Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of 74
    Survivalist
    rnews

Sled I feel the same way. If I feel the need to have a gun for safety and defense, it means someone else might have a gun that may be pointed in my direction.

Whirlibird
    Whirlibird
    Survivalist
    member10

I look at armor as a last possible item to purchase. And I do mean last.

Too many of my younger customers have their tactical tommy AR’s, 16 mags in a plate carrier, and brand “X” pistol as well as every conceivable piece of gear a seal could throw away.

But while they have all this gear, at home there’s only 2 cans of spaghettio’s in the cupboard, and nothing for the future. They’re only planning for a gunfight. But what happens if they get in one and survive? Hope the person brought a lunch for them to eat.

So lets see:
    $460 for plates L4
    $400 Soft armor for inside L3
    $100 for carrier
    =$960

or

$250 for new $275 IBC container for water
    $500 for food items
    $100 for propane bottles (20lb)
    $100 to take the wife out for dinner
    =$950

Armor has it’s place but you can’t eat it.
    It’s the last item on the list.

Profile photo of sledjockey
    sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

That is the difference between one of these armchair commandos and someone who is mature enough to actually take care of their business. These tactical classes are so available and breed these young morons that anyone with more money than good sense can take the class and think that they are an SO. It also creates for very poor marksmen (in my experience), people with terrible safety habits, and individuals that are so wrapped up in their “proper form and training” that they are completely worthless if a duck flies over. These are just a few reasons why there needs to be more monitoring of these supposed “tactical training” classes. Maybe actually require some sort of license for the school and trainers so as to maintain a certain level of quality as well? I am not sure what the answer is, but seeing these guys mag dump at a range and then do their little combat pistol draw is enough to make me throw up in my mouth.

I have gotten to the point where I pass them a 3 1/2 inch shells in a 12 gauge and have them shoot skeet. That gets funny because they don’t have their gear to take up the recoil and their stance is for crap. The entire recoil just slams them in the shoulder and while shooting a 25 clay series I have seen guys tearing up from pain after about 15-20 shells. Oh how I love it………

Also found that about 50% of the people I have to fail for muzzle flashing me are the types that spend all their time on the range doing “tactical training” or “tactical training classes.”

Yes, I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about these guys. They are dangerous and if they wanted to be so high speed/low drag they should have become 0311’s.

http://ageofdecadence.com

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Forgot to mention that of all my preps, I don’t have any Speghetti-O’s….

I going to be eating good!!!! Just put back several pounds of dried prunes from my tree out back. Hope I can hide them from the family long enough to actually count them as a food store.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey That is the problem with the goodies stored. You will need to hide them very well if not they will eat them.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>freedom wrote:</div>sledjockey That is the problem with the goodies stored. You will need to hide them very well if not they will eat them.

No doubt, but I swear teenage boys have the nose of a bloodhound when it comes to food. Punji sticks and his sister’s dirty underwear to protect the stores then? He wouldn’t go near either.

Frozenthunderbolt
    Frozenthunderbolt
    Survivalist
    member4

2x front and back 3a + 2x flak prevention. and one more theoretical 3A (tiny plate in it)
    Don’t think I’ll need it it so much here.
    Looked at Lvl 4 plates HAPI but don’t think i can justify the expense vs the likelihood of *needing* them here atm.
    Edit to add; thats AFTER i’ve got most of my band aids and beans squared away. Young, yep. Dumb, not so much (I hope!)

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Question? Do you really need the side plates?

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Sled HAHAHAHA spot on with the bloodhound comment. My wife can smell a mouse fart in a tornado and apparently my kids inherited that gene from her. I have found decoys work well and find things I like but the family can’t stand.

Free, on the side plate question. If a bullet enters your gut from the front or from the side it doesn’t matter. It sucks either way. It really is more about personal preference. I mean body armor doesn’t protect well from a head shot. It does however present a smaller lethal area to target. That being said, if you are going to go so far as to wear body armor you might as well get full coverage of your vitals.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

Freedom:

There was a study done by the DoD that talked about the importance of side plates. Their assessment was that most of the injuries that could have been prevented (some 80% or so) by additional body armor.

My opinion (completely based upon research because our flak jackets were horrible and barely useful) is that having a scaled model for armor is a great idea. This means that having level IIIa – IV variable armor configurations would cover that. Level IIIa soft side armor for your cumberbun is about $125 shipped from bulletproofme.com. The side plates add rifle protection, which would be good in a fire fight involving long arms. AR500 start at about $70 a set shipped. The biggest concern I have is the gang-banger calibers such as .22 and 9mm. Those firearms are quite plentiful and it seems that most people have something like that as their first firearm. Having protection for that, but being able to increase it for possible “grandpa’s 30-30″ attacks is a bonus especially since most people will have nothing would put you ahead of the game..

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

sledjockey, Thanks for the info, I agree that in the city there will be more of the hand gun fights which many will be gangs with the .22 to 9mm and some .45. I do not think they are good shooters so head shot will not happen, they would have to get close for head shots.

matt76, Like I said in the city there will not be to many scope rifles shooting people, more of a close range shooting with hand guns and shotguns. So the idea is to try to keep everyone at a distance. So I got my answer buy the side armor.

Profile photo of matt76
    matt76
    Survivalist
    member8

Hey if anybody is interested Recoil Magazine has a pretty good article on body armor. It discusses what the different levels mean, materials used and a buyers guide at the end of the article.

sledjockey
    Bushcrafter
    member8

<div class=”d4p-bbp-quote-title”>matt76 wrote:</div>Hey if anybody is interested Recoil Magazine has a pretty good article on body armor. It discusses what the different levels mean, materials used and a buyers guide at the end of the article.

Recoil Magazine? Hmmm… I will take a look. Kind of late for me at this point (to some degree). My packages should be here today, but I still have some items to buy.

Thank you for the update. I appreciate it!

Mr. Red
    Mr. Red
    Survivalist
    member7

I’m one of the guys who doesn’t have any armour, nor do I really foresee myself getting any soon. I’m of the mindset of “high speed, low drag” for lack of a better term. Basically my rigs are set up to be as light as possible while carrying the essentials, being ammo, water, and IFAK.

But honestly, this is exactly what works for me. I’m currently living in a very rural area, and my best defence of my community is patrols out in the space who are quick, quiet and camo’d. Were I in a more urban area, however, where I wouldn’t be performing longer, on-foot recce’s of my communities perimeter, I would armour up.

It’s basically just a whole mobility versus firepower, or in this case, defensive equipment. I just choose mobility.

Canadian Patriot. Becoming self-sufficient.

Profile photo of freedom
    freedom
    Survivalist
    rnews

Mr. Red I think that you maybe right that it depends were you are and that rural areas are in less need of armor than someone like me in the city where there will be more closeup shootings.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.