Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

http://www.podcasts.com/the_proarms_podcast/episode/010_save_the_blue_trail_range_and_a_conversation_with_bill_allard

Some words of wisdom from NYPD Stakeout Squad member and firearms instructor Bill Allard.

Mindset, attitude and wanting to win the fight.

Starts out about 20 minutes in.

Profile photo of GeorgiaSaint
    GeorgiaSaint
    Veteran
    member9

Thanks, WB. Might be old info for some, but had some good new info for me at least. For example, noticing which side the opponent’s gun is on (his left/my right, vs. his right/my left), then stepping once in that direction and crouching – what basic common sense to increase the odds of his miss over my opposite shoulder. Never heard that before, but it immediately makes full sense based on known human tendencies when shooting – one more thing to regularly think about, even imagine and mentally act out in various circumstances.

By the way – the web site Bill Allard gave at the beginning, shortly after the 20:00 point, is not accurate (http://www.adsi.com) – it’s a totally different company, apparently. I did a search on ADSI and got what appeared to be the right sight, but it doesn’t seem to be updated in the recent past and is mainly membership only for any decent info. But the rest of the podcast was very informative.

I was struck by his observation about how many “instructors” fail to truly assess finger/hand placement, for example, as long as the shooter is getting an “acceptable” score – instead of truly assessing HOW the shooter is actually making his/her shot, from foot placement up through finger placement, where the shooter is looking, etc. Interestingly, that lent some decent credibility the the next point below – self-study and then practice, practice, practice, including competition if available.

At about the 43:04 point there was a very interesting observation by Allard that goes against the “wisdom” of many. How did he learn? Out of U.S. Army Marksmanship manuals! “I was more or less self-taught.” And he stressed training, training, training, throughout (along with competition). For a guy that was only shot once, but won a huge number of gunfights, that says a lot. No, he didn’t train for every scenario, because he couldn’t. As Selco said, it’s very largely in the attitude one develops – and it’s not something that is simply decided one day, and then one is is “good to go.” A minute later (44:04) he says, “by reading those manuals and going to competition, it helped me to survive in a gun fight.” Again – wisdom from someone who’s been there, done that, and won far too many times to just consider him “lucky,” despite the attitude or even seeming advantage held by the bad guys.

I”m reminded of Teddy Roosevelt’s great quote from 1910:

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

GS
    "Ye hear of wars in far countries, and you say that there will soon be great wars in far countries, but ye know not the hearts of men in your own land."

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

One of my ex relatives was a old time retired Philadelphia cop. He had all kinds of stories to tell. His knowledge of guns and shooting is fantastic, if he’s still alive. I haven’t seen him for awhile. He was on a stake out squad. I had not heard 34 members of the nyc dept died at the World Trade Center. The ripples just spread and spread. His tips are useful. Things I’ve never heard before. We never get to shoot as much as we would like or practice as much as it takes. We have a badly split extended family between libs and us. Shooters and hoplophobes do not mix well in families. It’s a disaster waiting to happen. The sport of shooting at all levels is under attack.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Brulen Brulen.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.