Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr Red,
    Even in rural areas there will be movement of “refugees” At some point someone will have to tell them go away, keep moving, or some other communication. The person communicating will be exposed visually and through sound. Either a fortified position, armor or both will make this a safer duty to perform. Of course a natural formation of rocks or something might be found in the right place, but how many people will have that circumstance? Only a unknown percentage will acknowledge a sign that reads DANGER STAY OUT – your statement here (use your best judgment).

BTW if you were to place signs to warn people to stay out what should the sign say?

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

I got my carrier, plates and side armor in. Still got a few things to get to be fully set up, but I really like what I have thus far. It is surprisingly light all things considered.

http://ageofdecadence.com

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled,
    What does it weigh in at?

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>74 wrote:</div>Sled,<br>
    What does it weigh in at?

The whole carrier, plates, and soft sides weighs in around 15 lbs according to a bathroom scale. Only 11.5 for the plates and another 2 for the soft sides. The carrier is REALLY light, soft, and kinda cozy…. It’s like a snuggy for combat situations.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

I bought some body armor years ago for y2k. It was pretty much used but in good condition. I’m glad about that because in all that time I’ve only put it on once and it was for practice. Its probably still good as new sitting hanging in my somewhat dusty storage room. Since then I’ve reconsidered the need. In most situations I’ll ever be in (hopefully) I won’t be the person taking action I’ll be the receiver so I’ve been looking into the hand held shield dept. Run duck hide, cover my ass. Shields are good for everything. I noticed they were used effectively by both sides in the Ukraine riots. My old kevlar can become the lining for my new backpack.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Soft armor, lay it flat for storage.
    It lasts better and the layers don’t separate under pressure/gravity.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Brulen,
    I’m not trying to criticize here, but for most applications you won’t have both hands free so there is no way to use a rifle, and it can be separated from you when you need it. In a hand to hand combat situation I would love to have one. As kids we would occasionally have sword fights mostly with wooden swords. A metal trash can lid could save you from a few welts.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Whirlibird, the soft armor is easier for storage. I am not sure how good the Shields are and 74 maybe right, about lost of one hand will limit you.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Shields have their place.
    For static defense, for some entry work, they can be wonderful.
    For actual moving around? Nope.

There is a reason the shield carrier on entry teams uses only a handgun. Its all you can deal with thanks to all the bulk and weight.

Profile photo of Brulen
    Brulen
    Survivalist
    member9

The point of only one hand free I wouldn’t consider criticism. to give some idea what I was looking at you would need to find http://www.bulletproofme.com and look up the ballistic shield in use. Its probably someone who has an AR pistol or a subgun who would use it. One hard plate where the hand holds it to cover and its about 2×3 feet in size. Not perfect but in use with a regular vest a plus for static defense. Driving around since its not hard it could be hung on the inside of a vehicle door. That appeals to me. I’m a homeowner not a soldier so the sheriff won’t let me use the tactical armored vehicle lol.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

Save your cash and get a piece of AR500 plate cut.

Or two or three. For home use you could easily preposition several and lie in wait behind them.

Without a chicken plate, its only rated to 9mm subgun.

Secondly, even a bullpup carbine or subgun is a challenge to use when dealing with the shield. Laser sighted handgun is still the best firearm for shield work.

Between multi agency trainings, and a number of other callouts, I ended up with one of the two shields in the county more than once.

A couple of old soft vests hanging from the car doors and off the back of the drivers seat are much easier to deal with and cheaper.

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

“A couple of old soft vests hanging from the car doors and off the back of the drivers seat are much easier to deal with and cheaper.” Whirlybird

This is a good idea, used vests are fairly cheap. I wish I had 50 of them. I would line the inside of my van with them.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>Brulen wrote:</div>The point of only one hand free I wouldn’t consider criticism. to give some idea what I was looking at you would need to find http://www.bulletproofme.com and look up the ballistic shield in use. Its probably someone who has an AR pistol or a subgun who would use it. One hard plate where the hand holds it to cover and its about 2×3 feet in size. Not perfect but in use with a regular vest a plus for static defense. Driving around since its not hard it could be hung on the inside of a vehicle door. That appeals to me. I’m a homeowner not a soldier so the sheriff won’t let me use the tactical armored vehicle lol.

The military has used sandbags as static position and vehicle armor for decades. If done correctly I would guess-timate that it would be above a Level IV protection rating and is much cheaper. If I had my choice during a bug in situation, I think I would prefer lining a room or two with sandbags than depending on a 2×3 Level IIIA shield with a small rifle plate pocket. Not that I am any sort of SO or anything. Just what I learned during my time working with the Corps.

You mentioned tactical armored vehicles…. I have been thinking about getting an old POS vehicle and “zombie” it out as a “fun to drive to shows and cruises” vehicle. This would be for no other reason that it be fun to play around with (like an old rat rod) and if anything ever did happen, I would already have an escape vehicle however impractical that it might be. Like I said though, it would be fun to work on and drive around to small/local shows and cruise nights. The whole hiding in plain sight thing that would be amusing to boot.

Profile photo of Safety1st
    Safety1st
    member1

Hey ya’ll I’m pretty new to this and want to get educated. I do have experience with handguns, shotguns and rifles so I’m not a novice in that sense, but I am with gear. I also want to look into perimeter protection involving cameras, gate, etc. This may be the wrong forum section for that but any recommendations would be very helpful!

Thanks!

Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Glad to have you here Safety1st.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.