Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Brulen – Take an online map and compass course. Many out there.
    Robin

Profile photo of johnredcliff
    johnredcliff
    Survivalist
    member1

I was curious if anyone knows about using a boat for escape? I live near the coast. I have been thinking a boat might be faster and maybe more difficult for unorganized looter types to catch up with? But if there is an official component, I wonder if that would be worse? Might be more obvious if a boat is out moving when there is some kind of lock-down type situation.

chester
    chester
    Survivalist
    member7

This is another good source for training. Instructors are very experienced ….Randall’s Adventure and Training

http://www.eseeknives.com/2015-schedule.htm

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

JohnRedCliff,

I believe using a boat requires a lot of planning to make it work and there are a lot of hazards. Do you have the fastest boat, is it quite, is the body of water big enough to get far of shore beyond sight. Can you come back in without drawing attention. An engine runing at idle can be heard miles away at night. Sailboats are totally silent but are deadly slow. If you are seen you are caught. Canoes and kayaks have very low profiles and are hard to see at night, they can be beached easily to make a get away, but again slow.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Johnredcliff, I know for stories about temporary evasions from the looters with small kayak, it was done during the night time.
    Simply it was great option because kayak was very small, silent and hard to see.
    And it was done multiple times.
    Of course every situation is (or it is gonna be) specific, but if I were you I would love to have some kind of small boat, kayak or canoe.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Considering many SO units use Zodiacs or other inflatables, this might be a good option. It is hard to tip an inflatable in the surf if you know how to operate it.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Robin
    Robin
    Survivalist
    member8

Johnredcliff,
    Question 1 – What are you trying to escape?
    Question 2 – Do plan to re-enter later?
    Question 3 – Where will you go?
    Question 4 – Would it be better to be “caught” for now and “escape” later?

Just not enough info to make a good call.
    Robin

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I will help out with #4: Never……. By putting yourself at the mercy of any opposing force you take away all your options. First thing anyone holding prisoners does is weaken them through food, sleep, and comfort. It is hard to run away when you don’t have the calories needed to run. Even harder when they slice a bit off a tendon, break your foot, keep you unclothed/unshod, etc.

Number #4 is never an option unless you face certain death as the alternative.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Actually I’ve given the problems of using boats a lot of consideration and I spent part of my life using boats and being around the water. The only viable way to use one is to not be seen or heard and have an opportunity to escape if discovered. To me that means using a kayak or canoe at night. Every other boat can be seen and intercepted. If it was required for concealment these type boats can be paddled filled with water to the gunnels. In an emergency they can be overturned to sink them below the surface and then refloated when it’s clear. During the day this size boat can be hidden in vegetation along the shore.

Profile photo of MountainBiker
    MountainBiker
    Survivalist
    member10

I think johnredcliff means the ocean given his reference to living near the coast. Kayaks and canoes aren’t an option there.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

MB, I would disagree with your assessment. Sea kayaks are very capable, although I wouldn’t want to be out in rough weather in one, but then any boat would be bad. The principles of stealth are still required in the same way. If you are seen or heard on the water you will probably be caught. A coastal watcher can see for ten miles in daylight. If someone wanted to block traffic along the coast a boat stationed every couple of miles out to sea would find most boats day or night. If you go off shore in a larger boat, when daylight comes you would be totally visible from the water and air.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Boats? A lot will depend upon which scenario is faced.

Tech down? It may well be as simple as waiting until a foggy night, ala “To Have and Have Not” to get where one wants.

It also may depend on just how good a muffler is used, and what speed?
    I have watched Fish and Game guys idle up onto people fishing on the banks of rivers before, unnoticed until the last second in broad daylight, the border patrol does the same.

Japanese patrol boats during WWII were routinely avoided by the coastwatchers in the Solomans, even when carrying downed aviators.

I’ve sat on lakes and watched small boats (10hp motor) putt along without hearing anything.

One of the best poachers I ever met had a midsize jon boat that he used to transport deer, as well as running a small trawl net. The boat was coated inside with bedliner to cut noise, but the key was the muffler system. 100′ away you wouldnt hear a sound unless he opened the throttle up.
    He actually ran right under two wardens on a bridge, they were too busy chatting about the previous evening to notice.

A boat opens up possibilities that aren’t available on dry land, plus the possible escape routes.

Saw a truck just a couple of weeks ago with a sea kayak, here of all places. It was heavily camoflaged and had an electric trolling motor mount on it. He was getting a multicolored skirt/cover repaired. I sincerely doubt its used for duck hunting.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Fog would be nice but it’s very random even in foggy regions, using a rainy night has a higher probability of occurrence and makes visibility nearly as difficult. Of course fog presents difficulties for navigation. In waterways with shoals and other navigational hazards it can be problematic when you only think you know where you are, sometimes you are in reality much closer to something you don’t want to be near.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I agree with Whirli. Small boats can be designed for stealth. Again, I offer up SO (Special Operators such as SEALs and Recon) use inflatables due to their stealth. You can lay down in them, use a highly muffled motor and even at full throttle will barely hear it. Use a black one at night and a brown/grey one during daytime ops. They hardly leave a wake compared to larger boat designs as an added bonus.

Selco
    Selco
    Survivalist
    member6

Johnredcliff,
    Question 1 – What are you trying to escape?
    Question 2 – Do plan to re-enter later?
    Question 3 – Where will you go?
    Question 4 – Would it be better to be “caught” for now and “escape” later?

Good points Robin.
    Event that I described actually happened (more then once) in small village (coast) in period where law was more or less absent, or even when some kind of law was there “actions” like plundering were even encouraged in a way.

Guy had information right on time about units (paramilitary groups of different kinds) coming to the village, and he simply took small boat and paddle behind small islands, rocks actually not so far from the place, and wait there to raid to be done.
    It was happening during the night time, in time when as I said organized groups simply go in night time and steal (and beat and kill) from unprotected villages.

Obviously it worked for him, but as I said every situation is specific. This was maybe more case of luck and right mindset.
    Fact that someone is living on coast (or next to river or similar) is I think enough to have some kind of boat in preparations, everything else depends on specifics.

About “Would it be better to be “caught” for now and “escape” later? ” question, no, from my experience definitely no, but it is my experience.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.