your gunsmith and see what he/she can do.

Fit and feel are extremely important, if the gun doesn’t fit you, you won’t be able to use the gun as effectively as if it fit you. If at all. For me, there’s nothing quite so well fitting as a 1911 with a few inexpensive modifications. At the same time, if the 1911A1’s unmodified, it’s painful and impractical for me.

What does the “practical handgun” actually need? Good sights, a decent trigger and to fit the user.

Good sights, most handguns today come with good to excellent sights, if you are using an older weapon with little, hard to see sights, talk to your gunsmith about fixing that for you.A

A decent trigger? That doesn’t mean light, it does however mean controllable. A good, crisp, creep free trigger in ‘single-action’ mode is perfectly acceptable in the 4-5 pound range. A long smooth ‘double-action’ pull is fine so long as it’s smooth. Heavy isn’t always bad, having tripped on treelimbs while out and about with a handgun, I was sure happy to have both a thumb safety and a ‘stiff’ trigger pull.

So what is so practical about the ‘practical handgun’? It’s there. If you run into a rattlesnake that’s reluctant to accept that you were there first, or a coyote that wants to chew on your neighbors Pomeranian, it’s there to take care of the problem. Same goes for a defensive situation, it’s there ready and waiting.In dire emergencies the ‘practical handgun’ can put meat onthe table, signal rescue or any of a hundred simple duties, perhaps without even being fired.

Fed good ammunition, read that jacketed hollow points, the practical handgun is a defensive tool. Fed target ammo, it’s fun practice, a great afternoon with the kids or a newbie and with snakeshot it’s a means to dispose of annoying critters (mice, rats and snakes) with little danger to the shooter.

So what constitutes the description of a practical defensive handgun?
    Reasonable weight, say 30-40 ounces. Too much more than 40 ounces becomes a burden on the hip for most people day in and day out.
    A 4” to 5” barrel, anything longer gets awkward to conceal or wear in a vehicle.
    .38 Special/9mm Luger (Parabellum, 9x19mm, etc) is a good minimum starting point. Good defensive hollowpoints can be found in both these chamberings, snakeshot and cast bullets are available for inexpensive practice and small game gathering.

At the large bore end of the spectrum, the .45 ACP and .45 Colt are about as big as can be called practical. The .44 Mag is hard to control for many but loaded with .44 Special ammo, it’s a pussycat. All of these have good defensive loadings available, some with “better” defensive bullets than others, some are easier to locate in local gunshops than others. But all will work.

The ‘practical handgun’ is going to spend a lot more time on your hip than at the range for most of us. Think about the cowboys of the late 1800’s, that handgun rode with them all the time. It was there to pot a rabbit, defend against rustlers, put down an injured animal, signal for help, and numerous other activities.

Not all were “Colt’s”, not all were expensive. But they all had to do one thing, go bang when they were needed. If they didn’t, they were replaced as quickly as possible. They were a tool like any other, but an important one. Like fencing pliers, it’s hard to do your job without working ones.

You’ll notice that I didn’t specify any particular brand, caliber or working style, pistol or revolver.

That’s because it’s not up to me. It’s up to you to choose. Some people shoot revolvers better, some auto’s. Some people have more of a need for snakeshot than defensive hollowpoints, depends on where you live.

Me? I’ve simplified my choices and come up with a few that I almost always can be found packing. They’re well worn, used quite extensively and have proven themselves to be reliable. Do I expect someone to choose what I do? Nope, I made my choices for my own reasons.Evaluate your own “needs” and come up with a practical choice for you. Be realistic in what you need and can expect to need. If you are having to finish off wounded deer that are injured by vehicles, you need a different bullet than a person concerned with snakes or thugs. The simple answer may be to carry two types of ammo and switch as you need it.

There’s no ‘right’ or all inclusive answer for everybody. And that’s the truth.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Good one Whirly,
    I have a next topic for you if you like: Holsters.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, Great information. I carry a .380 when I walk the dog at night or go out since it is small. If I think I am in need of more power I will carry my S&W .357 revolver.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Good one Whirly,<br>
    I have a next topic for you if you like: Holsters.

As a custom holster maker as well as gunsmith, coming up.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Great article Whirli. Should we be looking for it in some future news stand publication? I carry a compact 1911 in 9mm. About a year or two ago i started thinking more along the lines of everyone in my house being able to use “my” guns. My first carry gun was a Sig P220 that mostly rode in my truck. It goes bang everytime but is a little much for anyone else in my family. I used to look at things as me protecting my family but as the world changes and my travels become more frequent I have realized there is a good chance I may not be around when my family needs protecting. They need to be able to practically and effectively operate my guns. The Sig was also pretty hard to conceal especially since I am a skinny rascal and don’t have a lot of real estate to hide a big gun. The Sig is a permanant truck gun now and I have since purchased some single stack 9mm for concealed carry and family guns.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

One of my favorites. Modified Ruger Security Six, 357

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

Good post Whirlibird! It’s great when experience can help us make good choices. I have a fondness for my revolvers but sure liking my full size 1911 (.45) that I just got back from Springfield’s Custom Shop. Scary accurate and hoot to shoot…

74, I really like that Ruger you have there. I’ve had good luck with Ruger revolvers.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Thanks Chester, I really like the penetration the 357 is capable of performing, and I’m a ****** for wheels.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

I dont like revolvers , and dont own one , but I think weapons should be simple , simple usually means reliable , not always , but most of the time . Simple means less can go wrong with them and they are easier for anyone to use . I have several pistols , but for the most part , they tend to all have that in common . The most ” complex pistol I have is a Taurus PT92 ( a direct copy of the Barretta 92 service pistol ) , after that I have dirt simple , I’m very fond of my Tokarev in 7.62×25 , I also have a Makorev 9mm , small , simple , reliable . Thats enough for me . For me , a pistol is a last resort weapon ……………even so , I want it to work when I need it .

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

74, nice .357!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Tolik, Using a gun is a last resort, but a hand gun is all most people have with them on a regular basis, so for me it is a primary weapon.

Tolik
    Tolik
    Survivalist
    member10

74 , I agree , for walking around day to day in public , your limited to a pistol if you dont want to attract the wrong kind of attention to yourself .

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Love my Glock17–fits naturally in my hand–but just got a KelTec PF9 to carry. Smaller and more concealable, quite comfortable with the extended mag. I have large hands for a woman (too many years milking cows and hammering nails) so small pink guns don’t work (hate that PeptoBismol pink anyway.)

Also have a Ruger .357 but not for everyday carry. Revolvers are simpler with less that can go wrong, I admit. The first handgun I ever shot was in 1987 on a little island in the middle of the Nenana River, Interior Alaska. I had asked the fishing guide to let me off there for an hour to do a watercolor of the spruce-snagged river with the majesty of Denali in the misty distance. He turned to go, then returned and handed me his .44 S&W. Coached me on shooting it at a stump–said he didn’t want to leave me unarmed because of the bears in the area. WHAM! No bears ever showed up… I still have the empty shell casing.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Hi Wildartist! If you have the time to type them up it would be interesting to read about more of the adventures you and Bushrat had in your travels. Hope your show season went well.

wildartist
    wildartist
    Survivalist
    member7

Well, 74, God willing, we will be writing a book this winter. Two in fact. One about my husband’s ministry in India after he lost both legs: “The Man with No Legs”. And another about our almost 25 years of adventure together: “Of Fools and Children”. (The saying goes, God takes care of fools and children…He definitely has taken care of us, despite our not knowing exactly what we were doing.) We have to spend October and early November going to a huge dog show (I paint a lot of dogs for people with $$$). Then of course some hunting when we return, plus doing all the paintings everyone needs for Christmas. After Christmas, we can breathe a little. Sort our preps, organize the house and RV, and write… Will keep you updated! Thanks for the interest!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.